Great Hockey Photos You've Just Seen for the First Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
I went back 10+ pages on this board and can't find the last pictures thread (other than the one about ugly players' pics), so I'll link the previous one to this one when someone finds it.

In the meantime...

What hockey history photo have you seen recently for the first time. PLEASE no flying Orr cup-clinching goals by the crease! Let's stick to ones you've come across today (go hunting google images!) or not long ago.

I'll start with:

GHA4.jpg

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Helmets in 1937? The fallout of the Ace Bailey head trauma probably. Here, Nels Stewart goes tumbling, apparently due to the stickwork of Gord Pettinger (the guy who crapped in the Stanley Cup after Detroit won later that year in the postseason and was immediately stripped of the captaincy he had just been handed days beforehand - hard to find records of it other than in two history books - and he was angrily traded away that summer).

Funny how both skaters are wearing head protection and goalie Normie Smith is just wearing a cap! :wg:

helmets-1937.jpeg

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Frank Mahovlich mugging Tretiak in the 4-4 tie in Winnipeg in the 1972 Summit series. Seeing it on fast moving blurry bad angle film at the HHOF twice (where the Summit Series was shown in its entirety on a loop nonstop for a few years back in the nineties) is not the same as a still photo of it up close and personal.

9771bfc65ab85a098e27480a9afb9e9b.jpg

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
The line of Gretzky , Perreault and Lafleur dominated early games of the 1981 Canada Cup but then Perreault got injured and Marcel Dionne joined the line and they did well until the final when the Soviets thrashed them 8-1 in what Gretz's calls the worst defeat of his career. He half-jokingly said afterwards, and I quote: "I played so badly, they should have sent me to Siberia."

Here are the linemates before the final:
gretzky-lafleur-1981-620.jpg

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Wille Löfqvits accepting bronze medal in 1980 Olympics. I don´t know if he is happy, joking or thanking hockey gods, but interesting picture nevertheless.

trekronor.jpg

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
I don't recall ever having seen before Lundqvist throwing off his blocker glove when Sweden won the 2006 Olympic gold. But then again. media coverage in Canada of it was short and it was out of the news within a day or two, unlike the prior (Canada win in 2002) where media coverage continued for weeks!

Olympics+Day+16+Ice+Hockey+0MftZniwKZwl.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ :clap:Awesome!. Great shots VanIsle.... and btw, migration still on-going with a lot of old HOH threads.

Reactions: VanIslander

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
This may be just embarrassing! I have worked as a newspaper journalist and know a staged photo when I see one (you probably do too). Apparently this is a version of kissing the ground from returning WWII vets.:speechles

glad-rangers.jpeg

Lesser lights back from the wars included the wingers shown above expressing their pleasure at being back on NHL ice at Madison Square Garden: left is Hal Brown, 25, from Brandon, Manitoba and, on the right, and Toronto-born Alan Kuntz, 26.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Staged sure but very cool. Always enjoying seeing shots of the so called "lesser lights".

Reactions: Cotton

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
One of the greatest international hockey games I ever enjoyed (that didn't involve Canada) in terms of intensity was the Finland vs. Sweden 4-4 tie in the 2004 World Cup. What a joy! It truly was the last great tie I've ever seen in the sport. From that game, here is Alfredsson jostling with 6'2, 200 lbs. Teppo Numminen (Teppo remains 2nd in NHL franchise Jets/Coyotes games played, 4th in career assists and 5th in career points):

daniel-alfredsson-of-team-sweden-battles-for-position-with-teppo-of-picture-id51262450

Last edited:

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
f09955324559ae4163f55521cc71bd3a.jpg

Good old school battle between Wayne Hillman and Réal Lemieux during the 1969/70 season.
Lemieux sadly passed away at the young age of 30.

03.plante.jpg

Ok, so it's been seen before, but I think it's a great shot. It was on the cover of Sports Illustrated on February 17, 1958

Ct6qZUZXgAAIA_m.jpg

Frank Mahovlich and Vic Hadfield being separated by John D'Amico

4ee2ea6c0b406003987ca0048762a5a1.jpg

Poor quality photo of Gretzky and Howe facing off in the old WHA

91e164ddf61b48942f892c56a604168a--los-angeles-kings-hockey-players.jpg

Bob Wall, Ted Irvine, Howie Hughes, Terry Sawchuk, Bill Flett, Wayne Rutledge & Bill White of the 1967-68
Los Angeles Kings. The Forum in the background

enhanced-buzz-29023-1354047478-3.jpg

Lionel Conacher and Roger Jenkins sharing the penalty box on December 10, 1935

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ :laugh: that works.... totally acceptable. My appreciation, valuation of Jagr just went up appreciably.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Here is NHL defenseman Jean Pusie with a pusycat. He won the 1931 Stanley Cup with the Habs, played for the Bruins and Rangers, but also was a pro boxer and wrestler and his hockey career was mostly minor league.

C8gLBQ5UwAA8PUR.jpg

Here is a description of his hilarious penalty shot:
The Bruins by Brian McFarlane said:
"He made each shot an event. First, he would stand at center ice and comb his thick hair. Then he would take a lengthy windup, skate slowly in on the waiting goaltender, stop in front of the nervous chap, take off a glove, and shake his hand. It was if to say, "My poor fren'. I am ver' sorry I must now make you look embarras' in front of all these people." Naturally, the crowd would be in an uproar. Hometown fans serenaded Pusie with a huge cheer, while in foreign rinks he'd hear deafening boos. Another whirlwind windup would follow and this time Pusie would take his shot. If he missed and his detractors booed, he was known to circle the ice, find an opening, and leap in among the spectators, looking for those who dared to critique his penalty shot performance.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I don't recall ever having seen before Lundqvist throwing off his blocker glove when Sweden won the 2006 Olympic gold. But then again. media coverage in Canada of it was short and it was out of the news within a day or two, unlike the prior (Canada win in 2002) where media coverage continued for weeks!

Olympics+Day+16+Ice+Hockey+0MftZniwKZwl.jpg

just a quick note in our defence. i'm sure they still talk about it in sweden, why would/should canada be obligated to have massive media coverage of another country winning? sorry but that just doesn't make any sense to me.

Reactions: CarolinaFlyerFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->