Great Hockey Photos You've Just Seen for the First Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The HHOF trio of Bentley brothers doing the old classic shaved ice stop pic, with a Max Bentley extra hop.

Max-Bentley.jpg

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The first NHL outdoor game was played in a maximum security jail against the Marquette Prison Pirates! (Back when inmates were still seen as part of society, having made a mistake and paying their dues.) Here's Detroit boss Jack Adams at the game holding the "trophy" to go to the winner. Since Gordie Howe, Ted Lindsay and company were playing, it was 18-0 at the end of the first period and instead of a third period they had a Detroit intersquad game for the prisoners to watch.

ADAMS2c-JACK-AT-MARQUETTE-PRISON-920607.23.jpg

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Espen Knutsen scored and assisted in the 2002 NHL all-star game as the first Norwegian to ever play in the game. Six weeks later he took the shot that killed a fan and brought in mandatory netting at the ends of the rink.

1014611.jpg

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Past Calder trophy winner Sergei Samsonov joined Peca and Pronger in the Oilers 2006 Stanley Cup run with a decent 15 playoff points as a third liner. (All three left town thereafter.)

I don't recall seeing this moment:
samsonov7.jpg

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I love Getty Images and I love Dominik Hasek wearing the number, er, 2, during the Canada Cup:

I would love that European goalies did that more. Wear traditional goalie numbers like 2. 18, 19, or 20. People were shaking their heads in some other thread because Czech Junior WHC goalie was wearing number 2.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
91e164ddf61b48942f892c56a604168a--los-angeles-kings-hockey-players.jpg

Bob Wall, Ted Irvine, Howie Hughes, Terry Sawchuk, Bill Flett, Wayne Rutledge & Bill White of the 1967-68
Los Angeles Kings. The Forum in the background..

This is a great shot. Bunch of really interesting players including Terry Sawchuk of course who was the first player the Kings signed. Went from winning the SC in Toronto in 67 to an Expansion Team. Wayne Rutledge who until then had been playing in the minors brought into Training Camp as Sawchuks hopeful backup, holding out for a $12,000 Contract, unsigned, Sawchuk then getting injured & unable to play forcing Jack Kent Cooke's & the Kings hand in acceding to his demands & good thing. Sawchuk having an injury filled season, Rutledge getting a lot of work & performing extremely well, superior GAA to Sawchuks.

When Rutledge was asked some years later why he thought it was that Terry Sawchuk was getting hurt (eye injury, arm etc) so much that season, he pointed to Terrys' equipment (see part of it above in the photo) as one of the reasons. That he was using the same Belly Pad, Arm Pads' etc that he'd been using since the late 40's early 50's. That Blocker Sawchuks wearing seriously dated by 67/68 however.... certainly more than sufficed in stoning Hull & the Blackhawks during the semi's the previous spring but still. Also amusing stories about how Sawchuk didnt really "take" to Rutledge. Wouldnt talk to him, and if he entered a bar in which Terry was at, Sawchuk would get up & leave. Not unlike the stories about Ed Belfour & his borderline contempt for Backup's....

Rutledge meanwhile despite his decent performance during the Kings 1st season (was in net for the clubs 1st win, 1st Shutout) became odd man out, bounced around, minors before landing in Houston with the Aero's of the WHA. got to play with the Howes, Won an Avco Cup.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I knew Pope John Paul II had played ice hockey as a youth in his native Poland and had a scar over his eye his whole life from a stick slash. But this is the first time I see him here sitting in the box for crosschecking. :D

51622211.jpg

:laugh: That photo was taken when JPII visited St. Louis, MO, back in January 1999. He was the honored guest at a Catholic youth rally held inside the former Kiel Center in Downtown STL. He did take a playful swing with the stick after receiving it, which proved he was MUCH better suited to be The Pope than a winger. ;)

They not only gave him the hockey stick, but his own replica St. Louis Blues jersey.

51622212-1.jpg

Last edited:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
This may be just embarrassing! I have worked as a newspaper journalist and know a staged photo when I see one (you probably do too). Apparently this is a version of kissing the ground from returning WWII vets.:speechles

glad-rangers.jpeg
If it weren't for the B&W photography and the old-style equipment, I woulda swore they were looking for a contact lens.

Last edited:

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
original.jpeg

Stitch me up Doc ! - Howe Morenz getting stitches after a game against Boston in 1930.

8337423189_1d5f294b74_b1.jpg

Win Green, the Bruins trainer on the prowl with his rubber gloves on, scary...
Looks like Dit Clapper waiting to be treated. Classy longtime Bruin.
I like one of King Clancy's anecdotes about Clapper.

"Red Horner once decided to take on of their [Boston] best players, Dit Clapper. As we were leaving the dressing room on this particular night, he said to me, “I’m going to stop this Clapper tonight!” “Well Red, you’d better be very careful because this fellow know how to fight, but you don’t know the intricacies of boxing.” “Well,” said Red, “I’m going to try him anyway.” Horner was game enough to take him on all right, but before he knew it Clapper had him down on his knees with a couple of punches. When I knelt beside him to ask if he was hurt, all that Red could say was, “Gee, that fellow can hit!”

1971-Gordie-Howe-Alex-Delvecchio-080065805.jpg

Two all-time greats in 1971 - Gordie Howe and Alex Delvecchio.

hipcheck.jpg

Old school hockey hipcheck by Bob Plager.
Kirkland Lakes finest, Bob, Bill and Barclay Plager learned that from an early age.

9919690.jpg

June 14, 1994 - Even rubber man Mike Richter can't stop Trevor Linden from scoring.

dennis-moore-hockey.JPG

January 1952 - Hey, not everyone can play in the NHL - Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry playing a game on the frozen Imjin River in South Korea during the Korean War.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
As someone working in South Korea, that river ice game between soldiers is fascinating! I'll be showing that to my students. Thanks.
I like one of King Clancy's anecdotes about Clapper.
"Red Horner once decided to take on of their [Boston] best players, Dit Clapper. As we were leaving the dressing room on this particular night, he said to me, “I’m going to stop this Clapper tonight!” “Well Red, you’d better be very careful because this fellow know how to fight, but you don’t know the intricacies of boxing.” “Well,” said Red, “I’m going to try him anyway.” Horner was game enough to take him on all right, but before he knew it Clapper had him down on his knees with a couple of punches. When I knelt beside him to ask if he was hurt, all that Red could say was, “Gee, that fellow can hit!”
Great photo of Dit Clapper in the infirmary. It's new to me. However, I'd read before about how Dit Clapper had a reputation as tough character whom no one wanted to fight, even the rough and tumble guys. In fact, Gordie Howe was compared to him later in this regard.

I've seen so many Dit photos in researching for the all-time drafts. But here's one I just now came across. It's Milt Schmidt swinging at a Rags player while Clapper looks on.
milt-schmidt-of-the-boston-bruins-slashes-an-unidentified-new-york-picture-id98675335

I'd seen that Bob Plager photo before because I dug it up to include in the all-time draft bio post I made of him last year. And that Linden goal photo I believe was in the newspaper back in '94. I've certainly seen it, and it may have been a clipping of mine (I used to cut out great newspaper photos pre-Internet age, as I've a longtime interest in photography.

Here's a Linden photo I've never seen before (though I've seen others of him in a similar position as that's how he often releases a shot):
trevlinden.jpg

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Rookie Ken Dryden raises the "Number 1" finger sign in team celebration after his Conn Smythe performance in 1971. This photo makes me think of vampires out for blood, then of zombies getting a piece of flesh.:laugh:

Dryden_Cup_1976.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ awesome, nice work guys. Some rare photo's & a few Ive never seen before. Thanks for sharing. :thumbu:

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Reactions: VanIslander

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Looks like Gaspé amateur league late 1940s, early 1950s. Outdoor - afternoon shadows.

C58?. Plz. :eyeroll: ..... That shot was taken during a practice in 1956 at Cortina d'Ampezzo during the Olympics', Denis Brodeur a member of the Kitchener-Waterloo Dutchmen representing Canada.... And yes, VanIsle wondering if Denis wasnt some freak of nature hiding a HellBoy iron fist or face sized web fingered hand in that Steampunk Blocker of his..... Ha?..... Ive seen alotta goalie equipment in my day, even used a felt blocker for a spell (old Cooper~Weeks navy blue felt jobbie, heavy as lead, as in atomic #82) but Ive never seen anything like that one before. Certainly, ah.... "interesting"?... Regardless, gotta love Denis Brodeur. Terrific little Goalie himself back in the day, wonderful photographer, great family man. Beyond Martin, another Son who was an excellent baseball player in the Expos' organization I believe.

Reactions: VanIslander

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ :laugh: unreal... more Steampunk. Love it! Inspiration for the costumer who later
worked on the 1936 Flash Gordon serials starring Buster Crabb. Absolutely bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad