Great Dissapointments/Busts in Canes history (14-15 avatar theme discussion)

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
What about Jamie McBain? I realize he lasted a few seasons so can't be considered a bust, but here is a guy that early on, many expected him to maybe become a top pairing guy (or at least top 4) with a lot of offense. Talk about disappointment, although he was a part of getting Sekera, the Canes were basically giving him away at the end.

I thought about him but you can't really complain, I don't think, when you get Sekera out of the whole thing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I thought about him but you can't really complain, I don't think, when you get Sekera out of the whole thing.

Yeah true, except I think (but do not know for sure) that McBain was more of a throw-in on that deal than anything.

Still, if I look at draft picks/prospects over the past 10 years and how expectations grew on this board only to be dashed, Dalpe, Boychuk and McBain rise to the top of the list for me. Right or wrong, I had hopes Dalpe and Boychuk would be top 6 regulars by now and that McBain would be a 40+ point defensman playing in the top 4.

In terms of guys acquired by UFA / Trade? Ian White (as HalleJokel stated), Oleg Tverdovsky and Tomas Kaberle are at the top of the list defensively (even above Melichar because I didn't have high expectations for him). Anthony Stewart, as well as a few others already mentioned above are on my list for forwards.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Nate Hagemo? 2nd round pick in 2005 who's career went into a downward spiral and crashed with drugs after a shoulder injury in college. Kind of a sad story though..

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Nate Hagemo? 2nd round pick in 2005 who's career went into a downward spiral and crashed with drugs after a shoulder injury in college. Kind of a sad story though..

I thought about him too, but agree that the story is too sad to run with on this kind of thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad