Great Dissapointments/Busts in Canes history (14-15 avatar theme discussion)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Just moving the talk to its own thread:

Makes me like the idea of doing an avatar theme of the great fails/busts of Canes history heading into next season. Maybe a little bit of pre-emptive negativity is just what we need.

Pretty sure that Kev has a pre-emptive claim on Igor Knyazev even if I've never seen him with an avatar on here before.

I'm totally for that. Create a Canes version of an MLB "negative WAR" team. I'm pretty sure someone's had an Anson Carter avatar at some point...

Dibs on Jeff Hereema. I thought that schmo was going to be the real deal. Whoops.

I dibs this one.

images

Dibs on Dwight Helminen

What do you plan to do, take a picture of the jersey on your back and use that as an avatar?

Unless you got a better idea? :)

Do quad A guys that we signed as UFAs really count if they never had that much hype to begin with?

I mean guys like Welsh, Boychuk, Dalpe, Heerema, Knyazev, Tselios, and some other draft picks came with a good bit of hype which they never came even close to living up to.

And then there's guys that were either previously good NHL players like Kaberle, Carter, Belanger, and Pellerin that sucked here for whatever reason.

And plenty of others like Melichar, Letowski, Hamilton, etc. who management tried to convince us were decent players but quite obviously were nothing even close to what they sold.

Really not much difference between a guy like Helminen and a guy like say Michael Ryan, expectations weren't much for either guy, though I know I thought Helminen could compete for our #4C spot for a bit.

Edit: THE LIST:

Igor Knyazev reserved for totalkev if he wants it

Cardiac - Pierre McGuire (great ****ing pick by the way)
Joe McGrath - Jeff Heerema
Carolinas Identity - Philippe Paradis (or Dwight Helminen)
Wolfpuck - David Tanabe
Blueline Bomber - Anton Babchuk
Lucky Lindy - Mike Murphy
HalleJOKEL - Win and you're In, 5-1 loss (or Ian White)
Wild Caniac - Tomas Kaberle
GenoLucia - Nikos Tselios
Finlandia WOAT - 2009 offseason
These is the Times - Frederik Andersen
Sad King Jimmy - Drayson Bowman
Skinned Alive - Zac Dalpe
Anton Dubinchuk - Josef Melichar
Gotta Catch em Staal - Sandis Ozolinsh
Anton Budobin - Oleg Tverdovsky
Skydog - Harold Druken
DaveG - Jesse Lane

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I think if this is just a theme for the playoffs/draft/offseason then we stick to guys we drafted. If we're going to go into next season with it then any and all forms of disappointing players are welcome.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Well not what I was thinking in that, if we were doing this as a draft/offseason theme then yeah, scratch Helminen out.

I'm just trying to think of how Helminen could be considered a disappointment/bust in the first place for us.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't know if this would count, but I wouldn't mind something along the lines of Frederik Andersen, finally get a 7th round steal, refuses to sign. Sure was disappointing to me.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I'm calling Stephane Yelle, Aaron Ward and Tom Kostopulous.

#grittyleadership

It's easy to hate on Aaron Ward but let's not forget how good he was for us in his first stint. He was a warrior during the cup run playing through a bad concussion and giving us solid defense.

He was so bad the second time around it was embarrassing to watch but I'm forever grateful to him for his contributions to the cup win.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Whomever gets Igor Knyazev, you must have him in his tuxedo.

As far as I know, it's the only known photo of Igor Knyazev in existence, so I'm not sure I have a choice. And with the current setup, he's my obvious choice (thanks DaveG for saving him for me). My all-time favorite bust is Pavel Brendl, but we didn't draft him No. 4 overall, so I guess I can't hold that against us. I also seriously hold a grudge against Danny Richmond, so he's out there if anyone wants him.

Also, not only was he a bust, but my least favorite Hurricanes' player ever is David Tanabe. Not only did he waste a stunning amount of talent, but he was an giant @$$hole as a person. Nice pick, Wolfpuck.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad