Great Dissapointments/Busts in Canes history (14-15 avatar theme discussion)

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I know I called Hareema, but I've never had an avatar so I'll just put him back out there for someone who might actually use it.

I'll try to think of a good Whalers one so you young southern folk can grab the best Carolina specific busts.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Can I call Fredrik Anderson? His inability to sign a quality prospect is another aspect of JR's bustiness.

How can you put that on JR? His agent screwed us on Hofmann, too. There are limitations to how much he can sign them for as well as bonus limits so if the guy sees a better opportunity elsewhere how are you supposed to force him to sign?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
True, it was the agent that screwed the Canes, and he actually screwed Hofmann as well, since he wasn't able to re-enter the draft because of no transfer agreement in place, so as of right now, his rights are still owned by the Canes (not sure what happens this year though).

http://gocheckers.com/articles/11-hofmann-to-re-enter-draft-updated.html

UPDATE: According to the Hurricanes, because Switzerland did not sign the NHL transfer agreement, Hofmann was unable to re-enter the draft and remains property of Carolina. He will stay on the organization's reserve list indefinitely, and Carolina will again attempt to sign him next summer. Despite the change in his status, Hofmann is not expected to play in the AHL during the coming season.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
To me the disappointment as related to this thread like I mentioned on the last page was that we finally got a 7th round steal and he refused to sign. I think that counts for something. But I don't really blame JR for that. I think he fits this theme overall.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Can I call Fredrik Anderson? His inability to sign a quality prospect is another aspect of JR's bustiness.

These is the Times took him a few posts before this. I can give you Hofmann though if you want to take the similar disappointment due to agent screw job route.

I'm leaning towards Jesse Lane right now myself... if I can find a picture of him.

Might take Carter or Pelletier if I can't find one.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
These is the Times took him a few posts before this. I can give you Hofmann though if you want to take the similar disappointment due to agent screw job route.

I'm leaning towards Jesse Lane right now myself... if I can find a picture of him.

Might take Carter or Pelletier if I can't find one.

It's small, but here's one of Lane:

http://www.uscho.com/2001/11/14/lane-leaves-harvard-for-quebec-league/

If we can go non-Canes-draftees, I'm thinking Oleg Tverdovsky. Otherwise, maybe JMFJ.

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
Does our 5 minutes of Patrick O'Sullivan count?

Otherwise, I'm trying to decide between Bobby Hughes, Patrick Eaves and maybe Jeff Hamilton.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hamilton is a good one and I think Vagrant might want to claim him. O'Sullivan to me isn't really a bust/disappointment because he was basically acquired when nobody else wanted him, so my expectations on him were very low. To me he was a "let's try him out as we have nothing to lose".

What about Jamie McBain? I realize he lasted a few seasons so can't be considered a bust, but here is a guy that early on, many expected him to maybe become a top pairing guy (or at least top 4) with a lot of offense. Talk about disappointment, although he was a part of getting Sekera, the Canes were basically giving him away at the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad