Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Riley Barber 17 game point streak and 3 goal hat trick gives Griffins come from behind 5-2 victory in Cleveland to finish the AHL season. After the Griffins fell behind 2-0 after 1, Riley Barber scored 2 (PP) goals in the 2nd to tie the game after 2. Josh Dickinson got the game winning goal early in the third and after killing a 5 on 3 for a full 2 minutes late in the game, Berggren and Barber got empty net goals to seal the Griffins victory.

Goals scored: Barber (3), Dickinson, Berggren
Assists scored: Barber, Spezia, Shine, Berggren, Lashoff, Dickinson, Dove-McFalls (2), Martin

Berggren extended his scoring streak to 11 games and Barber extended his scoring streak to 17 games (2nd longest in Griffins history).

Brattstrom stopped 26 of 28 shots as he stood tall on the 5 on 3 pk for the full 2 minutes late to secure the victory.

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
Simon MUST go. Win % declined every year (except the short Covid season) under his coaching. Very poor team culture. Gotta go.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Berggren also got called up to sweden's national team for the Beijer cup. As a tryout for the world championship squad. Really hope he has a strong showing be awesome to have a Berggren, Soderblom line.

No, Berggren got a spot in WC.

He will dominate on the bigger ice surface.

Söderblom? It depends on how he plays in Beijer Hockey Games. He was not good against Czechia in Czech Hockey games but was really good against Finland, he was a force on the ice, something happend everytime he was on the ice and he was playing physical. If he takes a spot on the WC team it will be as a bottom 6 player.

Sucks that Edvinsson did not get a spot. His D-partner Christian Folin made it.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
No, Berggren got a spot in WC.

He will dominate on the bigger ice surface.

Söderblom? It depends on how he plays in Beijer Hockey Games. He was not good against Czechia in Czech Hockey games but was really good against Finland, he was a force on the ice, something happend everytime he was on the ice and he was playing physical. If he takes a spot on the WC team it will be as a bottom 6 player.

Sucks that Edvinsson did not get a spot. His D-partner Christian Folin made it.
Doubt that they'd let any player participate in both the wc and wjrs.

Good to hear berggren got a spot.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
How did Berggren handle the physicality of AHL? Did he play a physical game at all? In Sweden he was a pure finesse player.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Watching Berggren in person, he very much projects as a complementary player at the NHL level, which has pretty much always been his trajectory. His fans might take that as a slight, but it's not really. Complementary players can be key pieces, and I think his ceiling is as a premier complementary player. He'll never be "dominant," in the true sense of the word, in the NHL. But he has the ability to get to Nyquist/Tatar level, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

Christoph53

Jan 28, 2021
Watching Berggren in person, he very much projects as a complementary player at the NHL level, which has pretty much always been his trajectory. His fans might take that as a slight, but it's not really. Complementary players can be key pieces, and I think his ceiling is as a premier complementary player. He'll never be "dominant," in the true sense of the word, in the NHL. But he has the ability to get to Nyquist/Tatar level, and that's nothing to sneeze at.
Berggren turning out to be a Nyquist level player would be absolutely awesome imo.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm sure he just doesn't want to search for two new coaching staffs at once. They're probably on a short leash in GR.

Think Yzerman already did this with Guy Boucher and Jon Cooper. Their signings were only 2 months apart at summer of 2010.

His plan B Cooper went to farm system, and saved Yzerman's life 3 years later after Boucher was fired.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm sure he just doesn't want to search for two new coaching staffs at once. They're probably on a short leash in GR.

How much control do the Wings have over Grand Rapids personnel? Again, they're a privately owned team and it's run jointly by both the Wings organization AND the DeVos family. Maybe that might be part of the answer.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Dude that's what we've been saying for over a year now. I don't think anyone was ever saying he'd be an 80 point stud. He's realgud, and if he can be a 50ish point winger it'll be a solid win. Especially considering he was part of that 2018 draft class that gave us all false hope.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Dude that's what we've been saying for over a year now. I don't think anyone was ever saying he'd be an 80 point stud. He's realgud, and if he can be a 50ish point winger it'll be a solid win. Especially considering he was part of that 2018 draft class that gave us all false hope.
Oh I get where the bar is at, based on draft position. But I've received pushback in the past for describing him as a complementary player.

Dylan Larkin is a stud. Dylan Larkin averages 58 points per 82 for his career. 50 points is probably ambitious for Berggren as an average, unless you're talking about a career year down the line.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Oh I get where the bar is at, based on draft position. But I've received pushback in the past for describing him as a complementary player.

Dylan Larkin is a stud. Dylan Larkin averages 58 points per 82 for his career. 50 points is probably ambitious for Berggren as an average, unless you're talking about a career year down the line.

Dylan Larkin averaging 58 is also skewed by a rookie season and a sophomore slump. 50 points is solidly 2nd line, complementary 1st line like a Zach Hyman, Michael Bunting kind of player.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Dylan Larkin averaging 58 is also skewed by a rookie season and a sophomore slump. 50 points is solidly 2nd line, complementary 1st line like a Zach Hyman, Michael Bunting kind of player.
Context matters, but his numbers aren't skewed, they are what they are. 50 points in good seasons seems achievable for Berggren. I'm saying if you think he's going to average 50 points in general, you'll probably be disappointed.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
How much control do the Wings have over Grand Rapids personnel? Again, they're a privately owned team and it's run jointly by both the Wings organization AND the DeVos family. Maybe that might be part of the answer.
Red Wings selects the Griffins head and assistant coaches, trainer, equipment manager, and GM. They also assign 12-15 players to the Griffins roster and the Wings let the Griffins sign up to 10 players on their own, which they can assign up to 4 of those players to Toledo.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

scoring has also gone up leaguewide since Larkin first entered the league

133 players had 50+ points this year

Larkins rookie year there were 96

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad