Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Paetsch will sit if he is signed. I think that's the reason why hasn't been signed. Maybe he will wan't a regular role from elsewhere.

I'm 99% sure that the starting Top6 will be those five kids + Evans.

One injury and Paetsch is in. One callup from NHL, and Paetsch is in. AHL roster always changes lot more than NHL one.

Fournier, Nicastro, Nedomlel will be starting from ECHL.

Paetsch played top pairing and was their best D-man last year in all games not involving Smith. Did you watch the Griffins?

Looks like somebody we like is starting in the ECHL. Or they will rotate the kids, getting them ready while making a decision at some point. Honestly Paetsch could go up over Almqvist in terms of how the Wings will look at things should an injury happen.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Paetsch will sit if he is signed. I think that's the reason why hasn't been signed. Maybe he will wan't a regular role from elsewhere.

I'm 99% sure that the starting Top6 will be those five kids + Evans.

One injury and Paetsch is in. One callup from NHL, and Paetsch is in. AHL roster always changes lot more than NHL one.

Fournier, Nicastro, Nedomlel will be starting from ECHL.

Paetsch is already signed

and why do you think he's gonna sit? he was the best d-man on the team last year

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

and why do you think he's gonna sit? he was the best d-man on the team last year

Would take Paetsch over Lashoff on the Wings tomorrow if that was a choice.

Some of the lineups reminds me of the projections of Pare on the fourth line last off-season. That wasn't going to happen and some of the ideas that are just for solely Red Wings hopes aren't going to happen either. They play to win at this level, they will do certain things, but nothing overly crazy just to make some Wings fans happy. Since our organization likes competition they likely endorse this line of thinking.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Paetsch could have been the "Norris"-guy for that team but I think it's time to put a prospect in those shoes.

Like posted earlier, there's a decent possibility Paetsch could be that NHL 8th "DougJanik". Goes up for a while, great, opens a spot for a kid.

Pretty much the player traffic will be much larger in aHL vs. NHL, because the movement happens between NHL and ECHL. So there will be 5 spots for kids all the time, imo. Some one could get injured, that's how it always goes.

Kids have to play because is develops and if veteran sits, we don't lose any development. Evans fit in the need of physical D we don't have at prospects, so he should be a lock there all the time.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Interesting that they have Paetsch in talks and then have both him and Hoggan signed through 2015 on the depth chart.

I know we have a ton of D prospects to work in but signing all of our vets back will be big as we transition in some of the younger guys, even if it bothers people that look at this team solely as a Wings proving ground. The left wing looks rough down there. I expect Jurco is moving over to the left wing this season. He can play both wing positions and has, but with the way the right wing is stacking up I expect him to be solely on the left next year.

They need to find a taker for Fournier, maybe include him in one of the deals shipping out one of our excesses forwards with the big club.

Paetsch signing is great news. The Griffins usually carry 8 D and I doubt Paetsch would be in the pressbox. So 2 of the following will play for the Walleye or be traded. I would imagine that they would be rookies at least at the beginning of the year especially if they want to showcase a player involved in a would-be trade. They mat rotate aplayers to Toledo and back to get game time too.

Xavier Ouellet
Ryan Sproul
Gleason Fournier
Adam Almquist
Max Nicastro
Alexei Marchenko
Nick Jensen
Richard Nedomlel
Nathan Paetsch
Brendan Evans

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Paetsch could have been the "Norris"-guy for that team but I think it's time to put a prospect in those shoes.

Like posted earlier, there's a decent possibility Paetsch could be that NHL 8th "DougJanik". Goes up for a while, great, opens a spot for a kid.

Pretty much the player traffic will be much larger in aHL vs. NHL, because the movement happens between NHL and ECHL. So there will be 5 spots for kids all the time, imo. Some one could get injured, that's how it always goes.

Kids have to play because is develops and if veteran sits, we don't lose any development. Evans fit in the need of physical D we don't have at prospects, so he should be a lock there all the time.

This isn't a realistic way to look at how an AHL team will operate, sorry don't shoot the messenger. The Griffins like to help the Wings but they are a business entity in their own right. Paetsch and Evans are going to play. You might get the five kids if like you said the Wings make the choice to call him up when somebody goes down to injury. But that is really the only way, think Almqvist will probably go up in that scenario so they don't have to sign the contract with Paetsch, who is on an AHL only contract.

They didn't sign him to a two year deal to put him in the press box, that is a pretty laughable notion.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I could see Evans sitting if the young guys are really rolling, and Evans probably signed his contract knowing that. I don't think Paetsch will sit, though. He's a pretty solid player. But Evans is pretty much a bottom pairing guy, even in the AHL.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I could see Evans sitting if the young guys are really rolling, and Evans probably signed his contract knowing that. I don't think Paetsch will sit, though. He's a pretty solid player. But Evans is pretty much a bottom pairing guy, even in the AHL.

That could happen, especially against the lighter teams. Still think they probably want to play both most nights. And they will shuffle the deck with the youngsters drawing in and out.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Paetsch signing is great news. The Griffins usually carry 8 D and I doubt Paetsch would be in the pressbox. So 2 of the following will play for the Walleye or be traded. I would imagine that they would be rookies at least at the beginning of the year especially if they want to showcase a player involved in a would-be trade. They mat rotate aplayers to Toledo and back to get game time too.

Xavier Ouellet
Ryan Sproul
Gleason Fournier
Adam Almquist
Max Nicastro
Alexei Marchenko
Nick Jensen
Richard Nedomlel
Nathan Paetsch
Brendan Evans

I can see Fournier and maybe Nedomlel start off in Toledo. Paetsch was legit for the Griffins and he should definitely be in the lineup IMO.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I can see Fournier and maybe Nedomlel start off in Toledo. Paetsch was legit for the Griffins and he should definitely be in the lineup IMO.

Fournier played in the PO ahead of some so if he has any trade value, I think he'll stay up in GR to show his talent. At least to begin the year. The GR mgmt has shown that the best players will play so it's up to the 4 rooks & Ned to determine who plays in GR and who plays in OH (imho)

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Still going to have to play division rivals like 100 times a season or something :shakehead

The AHL schedule has to be one of the worst in pro sports.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Still going to have to play division rivals like 100 times a season or something :shakehead

The AHL schedule has to be one of the worst in pro sports.

Plane rides are too expensive for most minor league teams to do often, especially the smaller market areas.

Bus rides across the country are long and not fun. Minimizing them makes the most economic sense for the league. That's the only way it will work.

Johnz96*

I think Billins was their best. Woudn't be surprised to see him in a Flames uniform at the start of the season.

Johnz96*

Fournier played in the PO ahead of some so if he has any trade value, I think he'll stay up in GR to show his talent. At least to begin the year. The GR mgmt has shown that the best players will play so it's up to the 4 rooks & Ned to determine who plays in GR and who plays in OH (imho)

Not necessarily the best players, I think the main reason Fournier got playing time over some of the rookies that came in at the end of the season is because of his familiarity with the system, teammates and the league.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Billins was their best. Woudn't be surprised to see him in a Flames uniform at the start of the season.

Billins really played 3rd pairing for a lot of the year. A bunch of his assists were secondary. I hope he does make it and I wish him well, but he wasn't better than Paetsch. That would be a points/stats argument if you do it.

Johnz96*

Billins really played 3rd pairing for a lot of the year. A bunch of his assists were secondary. I hope he does make it and I wish him well, but he wasn't better than Paetsch. That would be a points/stats argument if you do it.

I watched the Griffs a lot this year. Blashill seemed to roll 3 pairs of D equally even strength, Billins played with Evans most of the year ES and was always on the 1st PP usually with Paetsch as well as being regular PKer. A bunch of his assists were brilliant. He has excellent hockey sense, mad skillz and is a good skater.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The thing with Billins is he got figured out over the course of the season. He's a good passer, but teams figured out quickly that he couldn't shoot from range. After they figured that out, he was a lot less dangerous on the PP and the points stopped coming.

He's definitely got skill, but he has a ton of stuff to work on to even be a callup. I think he looked a bit better than he is because of his early-season performance and also because the Griffins didn't have an abundance of puckmovers early in the season. Skinner took some of his responsibility, and then the arrival of DeKeyser in the playoffs pretty much tanked his icetime.

Johnz96*

The thing with Billins is he got figured out over the course of the season. He's a good passer, but teams figured out quickly that he couldn't shoot from range. After they figured that out, he was a lot less dangerous on the PP and the points stopped coming.

He's definitely got skill, but he has a ton of stuff to work on to even be a callup. I think he looked a bit better than he is because of his early-season performance and also because the Griffins didn't have an abundance of puckmovers early in the season. Skinner took some of his responsibility, and then the arrival of DeKeyser in the playoffs pretty much tanked his icetime.

Billins got more ice-time than anybody in the playoffs. As I said Blashill kinda rolled 3 defensive pairs (Billins was paired with Evans) equally ES, (he did it in the playoffs as well), Billins was always on the top PP and a regular SHed, made some great defensive plays and led the Griffs d-men in scoring in the playoffs.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You sure? If so, I think that supports my argument anyway. I watched the entirety of the final 2 rounds and I thought he was practically invisible at even strength.

He competes his little butt off. I will give him that, but I just don't see much NHL game in Billins. He needs to have significantly harder and quicker release to be a PP QB at the NHL level. He is now with a team that is arguably the worst in the league, so he might get some chances.

But the Wings didn't offer him a contract, so make no mistake there. He was never a part of the future plans.

But in terms of the whole season down there and their play

Smith was the best while down there
Paetsch was the best for the whole season
Almqvist was better than Billins in terms of all three zones and looking like he had NHL upside

The Billins and Evans pair was very effective, so that had a huge boost for both guys. At first Evans was kind of a trainwreck for the first 20 or so games. But they settled in and played well. Billins special teams play did increase his ice-time numbers, but it is hard to imagine him being used in either role at the NHL level, because there are serious deficiencies to date in both his PP and PK game.

Later in the season when everybody had figured out what he was, a lot of times he would play the half-wall on the PP and Tatar would have to be the point shot, just so the defenses would space out and that danger on the point would be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad