Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2013/14 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Griffins clearly have more jump. Heat players look more tired. Make 'em pay.

nickyno72

Mar 27, 2013
It looks like boys and men out there! Great to see after how rocky last night was. Round 1 is best of 5 right?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
It looks like boys and men out there! Great to see after how rocky last night was. Round 1 is best of 5 right?

yeah and the next 3 games would be in Grand Rapids

if the Griffins win tonight this series is pretty much over already

would be getting Ouellet/Jurco/Sheahan/Callahan(?) back and only have to win 1 game with 3 chances all of them at home

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Janmark, Nestrasil, Pulkkinen and Athanasiou are all playing with a lot of confidence.

nickyno72

Mar 27, 2013
yeah and the next 3 games would be in Grand Rapids

if the Griffins win tonight this series is pretty much over already

would be getting Ouellet/Jurco/Sheahan/Callahan(?) back and only have to win 1 game with 3 chances all of them at home

Oh wow! Never been a fan of the 2-3 playoff format in baseball, but right now I'm digging it. Even without Callahan that's still 2 top 3 forwards and a top pairing dman for them. That'll make them pretty lethal.

I also don't want to beat a dead horse, but Val-d'Or is now one loss from elimination themselves... would be fun to see, if even for a few games.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Both goalies have to be gassed. Ortio let in a few softies and Mrazek has let in 2 goals despite facing very few shots. Forunately, the Griffins have had the puck most of the night and have made in easy on Mrazek for the most part.

Its my first time seeing Backman and he looks like a better skating Dekeyser, which is saying a lot because DD is already a great skater.

Johnz96*

Both goalies have to be gassed. Ortio let in a few softies and Mrazek has let in 2 goals despite facing very few shots. Forunately, the Griffins have had the puck most of the night and have made in easy on Mrazek for the most part.

Its my first time seeing Backman and he looks like a better skating Dekeyser, which is saying a lot because DD is already a great skater.

More skill than Dekeyser. Made a beautiful pass to Emmerton to the side of the net that Emmerton should have one-tiomed into an open net, the pass had some heat on it (it needed to) and instead of one-timing into the net Emmerton stopped the puck and passed it out front.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
So it looks like Nestrasil seized his opportunity and is establishing himself as a legit prospect? A skilled 6'3 C sure would be nice.

Oct 18, 2006
Geez Nestrasil was done and dusted as a prospect but man he's been sensational over the past few months. With his skill and size it's an intriguing package. Could be worth seeing what he's got next pre-season.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Geez Nestrasil was done and dusted as a prospect but man he's been sensational over the past few months. With his skill and size it's an intriguing package. Could be worth seeing what he's got next pre-season.

It will be interesting to see how he does facing an easier match-up now that Sheahan will likely be taking #1 center duties for the remainder of the season.

particularsolution

Mar 17, 2009
Canucks fan coming in peace :)

Was at the Heat vs Griffins game tonight. Very impressive crop of prospects you guys have.

Pulkkinen very shifty and soft hands, absolute bullet of a one-timer on the PP for the 7th goal. Athanasiou flying all over the ice and generated two breakaways, one resulting in a PS, out of basically nothing plays. Not to mention Sproul, Janmark, Mrazek, etc... Must be nice having an AHL team full of great young players.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Canucks fan coming in peace :)

Was at the Heat vs Griffins game tonight. Very impressive crop of prospects you guys have.

Pulkkinen very shifty and soft hands, absolute bullet of a one-timer on the PP for the 7th goal. Athanasiou flying all over the ice and generated two breakaways, one resulting in a PS, out of basically nothing plays. Not to mention Sproul, Janmark, Mrazek, etc... Must be nice having an AHL team full of great young players.

I can honestly say yes it is. Not many organizations can make you still feel good the day your team is knocked out of the playoffs. But the Griffins do that for me.

The fact that Blashill said he's going to be there again next year makes me so elated to see what he does for Mantha, and Athanasiou. I was really worried he was going to get poached.

Johnz96*

It will be interesting to see how he does facing an easier match-up now that Sheahan will likely be taking #1 center duties for the remainder of the season.

He faced easier matchups up until Jarnkrok got traded. He started scoring a lot more after Jarnkrok was traded when he was lined up with better players.
I don't know where you guys keep coming up with this idea that easier matchups when playing on lower lines will mean they should score more easily.
Playing with better teammates is more important than playing against lesser opposition when it comes to production.
That is why on almost every team in every league the top line players score more than lower line players and why almost every time a player gets promoted to a higher line they score more and almost every time they get demoted to a lower line they score less.
better linemates=more production
more production=more confidence
more confidence=even more production

More ice-time is also a factor.
more ice-time = more production
more production = more confidence
more confidence= even more production

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
He faced easier matchups up until Jarnkrok got traded. He started scoring a lot more after Jarnkrok was traded when he was lined up with better players.
I don't know where you guys keep coming up with this idea that easier matchups when playing on lower lines will mean they should score more easily.
Playing with better teammates is more important than playing against lesser opposition when it comes to production.
That is why on almost every team in every league the top line players score more than lower line players and why almost every time a player gets promoted to a higher line they score more and almost every time they get demoted to a lower line they score less.
better linemates=more production
more production=more confidence
more confidence=even more production

More ice-time is also a factor.
more ice-time = more production
more production = more confidence
more confidence= even more production

You make some good points. Sheahan did better in the NHL than he ever did in the AHL.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
What were the lines, and how do you think they'll fit in Jurco, Sheahan and Oullet?

I would go:
Janmark-Emmerton-Pulkkinen(A current line that works well)
Athanasiou-Sheahan-Jurco (Greek has worked his way to this chance)
Ferraro-Nestrasil-Callahan (Strong checking line)
Hoggan-McIntyre-Grant/Parkes (Veteran line)

Paetsch-Ouellet
Backman-Jensen
Evans-Sproul

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would go:
Janmark-Emmerton-Pulkkinen(A current line that works well)
Athanasiou-Sheahan-Jurco (Greek has worked his way to this chance)
Ferraro-Nestrasil-Callahan (Strong checking line)
Hoggan-McIntyre-Grant/Parkes (Veteran line)

Paetsch-Ouellet
Backman-Jensen
Evans-Sproul

Scary part is you can drop Mantha in there for the next round if he doesn't pull his team through a game 6 and 7 against Halifax on Monday and Tuesday. Doubt he would report in time as I think the Griffins will close this out on Wednesday, though they certainly struggled slamming the door last year in the first opportunity.

Still that can drop Ferraro/Callahan a line, put Janmark down or what have you, that is an absolute embarrassment of riches. Weaton and Tvrdon should be around practicing as well. I know they actually have to win the games and other teams should strengthen in terms of the Wolves (I hope St. Louis comes back but...) and Stars (don't think Dallas pulls that out) but it is hard to imagine them icing better teams. We are throttling a Heat team that got all of their pieces to play with minus Johnny Hockey and that is without some of these guys, losing the league leading D-man in assists early and our second leading goal scorer out. Scary to think how much better this team will be when the second round starts after a week of practice and all the guys ready to go. I will be disappointed if they don't repeat they have the lineup, coaching and goalie that really they should win.

For the record I would play Nasty over Grant/Parkes. He has impressed me with his three zone game already. Tootoo is a scratch for this team, a former NHL player making almost 2 million is deservedly out of the lineup "injury" or whatever he isn't even the 12th best forward in Grand Rapids. What a team they have assembled down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad