Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2013/14 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
So the Griffins lost the division title to Chicago after losing 4 of their last 6 games and winning only one in regulation. They'll face Abbotsford in the 1st round.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Interesting stat: Almqvist, 23, reached Kronwall's point total from 2004-2005 when Nik was 24. It's also the 2nd highest scoring season from a Griffins D-man right after Bryan Helmer in 2005-2006.

Link to GR all-time high seasons: Eliteprospects

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Man he's got a shot. Hoping for big things from him

I remember when Pulks and Jarnrkrok were drafted and Hakkan had them neck and neck as prospects. Pulkkinen has taken his game to another level in North America. I had no idea what to expect from him and this season is hugely impressive.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Look for Athanasiou to jump up the prospect ratings next season.

Yeah I've been a big fan ever since he was drafted. Good to see him develop as much as he has over the years. He fits in perfectly with the speed and skill we are seeing in the youth movement in Detroit. It's fun to watch.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Interesting stat: Almqvist, 23, reached Kronwall's point total from 2004-2005 when Nik was 24. It's also the 2nd highest scoring season from a Griffins D-man right after Bryan Helmer in 2005-2006.

Link to GR all-time high seasons: Eliteprospects

I've always had my doubts about Almqvist and but that is damn impressive. I thought he looked good during the pre-season games but that's obviously not the type of competition you'll face during the regular season, much less the playoffs. With that being said I can't wait to see him next year, he should be a huge improvement over Kindl on the 2nd power play unit.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Really hope he's not traded away for an asset like Edler or Ehrhoff... Would love to see him develop with the Griffins/Wings.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Really hope he's not traded away for an asset like Edler or Ehrhoff... Would love to see him develop with the Griffins/Wings.

Except we're very deep at wing, and thin on D......

Anyway, I'd like to see a more rounded goal-scoring game from him. He seems to get an inordinate amount of goals from his Holy Slapper, he's gunna need more than that to make it in the NHL.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan

Anyway, I'd like to see a more rounded goal-scoring game from him. He seems to get an inordinate amount of goals from his Holy Slapper, he's gunna need more than that to make it in the NHL.

He also has an exceptional wrist shot. but the big thing this year is the fact that he can just unleash his slapper really fast now. Kind of like a half wind up slapper that still just erupts off of his stick.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Like I've said earlier, they have to make up their minds and make sure to trade the right players. Not an easy thing to do but necessary. You just can't make room for 8-9 forward prospects in a three year span(Oilers and Sabres will disagree).

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm

As Wes added, it's more than just his slapper, which makes the difference. Decent Wrist-Shot plus being right-handed -
which is quite the extra we need for our prospective rooster.

Still, I understand your scepticism. It will be about not disregarding other skills as well.

Like I've said earlier, they have to make up their minds and make sure to trade the right players. Not an easy thing to do but necessary. You just can't make room for 8-9 forward prospects in a three year span(Oilers and Sabres will disagree).

No doubt, you have to assign priorities. To me, being right handed, having a decent shot and/or bringing some offensive qualities as a d-man are such.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Tampa will disagree as well

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2014/04/griffins_enter_playoffs_with_e.html

Callahan probable to be back by game 3.

Hopefully they can split in Abbotsford. I feel like the first round is a crapshoot due to the bo5 and you need a good start. And of course, they could get reinforcements soon.

Interesting to read Blashoff hasn't decided on Mrazek as his goaltender. McCollum has finished the season on a very strong note. I'd be shocked if Mrazek isn't the starter on opening night but full credit to McCollum for getting his game back together. I couldn't have been more wrong about him as a prospect. Kudos to Ken Holland and the prospect department for not giving up on him. This is one case where taking the long road with a prospect clearly worked. I still think he ends up being the #1 guy in Grand Rapids next season and you have to feel pretty confident about that with how he has come around this season.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting to read Blashoff hasn't decided on Mrazek as his goaltender. McCollum has finished the season on a very strong note. I'd be shocked if Mrazek isn't the starter on opening night but full credit to McCollum for getting his game back together. I couldn't have been more wrong about him as a prospect. Kudos to Ken Holland and the prospect department for not giving up on him. This is one case where taking the long road with a prospect clearly worked. I still think he ends up being the #1 guy in Grand Rapids next season and you have to feel pretty confident about that with how he has come around this season.

Could see back-to-back days being split(not if it's the deciding game), but short of that I think Mrazek will play until he fails miserably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad