Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2013/14 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
What's the reasoning behind that? I don't really understand this move much... does he have a contract for next season? If not, he'd be a free agent shortly anyways...

Could it have something to do with opening up a roster spot for another player, since Backman, Janmark, and Athanasiou are going to GR?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Coetzee has been on the Red Wings IR since training camp. You can't send injured players down. He must be healthy now, and needs to pass waivers for some reason.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Sproul???? Ouellet maybe... Marchenko sure... but Sproul! If people hated on Smith and Quincey they would have absolutely dismembered Sproul.

Sproul now is 20x better than he was at the start of the season.

This is correct. I personally think keeping those guys down could have lit a bit more of a fire for them.

HockeyGuru3

May 29, 2009
Wow. I figured 29 teams would line up.

What was the deal with waiving him, anyway?

This kid has had so many kicks in the rear and each time got back up and came back stronger. You guys have no idea. Got the shaft with lockout (trickle down affect), landed him in ECHL where he stayed all year….played in the All Star Game, Voted most popular player on team, had great results at Toledo. He is an extreme hard worker that will not quit. He will be an asset to any team given the chance. Had great summer training….fit, READY to go but got injured. Been injured since start of training camp, work his rear off to get back on the ice. Rehab, physio, gym, eating correctly, and is now in the best shape of his hockey career, bigger, better, stronger. Just been given clearance by docs, taken off IR list, thus the WAIVER (something that has to be done to enable him to be re-assigned back to GR and practise with team)…..and yes 40 teams won’t line up for him right now, because he is just returning. He didn’t expect that. He is itching to play, and all he wants to do it play or given the chance to prove that he is back in tip top shape. Give the guy a break. He has enormous talent.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
This kid has had so many kicks in the rear and each time got back up and came back stronger. You guys have no idea. Got the shaft with lockout (trickle down affect), landed him in ECHL where he stayed all year….played in the All Star Game, Voted most popular player on team, had great results at Toledo. He is an extreme hard worker that will not quit. He will be an asset to any team given the chance. Had great summer training….fit, READY to go but got injured. Been injured since start of training camp, work his rear off to get back on the ice. Rehab, physio, gym, eating correctly, and is now in the best shape of his hockey career, bigger, better, stronger. Just been given clearance by docs, taken off IR list, thus the WAIVER (something that has to be done to enable him to be re-assigned back to GR and practise with team)…..and yes 40 teams won’t line up for him right now, because he is just returning. He didn’t expect that. He is itching to play, and all he wants to do it play or given the chance to prove that he is back in tip top shape. Give the guy a break. He has enormous talent.

Hi Willie thanks for the update.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Griffins Game Day ‏@GriffinsGameDay 1m

GR Scratches: Marchenko, Sproul, Coetzee, Hirschfeld, Callahan, Nicastro, Fournier, Grant, Aubry, Frk, Nedomlel, Paterson, Coreau.

Lol, that's a lot of scratches and a lot of really good players too. So all three new guys are in tonight.

Janmark centering Pulkkinen & Emmerton, AA on Ferraro's wing with Nestrasil, Bäckman with Ouellet.

Last edited:

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Griffins Game Day ‏@GriffinsGameDay 19m

That's the end of the first period, 0-0. Griffins lead in shots 10-1, stay tuned.

:amazed:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I only watched the first period, Janmark was on the first PP unit with Pulkkinen, Almqvist etc. and Backman was on the second unit. I thought Backman looked a little smoother and more comfortable with the ice surface(makes sense, he was very good in the world juniors on small ice).

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Did they win and clinch tonight?

Nope they lost 4-2 and are tied with Chicago for the division with 1 game left each.

The Griffins have Lake Erie again tomorrow night, and Chicago plays Milwaukee to determine the division winner.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Can anyone comment on Athanasiou's game tonight? Saw he picked up an assist.

I watched the 1st & 2nd period and thought he looked really good. Had a bunch of chances, good play in the o-zone, skated fast, backchecked hard. No signs of the floating we saw in Barrie most of the time. He really seemed to fit well with Ferraro and Nestrasil, and I could see him getting some more games in the playoffs. They have a back-to-back so I would assume some of the scratches from last night will play tonight.

Highlights + interviews:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Look for Athanasiou to jump up the prospect ratings next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad