• C-

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • F

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Who cares about late 1st rounders? Perreault was picked 23rd. They are important when you have traded away a ton of 2's, 3's, and 4's.
If a late 1st was the price for Buchnevich the deal should’ve been done. I’m afraid the asking price was a lot higher and there might be other factors too. Alas I’m very happy with Drury getting Roslovic and not paying ransom for Buchnevich.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
B+. I liked that they filled holes for cheap. Also a big fan of getting versatile players that PL can tinker with. If ros or kk still doesn’t pop w/kz, then it gives pl the option to try wennberg at rw and gives a more offensive explosive speed element w/ros between cuylle-kk. Getting a big name would be fun but personally preferred to keep depth options esp w/nyr needs elc players in the future. Only trade I wish I saw was getting a guy like kaliyev for jones/robertson and a late round pick. Just cheap insurance if ros doesn’t work w/pl or in case of a top 6 injury, esp after getting Chad who most likely jumps jones in the pecking order.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
A-, but thought about going higher. The guys he brought in filled the holes on this team and the price was right. Roslovic especially seems like a great add at that price. He looked really good in the couple games against us, has speed we lack, and can play C in a pinch.

Think that helps a lot as Lavi seems to like having two centers out for most faceoffs, especially in the defensive zone and late in games. Personally I don’t think it’s worth it as it weighs ice time towards the centers and screws up the lines as it forces a change on the fly for a winger after the faceoff. By adding 2 guys who can play center, it mitigates the issue somewhat as there will be a couple lines with two centers on it already.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Didn't see D or D- as an option. So went C-

They didn't do anything to put themselves over the true Stanley Cup contenders. Wasted a 2nd round pick on a 3rd line player that Laviolette instantly put on the 4th line in the first practice while Brodzinski was still on the 3rd line... bananas.

Then had to settle for Dollar Tree's discounted section damaged goods, because other teams found a way to grab the top available players at discounted prices.

The only silver lining to losing a 2nd round pick for nothing and wasting another season with this core, is that none of our top prospects or young roster players were traded and we kept our 1st round pick.

Wennberg, Roslovic, and Ruhwedel are not pushing this team past FLA, VGK, COL, DAL, BOS, CAR...

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
As stated in the post directly above, none of these adds are putting the Rangers over the top.

If the existing stars show out, they don't need them to. The Playoffs are a crapshoot, and the team that wins the deadline rarely wins the Cup. I was in favor of not doing much, and behold, Drury didn't do much. We need the big boys out there banging into people; that physicality can be the difference over a 7 game series. Pushing Brodz and Goody into lesser roles is of course a bonus.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
You know, after finding out that Drury had his 1st and prospects on the table, I'm bumping this to an A+. It means he had the goods available for a big move, but didn't just make a move for the sake of making one.

Additionally, if at any point we find out that Drury declined an offer for Ryan Lindgren, it immediately goes to a D. Trouba I can understand because despite his poor play, if you trade the team Capitan and a locker room favorite, mid season, you are eviscerating your chemistry and moral.

But if a deal for Lindgren was out there... D - F.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I don’t quite get why the Rangers never got into the mix on Noah Hanifin or Jakob Chychrun. Once it became apparent that prices for imperfect pieces up front had been set unreasonably, I’m surprised Drury didn’t focus on buttressing the blue line. And that was before the news that Jacob Trouba will be sidelined for up to three weeks with a lower-body injury he apparently sustained Monday against Florida.

I really hope it's addressed in the offseason

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Didn't see D or D- as an option. So went C-

They didn't do anything to put themselves over the true Stanley Cup contenders. Wasted a 2nd round pick on a 3rd line player that Laviolette instantly put on the 4th line in the first practice while Brodzinski was still on the 3rd line... bananas.

Then had to settle for Dollar Tree's discounted section damaged goods, because other teams found a way to grab the top available players at discounted prices.

The only silver lining to losing a 2nd round pick for nothing and wasting another season with this core, is that none of our top prospects or young roster players were traded and we kept our 1st round pick.

Wennberg, Roslovic, and Ruhwedel are not pushing this team past FLA, VGK, COL, DAL, BOS, CAR...
I don’t think there were any moves out there to make that would “fix” all of the issues, and every team is imperfect
Drury addressed some things with low cost options and the team is a bit better for it. There’s nothing that would have made them unbeatable.
Feels a bit like the 2022 deadline where he filled holes on the cheap (relatively I guess)and the team did well

Also, Lavy put wennberg back out in the third line with Cuylle and Vesey right after he looked at him in the fourth line. Who knows why he did that but I think it’s exceedingly unlikely we see wennberg playing 4c under goodrow

Anyways, who knows. A playoff run rests on Shesterkin playing up to his ability and Mika waking up. No one move was going to get Mika to improve his play

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
4 of our top 5 forwards are past 30. That is a credit card bill that is coming in the mail.
We have some youth but with the possible exception of Laf they aren't top prospects compared to other organizations.
Honestly, you’re never going to know if you can get similar production until guys like laf/JP/ and Others get similar minutes and opportunities…..
Panarin and his skill is the hardest to replicate…. Triocheck / zibby……. Then kreider….
We’ll never know if Cuylle can have a similar impact to replicating Kreider points until you park him in front of the net all year on the PP….
UFA additions will be key as well….
As long as they can keep the pipeline stocked with the right type of players that can play hockey and play physical with passion etc….
You can go after Talent in UFA with large sums of $$$$.
Panarin game should age well on his body.
Trocheck will still be effective in a 3rd line role if need be with his contract
Kreider beyond the 50 goal campaign is the easiest of all to replace imo
Zibby is the wildcard……
It’s also not impossible that some of these guys can play well into their early to mid 30s and have a pavelski like impact.

Trouba is the only of player of that core that is 30, and I’d wager he’s gone next season or year after to reallocate his cap hit…
Especially if Schneider continues to develop….
The rest of the team is young. Getting them a taste of winning/success in the postseason will go a long way 2-3 years down the line as well.

Last edited:

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
I don’t think there were any moves out there to make that would “fix” all of the issues, and every team is imperfect
Drury addressed some things with low cost options and the team is a bit better for it. There’s nothing that would have made them unbeatable.
Feels a bit like the 2022 deadline where he filled holes on the cheap (relatively I guess)and the team did well

Also, Lavy put wennberg back out in the third line with Cuylle and Vesey right after he looked at him in the fourth line. Who knows why he did that but I think it’s exceedingly unlikely we see wennberg playing 4c under goodrow

Anyways, who knows. A playoff run rests on Shesterkin playing up to his ability and Mika waking up. No one move was going to get Mika to improve his play
There was definitely no fix available. But that's the point. You have to either poop or get off the pot. Mr Miyagi said one side road safe, other side road safe, middle road squish like grape. That's the Rangers, middle road. Either recognize this core can't get it done because they've proven they can't over the span of many years, or go all in on it. It's a waste of time picking up these players that are not impact players, and expecting what. Whats the goal. Is it the Cup? Or are they shooting for 2-3 home games and then golf? I just don't get it, I don't see a plan.

Reactions: lubitschtouch

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Honestly, you’re never going to know if you can get similar production until guys like laf/JP/ and Others get similar minutes and opportunities…..
Panarin and his skill is the hardest to replicate…. Triocheck / zibby……. Then kreider….
We’ll never know if Cuylle can have a similar impact to replicating Kreider points until you park him in front of the net all year on the PP….
UFA additions will be key as well….
As long as they can keep the pipeline stocked with the right type of players that can play hockey and play physical with passion etc….
You can go after Talent in UFA with large sums of $$$$.
Panarin game should age well on his body.
Trocheck will still be effective in a 3rd line role if need be with his contract
Kreider beyond the 50 goal campaign is the easiest of all to replace imo
Zibby is the wildcard……
It’s also not impossible that some of these guys can play well into their early to mid 30s and have a pavelski like impact.

Trouba is the only of player of that core that is 30, and I’d wager he’s gone next season or year after to reallocate his cap hit…
Especially if Schneider continues to develop….
The rest of the team is young. Getting them a taste of winning/success in the postseason will go a long way 2-3 years down the line as well.
I hear a lot of ifs but people who grade our farm systems may be more objective. If we go down the ifs road for our younger players most teams have them as well. How many of our younger guys are in the top 100 rated prospects? I'm optimistic about all our young guys but being realistic they have not shown that they will be replacing those 30 year old top 6 guys. I do not even include Laf since he is already in our top 6. That does not mean we don't have several young guys that can be good pros but I do not see any locks for top 6 at this point. Hopefully Gabe and Oth get there but they are not locks.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If we're grading on trades - C +
They didn't make bad moves
They didn't move much in the direction of competing with the other big teams.
They moves they made are better than what we had in those position.
If Wennberg isn't used on the 3rd line I'm dropping this grade.

If we're grading trades on improving to be cup contenders... well that's a different story.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Some people are mad Drury didn't do more. Drury had traded so many draft picks. He still owes 3rd round picks from Tarasenko and Kane trades. The Rangers have one pick in the first three rounds in the next two years. Four picks in the next three years in the first three rounds. He traded first round picks for rentals two straight years. I was talking to a few family members last night. They were complaining about not requiring Vatrano. They had never heard of Vatrano until the Rangers acquired him and the Rangers should have traded whatever Verbeek wanted for Vatrano. So dumb.

Trading multiple picks catches up to you unless you're Vegas. The Leafs were quiet. Dubas traded away all of their picks. The Leafs owe the Hawks a first round pick in 25 for McCabe and Lafferty. The Bruins were quiet. They traded their first this year to Detroit last season for Bertuzzi. TB traded their first this season to Chicago in the Hagel deal.

The Leafs would have traded their first this year in the right trade. A player with term or someone they can control. Drury would and should have traded the 2024 first if it made sense. If Drury can acquire a player at the draft who will be here for more than 12 months, he should do it. Dolan wants a splash at The Sphere. Making a big trade at the draft will have a bigger impact than taking a 17-18 year old kid at the end of round one. This draft apparently drops off after 20. Some teams elected for 2025 first round picks. I read the Flyers wanted a 2025 first for Walker. Not 2024. Calgary didn't want a 24 pick in the Hanifin deal. They already have the Canucks pick. 2026 first for the Flames. 2025 went to SJ. Vegas still has 2024 1st.

If there is one complaint? Hanifin. He probably doesn't want to sign in NY. Frank said Hanifin was looking at the Florida teams, Boston and Vegas. It doesn't seem many teams engaged the Flames in trade talks. Hanifin return was very light.

The one thing I'll say is that the Rangers have a lot of forward prospects that have developed really well and sometimes way beyond expectations and in the next couple/three years we'll probably have to sort through some of them. Who to keep and who to move because there won't be room for them all. When we have 6th rounders like Rempe and Edstrom making noise though at the NHL level---another 6th rounder Roobroeck having a very good year and there are 4th and 5th rounders like Laba, Berard, Chmelar and maybe Lamb it gives the team a bit more leeway to trade those 2nd and 3rd rounders. That's not everyone either---Perreault, Othmann, Sykora, BMB are all excellent prospects and Perreault looking top end.

I'm not nearly as jazzed about our defense prospects though.

The point is the cupboard isn't bare and we're developing good looking in house replacements even if we're trading off higher draft picks. It's been good drafting. What things would be like if we kept most of these picks is for sure worth wondering about. That said it's taking kicks at the can however close we've gotten doing it. I do find the hysteria that comes about with the fans and the teams themselves around deadline day to be getting more and more annoying but not much you can do about that. It's going to happen.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If we had brought in Guentzel the great likelihood is he would come and go. One run and if we don't win the Cup.....that deal sucks for us. If the Pens can find the space don't be surprised if he goes right back there.

I like Buchnevich and he has one year left which at least is something to work with. Apparently the Blues wanted a ton for him and I don't blame them but if so it was better we stayed away.

Never have understood the Chychrun thing. To me he's Tom Poti redux with injury issues. He's got skills for sure. IMO he underwhelms them a bit. To me he's more of a passenger than a leader.

I do like Hanafin. I do like Lindholm. Again though if you throw a lot of assets at a player and it doesn't work out those kind of deals end up really hurting the organization on the whole.

GG96

Feb 21, 2020
I don’t think any team is head and shoulders above the Rangers nor do I think anyone was available that would put another team head and shoulders above the Rangers, especially in the East.

That’s why I am glad they didn’t overpay.

Reactions: gump116

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I gave it a solid B - obvious issues address, no thills, no steals but at the same time no overpayments either. Good stuff.

What I didn’t include in this mark is evaluation for what could but didn’t happen because Drury wasn’t willing to do. For this part I’d probably bump it up to B+/A-

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
If a late 1st was the price for Buchnevich the deal should’ve been done. I’m afraid the asking price was a lot higher and there might be other factors too. Alas I’m very happy with Drury getting Roslovic and not paying ransom for Buchnevich.
I agree 100% if it was just the 1st but it was a lot more than that. The package would have had to be something like 1st + a roster player + a top prospect, especially with Buch signed through next year. I was all on the Buch train but sometimes the cost is just too much. I respect Drury for not pulling the trigger in that case. No other GM did either.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I agree 100% if it was just the 1st but it was a lot more than that. The package would have had to be something like 1st + a roster player + a top prospect, especially with Buch signed through next year. I was all on the Buch train but sometimes the cost is just too much. I respect Drury for not pulling the trigger in that case. No other GM did either.
Let’s also remember that last year the gun race was all in the East but the SC went out West. And if you look around 2023 TDL you’d see that Vegas getting Barbashev was far from the most exciting but wound up as one of the most effective with hindsight.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
And let’s remember that last year the gun race was all in the East but the SC went out West. And if you look around 2023 TDL you’d see that Vegas getting Barbashev was far from the most exciting but wound up as one of the most effective with hindsight.
I think it’s been shown year after year, teams winning the deadline don’t win the cup.
Florida barely added last year, and got to the sc final.
win with what got you there.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think it’s been shown year after year, teams winning the deadline don’t win the cup.
Florida barely added last year, and got to the sc final.
win with what got you there.
Yup, too impactful trades often disrupt teams’ make-up to the point it becomes nonfunctional or at best less effective than prior to the move.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Yup, too impactful trades often disrupt teams’ make-up to the point it becomes nonfunctional or at best less effective than prior to the move.
Our best deadline was the copp/vatrano/motte
Small moves around the edges, and that’s what this year feels like

Reactions: kovazub94

hella rights

Oct 9, 2006
Our best deadline was the copp/vatrano/motte
Small moves around the edges, and that’s what this year feels like
I think it worked cause they brought in some new guys to fill specific, limited roles. Probably a lot easier for a player to succeed on a new team when they’re not asked to do it all. When they brought in Tarasenko and Kane, we were expecting them to perform like stars, which in general seems to rarely be the case for deadline additions. We’ll see what happens but I’m optimistic the new guys will have the types of limited roles where they’ll be more likely to succeed. Also, Wennberg and Roslovic being good skaters will make life significantly easier, we needed more guys that can get through the neutral zone with speed.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
B.

The Wennberg move was a little bit questionable, but perhaps he plays better with a change of scenery. Last night was not a bad first game.

Loved the Roslovic move, Ruhwedel was a lateral move IMO but adds depth and will help in Trouba's absence if the plan isn't to run with Jones in the hopes of trading him at the draft or in the offseason.

I think they could've done a little better, though.

The key is going to be getting the coaching staff to play Brodzinski over Goodrow, which unfortunately I don't really see happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad