Votes: 9 3.1%
  • C-

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • F

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
They'll breeze through the Islanders if they play them.

Red hot isles are going to go ice cold soon. It's been their MO all season.

Not if Sorokin figures it out. Canes have ignored goalie for a long time and Freddie has a growing resume of playoff failure and injuries.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Obviously at a certain point the numbers game gives way to some interesting prospects, but as a general rule a pick in the fourth-round or later is functionally worthless the moment a team is on the clock for that pick - their primary value is as currency and in the abstract ideation of a future player. Trading a fourth-rounder for a 7D who never plays a single game is genuinely fine asset management. If that pick is four drafts away then all the better. The reason someone like Ruhwedel returns a fourth is because a fourth is a placeholder for the idea of marginal value. The reason Roslovic is worth a fourth is because the alternative is getting nothing.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Here’s the thing. There are only a couple of “premium roles” available on each team. Top line minutes. PP. Etc.

When you already have those roles established, it doesn’t make sense to pay out the nose to add additional players that played those roles elsewhere. There isn’t enough ice/PP time to go around to have more than a handful of PPG players.

Extreme example, but if you had a whole team full of McDavids, you wouldn’t have 12 125 point players. You’d have a few PPG players, a few 70 point players, and a few 20 point players just based on ice time and opportunity.

The team with the best core players playing the best during the playoffs wins. It never makes sense to add core players at the deadline. If you have to, you’re not good enough. And if you’re going to slot them down the lineup, they aren’t going to produce like they did as core guys on other teams so what’s the point?

Drury added depth. We needed that.

I would have preferred a slightly better defenseman but I am very happy with the strategy and execution overall.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Here’s the thing. There are only a couple of “premium roles” available on each team. Top line minutes. PP. Etc.

When you already have those roles established, it doesn’t make sense to pay out the nose to add additional players that played those roles elsewhere. There isn’t enough ice/PP time to go around to have more than a handful of PPG players.

Extreme example, but if you had a whole team full of McDavids, you wouldn’t have 12 125 point players. You’d have a few PPG players, a few 70 point players, and a few 20 point players just based on ice time and opportunity.

The team with the best core players playing the best during the playoffs wins. It never makes sense to add core players at the deadline. If you have to, you’re not good enough. And if you’re going to slot them down the lineup, they aren’t going to produce like they did as core guys on other teams so what’s the point?

I would have preferred a slightly better defenseman but I am very happy with the strategy and execution overall.
This is exactly correct. For better or for worse, this team has its horses. If it falls short, it’s time to get new horses long term, not at the deadline.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Thank God we didn’t get pacioretty that would have been a disaster

Much happier about roslovic’s upside. Guy can fly. Righty shot and has gotten hot since healing from the ankle injury. He was first star last time we played them in Columbus and has always loved NYC. One of the few guys that can skate with Mika and Kreider. You’re looking for another vatrano situation here of course.

But I’m not going to pretend to be happy that we didn’t go hard for buchnevich after missing on guentzel. That deal was there. You look at Vegas and these trades can be made if you have any balls. Worrying about late first rounders just a joke. Who cares.

There’s just no creativity and this league needs it. We need it.

But I like wennberg. I like ruhwedhl solid guy and I like the speed and upside roslovic can bring leaving Columbus. I think he’s going to be shot out of cannon coming here. We’re def a better team today.
Who cares about late 1st rounders? Perreault was picked 23rd. They are important when you have traded away a ton of 2's, 3's, and 4's.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Islanders are mid, canes may have imploded themselves with risk/reward. Neither of them scare me

The Necas fracas may indicate early signs of stress fractures between the team and RBA's extreme focus on "grinding"... You can't choke the skill players forever.

Reactions: FUZfan

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
B for now, if at least one C clicks on a line well into the playoffs that turns into an A fast.

The 'brassard factor' is strong within these two boys.

Brother Mouzone

May 23, 2014
If you’re into thrifting, Drury did solid.
alonzo-mourning.gif

B+

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
A-

Very prudent by Drury. I really like the logic behind which trades were made and which ones weren’t. Again, I really would have liked an upgrade at RW but I think Drury was right in holding back, based on what he would have had to give up.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
A - Perhaps the best I've ever seen them do at the deadline, especially with the money constraints.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014

this. generally speaking, it's not a good idea to pay a steep price on a marquee name as a rental if you consider yourself a contender. there's exceptions to everything, but there's a lot more to trades than stats and analytics. the nhl isn't a video game, these are people. i am very happy we didn't pony up the cost for guentzel. taking a big name and throwing them into a new city, new locker room, new linemates, new systems etc - where they feel pressured to be the guy while assimilating into a team on and off ice in 20 games before it's all on the line - and expecting it to work out is a bad plan.

if you got the right price on a buch or zucc, that's a different story. they have a history with some players on the team and org. if the price wasn't right though, then that's that.

i like the adds drury made. like you said, there's only so much ice time and pp spots etc to go around. beyond that, the chemistry in the locker room is so important. you don't want guys sulking about their roles or creating division in the room with their attitude. bringing in guys who want to be here and will embrace any role is a better strategy. i like the skillsets roslovic and wennberg bring to the roster. maybe you catch lightning in a bottle with production, but no matter what they make the forward group a lot deeper and more well rounded. we already have the horses in place, it's on them to deliver when it matters or fall short. there was nobody who was realistically coming in at this point and taking the reigns. the best you could do is fortify the lineup with some additional pieces.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta

Great post, the only thing I might add on the bolded would be that maybe they think there's a young defenseman already here and ready for a bigger role down the stretch as the situation arises. Cheers!

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
on 1 hand we did not give up a lot, but on the other hand I don't think those were the missing pieces to win a Cup.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
We can grade it now for sure. What we got. How many holes we filled and depth we added. What we didn't give up. Say it's a C+, a B- or a B.

I'll call it a B- for now but it's a preliminary grade.

Last year we could have given ourselves a B+ or an A-. But the overall result after we saw how everyone was used....that Gallant couldn't make up his mind whether to use a one legged Kane or Tarasenko in the top 6....that it was almost like one star player too many in the top 6 and after the first round exit it ended up a D or nice try didn't work. It was overkill by Drury.

For me you pretty much need to grade these things a second time after the playoffs.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
A- for me. Only trade I don’t like is the one with the Penguins. Personally I rather have Mackey in the playoffs due to size and grit. Rangers don’t need more smallish dman especially one that don’t bring any offense. Mackey can set the tone with physically and that will be needed in a 7 game series.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Odds are they will gain some draft capital back this offseason….
There will be serious questions if a few guys can go….
I don’t see why everyone thinks the next 2 years are the only and best shot.
Our farm isn’t loaded, but it’s certainly not bare either.
We have some guys that should be sure fire nhl players coming up.
A huge part of this team is 25-26 and under.
It will always be a major UFA destination should they decide to go that route….
I don’t expect Panarin to be this good next season, but I don’t expect him to fall off a cliff either.

Overall a B or C grade from me…
We kept the 1st and Kakko
Berard othmann Perreault BMB sykora even guys like Laba lamb chlmear

Overall this teams core is still pretty young….
I’m sure…. Definitely need more D and center prospects. For sure, but this team should be good for a long time still.
4 of our top 5 forwards are past 30. That is a credit card bill that is coming in the mail.
We have some youth but with the possible exception of Laf they aren't top prospects compared to other organizations.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
The team is better after the deadline and we gave up next to nothing to achieve it. Sure, we didn't make any big moves, but I don't think it was necessary. B+

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Some people are mad Drury didn't do more. Drury had traded so many draft picks. He still owes 3rd round picks from Tarasenko and Kane trades. The Rangers have one pick in the first three rounds in the next two years. Four picks in the next three years in the first three rounds. He traded first round picks for rentals two straight years. I was talking to a few family members last night. They were complaining about not requiring Vatrano. They had never heard of Vatrano until the Rangers acquired him and the Rangers should have traded whatever Verbeek wanted for Vatrano. So dumb.

Trading multiple picks catches up to you unless you're Vegas. The Leafs were quiet. Dubas traded away all of their picks. The Leafs owe the Hawks a first round pick in 25 for McCabe and Lafferty. The Bruins were quiet. They traded their first this year to Detroit last season for Bertuzzi. TB traded their first this season to Chicago in the Hagel deal.

The Leafs would have traded their first this year in the right trade. A player with term or someone they can control. Drury would and should have traded the 2024 first if it made sense. If Drury can acquire a player at the draft who will be here for more than 12 months, he should do it. Dolan wants a splash at The Sphere. Making a big trade at the draft will have a bigger impact than taking a 17-18 year old kid at the end of round one. This draft apparently drops off after 20. Some teams elected for 2025 first round picks. I read the Flyers wanted a 2025 first for Walker. Not 2024. Calgary didn't want a 24 pick in the Hanifin deal. They already have the Canucks pick. 2026 first for the Flames. 2025 went to SJ. Vegas still has 2024 1st.

If there is one complaint? Hanifin. He probably doesn't want to sign in NY. Frank said Hanifin was looking at the Florida teams, Boston and Vegas. It doesn't seem many teams engaged the Flames in trade talks. Hanifin return was very light.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad