Votes: 9 3.1%
  • C-

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • F

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
If Roslovic and Wennberg keep playing like this then A+. Added two legit forwards without giving up our first (so we get to add a center or LD to our prospect pool) and ANY prospects

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Seeing how our guys have fit in seamlessly, and then watching the Canes start to integrate their big moves, Drury knocked it out of the park.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I'm convinced after seeing how the team has handled the last three TDLs that you should literally never go for a big name rental at the deadline, and, instead, always add pieces who are complimentary but have struggled on terrible teams.

100% convinced.

You just give up too much when you swing for the fences, and there are a ton of great players who just can't shine in their current team for whatever reason - dysfunctional locker room, buried in a stacked roster, bad line mates, bad relationship with the coach, etc..

Vatrano is like... the best example. He was a bottom six player before we got to him and now is at 29 goals and counting this year.

I'm convinced every team out of a playoff spot has at least one of these guys who are underperforming and could play better on another team... it's just a matter of which ones have expiring contracts that are going to be traded for low cost.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I'm convinced after seeing how the team has handled the last three TDLs that you should literally never go for a big name rental at the deadline, and, instead, always add pieces who are complimentary but have struggled on terrible teams.

100% convinced.

You just give up too much when you swing for the fences, and there are a ton of great players who just can't shine in their current team for whatever reason - dysfunctional locker room, buried in a stacked roster, bad line mates, bad relationship with the coach, etc..

Vatrano is like... the best example. He was a bottom six player before we got to him and now is at 29 goals and counting this year.

I'm convinced every team out of a playoff spot has at least one of these guys who are underperforming and could play better on another team... it's just a matter of which ones have expiring contracts that are going to be traded for low cost.
Drury also has a knack for understanding the teams holes too. Going small only works if you understand what the missing piece is.
Stars do almost everything great, small pieces usually only do 1-2 things so you need the right 1-2 things.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

100% convinced.

If the team needs a major piece to compete, they aren't a true competitor to begin with and by the time the deadline rolls around, your teams PP1 and PK1 + 2 should be set, barring a major injury. So anyone you're acquiring should be a periphery piece and understand that the price you're paying, if it's a major offensive piece, they will likely have a different role on your team.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Seeing how our guys have fit in seamlessly, and then watching the Canes start to integrate their big moves, Drury knocked it out of the park.
Obviously the Guentzal add was huge for them (although he was invisible last night, shaking off the cobwebs - im sure hell be much better for them)

But the Kuventzov add, to me, was overkill and unnecessarily messing with the chemistry. I have never been a fan of his. Hes got talent, but I dont think he fits into the Cane mold at all. They will be forcefeeding him minutes and I while it makes the team deeper I think that move in particular will work against them. Of course I could be wrong and he could go off, but I wouldnt count on it.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Both of these moves have gelled into their roles rather quickly.

Mikas line looks great. Roslovic's speed adds another dimension and I'm so glad they didn't opt for Pacioretty or similar slower skater in this role. Mika looked energized last night and we are starting to see little hints that his offensive game is coming around. Hes shooting more. Hes playing faster and looks more engaged. Bringing in another big name would have him deferring to the new big star.

Wennberg is such a solid complimentary player. He reads the situation well and positions himself to provide support both offensively and defensively. He knows when to go and when to hold back and it already looks like hes a perfect fit for the system and what the coaching staff wants.

I was happy when they got Wenny, but I really wanted him to be on that 3rd line so it was imperative that Drury found a RW for Mika's line. These are two low key moves that havent been celebrated around the league because they arent big names. But they are great fits and very competent NHL players who are willing to compete and play their roles.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Obviously the Guentzal add was huge for them (although he was invisible last night, shaking off the cobwebs - im sure hell be much better for them)

But the Kuventzov add, to me, was overkill and unnecessarily messing with the chemistry. I have never been a fan of his. Hes got talent, but I dont think he fits into the Cane mold at all. They will be forcefeeding him minutes and I while it makes the team deeper I think that move in particular will work against them. Of course I could be wrong and he could go off, but I wouldnt count on it.

Kuznetsov was horrendous yesterday, theres clearly a reason he was in the AHL. And i think Guentzel isnt going to adjust well. He went from a storied franchise with Sid to a State Fair team, coming off injury, never got a proper goodbye from the only team he has ever played for. You could see the thousand yard stare on the bench. i predict it will be closer to Kane with the Rangers last year.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Guentzel looked very far from 100% last night. it might've been better for Carolina if they just kept Bunting.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I’ve never been a fan of going after the big name at the deadline. I can’t think of a time it worked. We did it with Randle and that didn’t work even though he was good and we got the ECF still it didn’t work

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I am going to give a B. I was hoping for maybe more of a splash move and I was totally fine moving our first (without question - I think this is the year to do it if we were going to do it).

But we really made some nice transactions WITHOUT having to give up too much value.

So, for now, a B. The end result (as always) will dictate the end grade.

(For the record, I always give a B unless something was off-the-wall nuts and I re-evaluate later)

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Both of these moves have gelled into their roles rather quickly.

Mikas line looks great. Roslovic's speed adds another dimension and I'm so glad they didn't opt for Pacioretty or similar slower skater in this role. Mika looked energized last night and we are starting to see little hints that his offensive game is coming around. Hes shooting more. Hes playing faster and looks more engaged. Bringing in another big name would have him deferring to the new big star.

Wennberg is such a solid complimentary player. He reads the situation well and positions himself to provide support both offensively and defensively. He knows when to go and when to hold back and it already looks like hes a perfect fit for the system and what the coaching staff wants.

I was happy when they got Wenny, but I really wanted him to be on that 3rd line so it was imperative that Drury found a RW for Mika's line. These are two low key moves that havent been celebrated around the league because they arent big names. But they are great fits and very competent NHL players who are willing to compete and play their roles.
Gotta agree. It’s about finding the right players more than the biggest names….
All depends on what the teams lacks at the time I guess.
I still prefer zetterlund to Roslovic, but we weren’t getting him without dealing 1st or prospects I didn’t want them to move.
I’m happy jack is working with zibby and Kreider.
1st time they have looked dangerous against a good team 5v5 in some time….

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Kuznetsov was horrendous yesterday, theres clearly a reason he was in the AHL. And i think Guentzel isnt going to adjust well. He went from a storied franchise with Sid to a State Fair team, coming off injury, never got a proper goodbye from the only team he has ever played for. You could see the thousand yard stare on the bench. i predict it will be closer to Kane with the Rangers last year.
Kuznetsov had a few good chances but was also pretty terrible defensively.

How far this team gets in the playoffs will be the final verdict on how good this deadline was. I don't really mind much that Wennberg and Roslovic don't have a lot of points yet since their lines seem to be playing well and they're in the middle of things. I don't even care if they put up mediocre numbers for the rest of the season, just as long as things get done in the playoffs.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Kuznetsov had a few good chances but was also pretty terrible defensively.

How far this team gets in the playoffs will be the final verdict on how good this deadline was. I don't really mind much that Wennberg and Roslovic don't have a lot of points yet since their lines seem to be playing well and they're in the middle of things. I don't even care if they put up mediocre numbers for the rest of the season, just as long as things get done in the playoffs.
If Drury gave up a lot for a homeriun trade, then sure, you'd need to see how far they get to evaluate. But reasonable trades like this to bolster the lineup? I think at this point it's fair to grade him based on what he didn't give up and how the team looks right now.

The rest is on the coach and the players at this point. If this core of players can't play well enough to win a cup at this point, then it's not Drury's TDL performance that is the issue, but rather his entire tenure (including the Buchnevich trade) as well as the tenure of the prior administration.

But this TDL in isolation? I think you can grade it right now before we see how far they get.

I prefer giving the team chances to compete both today and in the future over what Vegas is doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad