Speculation: Gotta re-sign captain Dave? Don't you?

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
With the subsequent Hitch news, maybe the best thing is for us to move on from Backes. If he is gone, Hitch might loose the room. Blues go on an early season skid. Hitch gets the axe. Army is let go at season's end. We finally break free of this cycle.

That seems screwed up to say, but it could very well be in our best interest in the mid to long-term.

I don't think it's screwed up at all, couldn't agree more with you. I'd love if your entire scenario played out just so.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I voted to keep him during the playoffs but the more I think about it the more I would rather spend that money on some serious offensive skill. I really was hoping the Blues would change their style and now would be the perfect time but bringing Hitch back makes me believe were going to keep that defensive-minded game intact.

That said I think Army really shot himself in the foot giving Lehtera all that money. If they could trade JBo, Lehtera and not sign Backes that opens up some serious cash-flow to get some real talent on this club.

Of course that wont happen though. We will sign some "character" guy and they will promote him as the next best player. *sigh*

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
What about signing Backes to 5-6 years with a limited NTC, then leaving him unprotected for the expansion draft? That's doing our Captain a little dirty, but it would give us another year or two of his services and clear the contract before it turns bad.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
What about signing Backes to 5-6 years with a limited NTC, then leaving him unprotected for the expansion draft? That's doing our Captain a little dirty, but it would give us another year or two of his services and clear the contract before it turns bad.

I assume his agent would read between the lines and try to protect his interests in actually staying with the team. Kind of an interesting maneuver given over the years teams try to do some tricky things at the trade deadline with free agents. Almost the reversal of moving them for a good piece or futures and then come right back for a bargain.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I think when its a guy like Armstrong he realizes what needs to happen, he just doesn't have the gung-ho attitude about making sure it does. He has a great job, probably a lot of support from Stillman and doesn't feel pressure to win it all nearly as much as just make the team competitive and profitable. So he plays smart with Stillman's money and a lot of the time that means play safe and preach about patience and windows of opportunity.

If Stillman gives up on the team he sells it, tries to get a good return for his partners and moves on with his more-successful-than-most life.

Which gets old when your team has never won a championship; as a fan who's not going to just move along to a new team because things didn't work out. Fans are "fanatics" they're not gonna do anything but get upset that they haven't be rewarded for loyalty and heart break. You can't auction off all your Blues memorabilia and call it an even break. You want them to win, not to find a team that does and jump on the bandwagon. It's hard to accept these more passive philosophy's when you're not balancing a budget or building a career out of doing it.
Good grief. What more does Stillman have to do to show he is committed to winning a Cup?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm trying to stay up on what is likely to be an eventful offseason for the Blues, and looking forward to the draft...but man this board has been borderline unreadable since the playoff run ended. I get being disappointed, and we all had a let down, but its just not that outrageous to keep the coach that got your team to the WCF, or to consider re-signing your captain that had a big post-season.

But being critical of Stillman is just beyond the pale. Guy comes in, takes over a money-hemorrhaging organization, tightens things up while making a commitment to spending to the cap. He's allowed them to be competitive with UFA (signing Stastny). I think Stillman deserves nothing but goodwill from the fanbase. He FINALLY has been rewarded with a post-season run, and tangible evidence that this core has taken a step forward. But to read this board, the Blues are hopeless, need a new coach and GM, need a new Captain, are saddled with bad contracts (Lehtera and Bouwmeester neither of which are really that bad of deals), etc.

I'm going to take another step back. I've passed on replying to a couple dozen posts I found offbase, but these discussions aren't progressing anywhere worthwhile. Its just fomenting complaints. I keep reading hoping for information about Sobotka, contract status for UFA/RFA and draft preparation.

As to this thread, I will be shocked if the Blues don't re-sign Backes. Even if it doesn't happen before July 1st, I won't change that opinion. I think there is plenty of trust there, and both parties want the same thing. Its just finding the middle ground on contract terms.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I'm trying to stay up on what is likely to be an eventful offseason for the Blues, and looking forward to the draft...but man this board has been borderline unreadable since the playoff run ended. I get being disappointed, and we all had a let down, but its just not that outrageous to keep the coach that got your team to the WCF, or to consider re-signing your captain that had a big post-season.

But being critical of Stillman is just beyond the pale. Guy comes in, takes over a money-hemorrhaging organization, tightens things up while making a commitment to spending to the cap. He's allowed them to be competitive with UFA (signing Stastny). I think Stillman deserves nothing but goodwill from the fanbase. He FINALLY has been rewarded with a post-season run, and tangible evidence that this core has taken a step forward. But to read this board, the Blues are hopeless, need a new coach and GM, need a new Captain, are saddled with bad contracts (Lehtera and Bouwmeester neither of which are really that bad of deals), etc.

I'm going to take another step back. I've passed on replying to a couple dozen posts I found offbase, but these discussions aren't progressing anywhere worthwhile. Its just fomenting complaints. I keep reading hoping for information about Sobotka, contract status for UFA/RFA and draft preparation.

As to this thread, I will be shocked if the Blues don't re-sign Backes. Even if it doesn't happen before July 1st, I won't change that opinion. I think there is plenty of trust there, and both parties want the same thing. Its just finding the middle ground on contract terms.
So if someone has a differing opinion, it is intolerable/unreadable? Or is there something more to this that I am missing?

Also, why is Stillman off limits from analyzing? He plays a role in building this organization. Shouldn't we be able to discuss how he can improve? Everyone can improve, even the most successful/loved people.

There have been a fair number that have advocated on the side of keeping Backes and others that see his value but feel we can't afford him. Army himself laid out the challenges with signing Backes. I would wager he comes back, but it seems far from certain

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

It's almost like those fanatical religious groups that like to flog themselves.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO

I think Stillman is trying to win, but isn't a complete moron with his finances, he can't afford to gamble like some owners. I appreciate that fact and don't disparage him for it. I never said "they're doing it wrong." it's just a process that is taxing on the fan's patience because that's all we can contribute to this cycle.

I don't EXPECT them to take big risks because they're doing a good thing, there's still no denying we aren't on a constant upswing. This was a good run, it does not, in any way shape or form define Hitchcock's level of success with the team though. Armstrong is allowed to be patient because he doesn't have an owner who blames him for it and demands implausible action.

However, it doesn't mean that the possibility to bring in an impact player wasn't on the table the last 5 years and instead we got Brouwer, Bouwmeester, Miller, and Gunnarson, who as advertised eat a lot of minutes and don't win many big games. When we sell, we sell low and in a pinch of desperation. For anyone to say "What more can you want than the WCF, it's the WCF!?" The answer should be obvious. There's absolutely no reason to disregard people who fear that the team can stumble backwards and be another team that gets beat in the first 2 rounds. It can happen to Chicago and LA after all. They actually have something to show for it though, over the last 5 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad