Speculation: Gotta re-sign captain Dave? Don't you?

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
Just curious on everyone's thoughts on this now. He's been arguably one of our best forwards this post season. I have a tough time thinking we go into next season with Stastny, Lehtera and Berglund as our top 3 centers. Especially in the western conference with the likes of Getzlaf, Kopitar, Thornton, Johansen, Toews etc...all big centers. If we were in the east I would be fine without him but that big center to matchup with the big boys seems crucial in the west. I understand stastny shut down Toews but it will be interesting to see how he does vs Thornton if we play the Sharks if that's the matchup....

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, he'll be back now. If the Blues lost in the 1st round I think it was realistic that he would move on and so would the Blues. But I think that ship has sailed. No way the Blues let their captain go for nothing after the season they've had.

If we need to dump a center, I'd rather it be Lehtera.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think it's possible you see him take Brouwer's spot on the 2nd line if we have to pick between the 2.

Schwartz-Steen-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Stastny-Backes

That's a pretty stacked top 6.

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
I think it's possible you see him take Brouwer's spot on the 2nd line if we have to pick between the 2.

Schwartz-Steen-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Stastny-Backes

I understand the fans are happy as of now for berglund. However, why not move him to keep a more consistent Brouwer at a reasonable price? Obviously move Shatty and let Parayko take his minutes

STL line
Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer
Steen-Sobotka-Backes

Wouldn't be too shabby steen or Lehtera can flip flop either or.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
With the playoffs he is having, I can see his price as a UFA rise. I'd like to keep him but I dont want to hurt ourselves in the long run. Especially with big contracts on the horizon for our budding stars.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis

Schwartz-Steen-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Stastny-Backes

I understand the fans are happy as of now for berglund. However, why not move him to keep a more consistent Brouwer at a reasonable price? Obviously move Shatty and let Parayko take his minutes

STL line
Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer
Steen-Sobotka-Backes

These.

Or imagine if you could add Krejci to that mix:

Schwartz-Krejci-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Stastny-Backes
Steen-Sobotka-Brouwer

:popcorn:

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I'd trade Shattenkirk+Lehtera, this would save 8.95 in cap. What we get, I'm not sure. I'm hoping Krejci. But I'm okay with retooling the prospect pool upfront as well.
I'd like to resign Brouwer and Backes. Brouwer I'd actually keep over Backes. I don't breaking up Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer would help at all. Backes can be used with Steen and Berglund as a shutdown line that can chip in some goals. Our top 9 could be:
Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer
Berglund-Steen-Backes

Parayko can eat Shattenkirk minutes and Schmaltz, Lindbohm or Bortuzzo can full the bottom pair.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I'd trade Shattenkirk+Lehtera, this would save 8.95 in cap. What we get, I'm not sure. I'm hoping Krejci. But I'm okay with retooling the prospect pool upfront as well.
I'd like to resign Brouwer and Backes. Brouwer I'd actually keep over Backes. I don't breaking up Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer would help at all. Backes can be used with Steen and Berglund as a shutdown line that can chip in some goals. Our top 9 could be:
Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer
Berglund-Steen-Backes

Parayko can eat Shattenkirk minutes and Schmaltz, Lindbohm or Bortuzzo can full the bottom pair.

And then your fourth line:

Upshall-Sobotka-Reaves/Ott

:popcorn:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Lehterä extension start to look even worse now. He's tbh odd man out. Schwartz - x - Tarasenko need upgrade center. Or we gonna slide Fabbri there.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

STL line
Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer
Steen-Sobotka-Backes

Brouwer isn't more consistent, though. People forget now what he looked like before he got put with Stastny and Fabbri. It wasn't too pretty.

They offer very similar production, they are both going to average around 35 points a season, give or take a few.

Brouwer has formed great chemistry with that line and I love that line, but do we re-sign Brouwer at what might cost over $4 million just to glue him to those two? Keep in mind that we don't like Lehtera's contract at 4.7 mil because without Tarasenko he's close to useless. He's another guy that offers that same type of average production so I'd be weary of making another deal like that. Fabbri and Stastny have enough chemistry between themselves that they will be able to succeed with a lot of different 3rd wheels. The idea of Backes there is very intriguing, and you could probably use Steen as well. Both lines fill out your top 6 extremely nicely with players who all without a doubt deserve a lot of playing time.

Berglund is 3 years younger and can play basically all three forward positions. He's a better possession and defensive player and can probably create offense better on his own than Brouwer can.

I don't know Brouwer's asking price but the UFA market could probably spike it. I've gone back and forth on it and it's a tough call for sure. Brouwer has grown on me but if worst case scenario comes where we have to use one of them on a 3rd-line shutdown unit, Berglund seems a more versatile fit and with only one year left at 3.7 could be the safer choice.

Either way, I still think having all three is a little redundant so one should be the odd man out.

Last edited:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It depends on the deal he is looking for. I want Backes wearing the Note next season, but if he is looking for 6 years at $6m... Bye!

I never understood why, after 1 season, we extended him.

Because we could have been in a position where we had 2 of our top-9 centres as UFA's at the end of this season.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I'd rather Backes and/or Brouwer walk if we have to overpay.
Brouwer - 3 years, 3.75 AAV isn't bad.
Backes - 4 years, 5.675 AAV isn't bad.
Its better to pass if its anything above.

I think Jaskin could play in Brouwer spot or Backes. If we lose either Backes or Brouwer then I'd like Sobotka back. Then either Jaskin/UFA can fill the others spot or maybe we trade for one? I've heard rumors of Tatar+ for Shattenkirk, I wouldn't love it, but I wouldn't hate it.

HappyGilmore

May 5, 2015
I'd rather Backes and/or Brouwer walk if we have to overpay.
Brouwer - 3 years, 3.75 AAV isn't bad.
Backes - 4 years, 5.675 AAV isn't bad.
Its better to pass if its anything above.

I think Jaskin could play in Brouwer spot or Backes. If we lose either Backes or Brouwer then I'd like Sobotka back. Then either Jaskin/UFA can fill the others spot or maybe we trade for one? I've heard rumors of Tatar+ for Shattenkirk, I wouldn't love it, but I wouldn't hate it.

There is no way Jaskin can simply replace the presence of Brouwer or Backes.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Didn't Backes already turn down a good contract extension from the Blues? That pretty much guarantees he won't be back unless it's an overpayment imo. Seems like he kinda wants to leave.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
It'd be difficult to replace the combination of size, scoring, defense, and grit he brings, especially in one player. I'd prefer to sign him, but it all depends on the price/term.

I'm hoping he'd go for a little hometown discount at $6M/4 years.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
There is no way Jaskin can simply replace the presence of Brouwer or Backes.

Assuming Backes is re-signed and Brouwer walks, Jaskin would be looked upon to fight for a top 9 spot, and hopefully replace the production we got from Brouwer. A lot of people thought he'd be a 20 goal scorer or close to it this season.

His shooting percentage was horrendous, but probably worse than he would have on an average year. Listening to Hitchcock talk about him during the playoffs, I realized that the team still have high hopes for Jaskin. And he plays the kind of heavy game that they'll want in a Brouwer replacement (as opposed to notions of a guy like Rattie or a trade for Eberle, etc).

Anyway, I think Jaskin gets more time with the team and they'll continue to try and give him favorable situations to establish himself. He's cheap and could be a value on the roster if he can step forward.

Sobotka will probably also be back and can offset that role too. But I think the longer term option is Jaskin. I don't quite know where Rattie fits into it, but I think he's just not strong enough to be a net-front guy like Brouwer.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Didn't Backes already turn down a good contract extension from the Blues? That pretty much guarantees he won't be back unless it's an overpayment imo. Seems like he kinda wants to leave.

No, he turned down the Blues first offer which was only 3 years term. I doubt the 5.5M was the sticking point, although I bet he gets higher salary too.

The Blues will make him a better offer, and I expect he'll take another below-market value contract to stay with the team/city that he loves. I would hope that he can make a little money in marketing after a successful playoff run to offset that. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if the team make him an informal promise to be incorporated into the front office in some capacity if he wants, after he retires. Anyway, I'm sure people will complain that the Blues are overpaying for a declining player, and that the end of his contract he'll be overpaid.

But so what? If you have a winning formula and a quality player, overpay the guy if you have to. The Blues only have to give Backes a reason to say "yes" to the contract. If he sees that they're trying, I don't think he's going to go elsewhere to squeeze more money.

Having said that, Edmonton needs exactly a guy like Backes. His grit, physicality, defensive responsibility and work ethic. Toronto would love to have him, too. I think he could have a large payday if he so chooses.

Say the Blues do win a Cup, is there a scenario where he says: I did it, now I'm going to get paid? I doubt that. I think this team is a close group of guys and no one is going to want to leave it. I would feel bad for Shattenkirk if he's traded, because I think he'd really prefer to stay.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I hope he comes back. I don't think the money per year is the issue. I think he's looking to set himself up to ride out with the Blues and is probably looking for a 6 year contract. I would be okay with four years, but I don't think we can do more than that. He's played a physical game and we can't throw more money at declining production. I think he is currently outplaying what he's paid per season given what some others in the lineup are making compared to what they do.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I love the poll question on this. As if its that easy where it comes down to sign him or don't sign him. There is a contract where everyone would say sign him and there is a contract where everyone would say cut him lose. 10 years @10M AAVm everyone would agree you don't sign him. 3 years at $550k, and I am pretty sure everyone would keep him. Those are extreme examples but they are meant to illustrate the point that contract matters greatly to this question. So the answer to do we sign him or let him walk is.....yes. One of those two, depending on what he wants and what contract we can negotiate. I'd be happy going as high as 4 @$5.5M AAV. Anything higher on either number and I am less happy but probably still pull the trigger up to 4 @6.5M or 6@$5.5M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad