Gostisbehere

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
"Sheltered" refers to QOC (quality of competition) and Zone Starts. You're sheltered if you're playing 20+ min a game with mostly OZ starts, low QOC and little to no time on the PK.

Was the QOC for our top defensive unit Low or something? And zone starts are one of the most over rated aspect of hockey. It would mean more if 2/3 of shifts didn’t start on the fly.

Reactions: BigEezyE22

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He and Ivan we're absolutely unreal together, not a shock when they're paired with Andy and Hagg they don't have great games

You'd have to be a salty ass moron to make a thread like this.

Ghost and Prov can only do so much.

Prov made MacDonald look like a legitimate D in this series.

Ghost got feasted on.

Subban, Ekholm, Ellis, Josi couldn’t stop the Pens. I dunno why people are expecting a couple of 20 year olds to do anything.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Subban, Ekholm, Ellis, Josi couldn’t stop the Pens. I dunno why people are expecting a couple of 20 year olds to do anything.

All the trolls are coming out now to get their cheap shots in on any team that loses. Happens a lot this time of year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
All the trolls are coming out now to get their cheap shots in on any team that loses. Happens a lot this time of year.

Meh. Flyers gave the Pens the best they could. Penguins are just a better team. This shouldn’t have gone past 5 and the Flyers youth core of Konecky, Couts, Provorov, Patrick and Ghost should prove they are going to be a force in a year or two.

They should move Simmonds ala Schenn and get another haul to bring in a legit D.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
To put it bluntly he creates a match-up nightmare for the Flyers against the Penguins.

edit: Holy hell, a -14 year against the Penguins for Ghost...-6 in the regular season and -8 in the playoffs.

Last edited:

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
He's a train wreck without the puck. I can't think of many with such a talent discrepancy from offence to defence. Shades of early Karlsson.
So he's the reverse Martin Maricin. Guy scores incredibly well in advanced stats because of his play away from the puck, but boy oh boy, when the pucks on his stick his team is in a pickle.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
He and Ivan we're absolutely unreal together, not a shock when they're paired with Andy and Hagg they don't have great games

You'd have to be a salty ass moron to make a thread like this.

Why do you say this? The OP was saying that Ghost was a ghost and a train wreck in the series. He never said that he watched Ghost over the course of the year.

Reactions: Critical

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's like Shattenkirk. Great in the offensive zone and PP and getting pucks through...Average - below average in the other 2 zones and defensive aspects of the game. Not a top defenseman in the league. His partner is though.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
The Flyers have McDonald and Gudas, and you single Gostisbehere out? Gudas is brutal, turnover machine. Should be cut this offseason.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Wow even the Pens' forward group gave him a hard time, you say?!?...

:rolleyes:

Why not? He’s had an excellent season at both ends of the ice. He was our best defenseman and one of the top offensive defensemen in the league too. He’s absolutely one of the best.

This entire forum is founded on the thought that only the last week matters.

You are saying this to the wrong person. I have been complaining about that all week. To be a top DMan you can't playeda sheltered role like he does.

Not sure if intended, but I lol'd.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Ghost is rough without the puck, but how many offensive d-men have a well-rounded game in their 3rd season? He's a very talented player who just needs some more time to develop.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Ghost was bad this series. He was brutal in his own end and he wasn't even the offensive weapon he almost always is. That being said, he's still a great defenseman and he's not nearly as bad in his own end as he looked in this series. A lot of Flyers looked terrible and he certainly was one of the worst but this is not what he has been all year so saying he's terrible based on a 6 game sample where everyone but Couts looked like trash is a bit silly.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Ghost was bad this series. He was brutal in his own end and he wasn't even the offensive weapon he almost always is. That being said, he's still a great defenseman and he's not nearly as bad in his own end as he looked in this series. A lot of Flyers looked terrible and he certainly was one of the worst but this is not what he has been all year so saying he's terrible based on a 6 game sample where everyone but Couts looked like trash is a bit silly.

I thought Provorov looked decent. The games I watched, Voracek looked alright too.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
The entire sequence leading up to Hagelin's goal was atrocious. From MacDonald, with plenty of time, throwing a break out pass into Giroux's skates to Hagelin being as wide open as I've ever seen a player in the slot.

I watched every game during the Pens' lottery years, so I've seen some horrible defense. I don't know if it was the worst but it's up there. I half expected to see Dan Focht and Shawn Heins out there.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I thought Provorov looked decent. The games I watched, Voracek looked alright too.
Provorov looked pretty good but definitely bad yesterday. I thought Voracek looked lost most of the series but I'm also not the biggest Voracek fan in general so maybe it's just my bias shining through.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Just usual Flyers fans trying to oversell their players. Nothing more.

a 65 point Calder nominated defenseman doesn't need to be oversold. anyone who doesn't think he's good doesn't watch much hockey. it's just salty fans with an agenda.

Reactions: Alchemy

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
a 65 point Calder nominated defenseman doesn't need to be oversold. anyone who doesn't think he's good doesn't watch much hockey. it's just salty fans with an agenda.
Oh, "everyone who disagrees with me is salty/ a hater." Solid defense.

I, for one, am very thankful the Flyers give big minutes to a guy who can't play in his own zone at an NHL-caliber level.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad