3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I touched on it in the GDT... Mika doesn't give his teammates a target.

Look at Trocheck and Panarin stick. Look at Mika. He is always half/full cocked. It may seem trivial but it's a lot easier to locate passes with a visual target.

Mika is the only guy I can remember where he just waits indefinitely with his stick in the air. I really do not like how he fundamentally one times the puck. I got berated in the pre-season for saying it. You need to be able to handle the pass( give a target), quick release and locate it. Mika doesn't have that.
Stamkos does that and also has really bad balance, but you're allowed to break the rules when you hit the net at will.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think Mikka doesn't do a good job of making himself available for a good pass, like his positioning is just a bit off so passes don't get to him in his wheelhouse and he's reaching for them or can't really connect solidly. He's also often too far away from the net it seems

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I mean, no not really....Panarin passed it back to Fox and then just circles behind the net and all of the Ducks didn't even look at him. He was on the other side waiting for the pass and had no one within 10 feet of him. Here he is coming around behind the net and not a single Duck defender has any idea where he is, they're all puck watching. As soon as he passes the puck they just forget about him
View attachment 808080

Fox has the puck there and sees Panarin getting wide open

Now he's open in front and has a chance to get set, Fox immediately passes it. It was a bang bang play but the ducks completely blew all coverage. 3 guys directly in front of the net and one guy roaming above the circles.

View attachment 808083

Generally it was a great play by those two, great pass by Fox, he obviously sees Panarin has gotten lost and is going to be wide open at the post and he keeps the focus on him and keeps the passing lane open by moving to his right before passing it back hard across the grain
A. It's understandable that Ducks overloaded it on the strong side when both Panarin and Fox where there passing to each other.
B. The still pictures don't do this play justice because you can't see that there was no time between Panarin getting into the shooting place and puck getting there too. Slo-mo replay showed Panarin reaching for the puck or it would've passed by him. In terms of execution the timing was 10/10.
Could Ducks anticipate Panarin getting to a vacated spot? Yeah, but IMO this was a forced error rather than an unforced one.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
A. It's understandable that Ducks overloaded it on the strong side when both Panarin and Fox where there passing to each other.
B. The still pictures don't do this play justice because you can't see that there was no time between Panarin getting into the shooting place and puck getting there too. Slo-mo replay showed Panarin reaching for the puck or it would've passed by him. In terms of execution the timing was 10/10.
Could Ducks anticipate Panarin getting to a vacated spot? Yeah, but IMO this was a forced error rather than an unforced one.
oh for sure it was forced but it was still a bad look by the ducks. They overloaded one side but completely wiffed on the best forward disappearing behind the net and ended up with 3 guys covering Kreider

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The team has a lot of issues that we've dissected, but over the last little stretch, they're not playing as bad as some of the dials indicate.

Right now, any half decent look on Igor is going in. That changes the perception of a team. People have a radically different reaction to a 2-0 game versus a 1-1 game where the play is exactly the same.

It's becoming more and more apparent to me that Igor is just a regular goalie. He doesn't have the alien consistency that Hank did.
One possibility is Igor needs more action to get focused. The better defense this season may not be helping Igor. He definitely doesn’t look Shesty-sharp this year.

(Not implying the team needs to stop playing D!)

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I touched on it in the GDT... Mika doesn't give his teammates a target.

Look at Trocheck and Panarin stick. Look at Mika. He is always half/full cocked. It may seem trivial but it's a lot easier to locate passes with a visual target.

Mika is the only guy I can remember where he just waits indefinitely with his stick in the air. I really do not like how he fundamentally one times the puck. I got berated in the pre-season for saying it. You need to be able to handle the pass( give a target), quick release and locate it. Mika doesn't have that.
It never occurs to him that, "it's not working...maybe I should try something else." He frustrating the eff out of us this year.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
You forgot my favorite Lindgren staple -

Skate the puck along the boards until you run out of space and turn it over.

It's infuriating because he CAN walk a line (in fact, he looks better and more natural doing it than Fox does.) He just doesn't do it. His instinct is to try to work off the walls which doesn't work because A. he isn't a good passer and B. even if he were our guys are rarely in position to receive a pass from here. This just ends with wasted possession.
Unfortunately, the coaches want the defenseman to carry the puck down to the hashmarks along the boards. Lavi said as such in one of his post game pressers. There are dozens of examples with this during a game. Winger carries the puck towards the Dman, Dman comes down the boards and receives the pass. Winger takes the position at the point. The problem is Lindgren isn't good at this. But they do it with all 6 Dman. You can come to your own conclusion as to what to do about it.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I will admit that I lost a lot of hope when they gave up a goal in the first minute, even when it was against the third-worst team in the league. It's officially back to, "this team makes me drink."
Maybe 3rd worst by points but this current Ducks team is easily the worst in the NHL. Fluke hot start gave them some cover but they are worse than San Jose or Chicago AINEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln