OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #122 - USMNT, MLS, CL, WWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Well, in case you didn't hear.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/s...p-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

ZURICH — Swiss authorities conducted an extraordinary early-morning operation here Wednesday to arrest several top soccer officials and extradite them to the United States on federal corruption charges.

The charges, backed by an F.B.I. investigation, allege widespread corruption in FIFA over the past two decades, involving bids for World Cups as well as marketing and broadcast deals.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It's about time someone from FIFA got led-away in shackles.

This is just Act 1: A Good Start

I cant wait for Act 2: The Ratting of the Plebes

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Here's the official PR from Justice. It's a great read.

At the very least, I hope as part of the "healing process" they strip Qatar of 22 if there's not enough time to cleanse 18 by stripping Russia.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nine-...ecutives-indicted-racketeering-conspiracy-and

I think the Qatar World Cup is going to stay. I think they will manage and regulate the oversight and make sure working conditions improve. As much as it is absolute BS they got it in the first place, it would be a shame to take it away and make all of those deaths for nothing.

Russia should have it stripped. F that place.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I think the Qatar World Cup is going to stay. I think they will manage and regulate the oversight and make sure working conditions improve. As much as it is absolute BS they got it in the first place, it would be a shame to take it away and make all of those deaths for nothing.

Hey! Im not a supporter of Russia but remember Italy has and had high amounts of corruption.:laugh:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Hey! Im not a supporter of Russia but remember Italy has and had high amounts of corruption.:laugh:

Seriously? Italy does everything on the book.... Transparent and LEGAL.
(meant with the most sarcasm possible)

Honestly though, Italy's political corruption mainly stays in house. I won't get into Russia's politics but we know that their reach is constantly beyond their own borders.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Seriously? Italy does everything on the book.... Transparent and LEGAL.
(meant with the most sarcasm possible)

Honestly though, Italy's political corruption mainly stays in house. I won't get into Russia's politics but we know that their reach is constantly beyond their own borders.

Probably Russia will use corruption to try to hide corruption.:laugh:

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...I-alleges.html

MORE BREAKING NEWS - Sky are claiming that police have told ALL Swiss nationals working for Fifa - and that'll include Sepp Blatter - that they cannot leave the country!

Here's more on the BREAKING NEWS that European football's governing body, Uefa, has called for Friday's Fifa presidential election to be postponed:

Quote We strongly believe the Fifa Congress should be postponed with new Fifa presidential elections to be organised within the next six months - Uefa secretary general Gianni Infantino at the Sheraton Hotel

Will probably be a series of plea deals until they get Blatter.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

I think it's worse to allow it to stay in Qatar, and to allow the crooks to thus "win" out. Not to mention, these migrant workers if the Brit stories are to be believed, are essentially slaves.

Anyone who attends the World Cup in 2022 would be exercising a serious lack of morality. Beyond that, it seems like this would be the mother of all Terrorist targets so I'd expect attendance to suffer for that reason as well.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I think it's worse to allow it to stay in Qatar, and to allow the crooks to thus "win" out. Not to mention, these migrant workers if the Brit stories are to be believed, are essentially slaves.

Anyone who attends the World Cup in 2022 would be exercising a serious lack of morality. Beyond that, it seems like this would be the mother of all Terrorist targets so I'd expect attendance to suffer for that reason as well.

Yeah I just feel horrible that all of these people were subjected to slave labor and died trying to accomplish something that won't ever happen.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ

I'd rather make all those deaths count for nothing than continue on and let thousands more die in the next 6/7 years.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
I'd rather make all those deaths count for nothing than continue on and let thousands more die in the next 6/7 years.

Even without the World Cup, i doubt much would change for those poor souls. Still plenty of other construction projects in Qatar. And they used the bring in workforce from some poor country, take away their papers and make them work for next to nothing until they don't need them anymore for quite some time now and will probably continue to do so.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you can somehow sweep out all the corruption of FIFA (including Blatter) they could hold the World Cups on the moon for all I care. What's done is done, they're obviously not stripping the World Cup despite a ton of evidence of corruption in both votes. There wouldn't even be enough time to put it anywhere else besides the USA in 2018 and that shift (Russia-US) would annoy them so much it might reignite the Cold War :P

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I could see it potentially being a problem if a US led investigation gets Russia's World Cup taken away from them.

Maybe that was Putins plan all along. He has a 82% approval rating in Russia. If the US gets the world cup he could say "See America and the west are against us". Lately he has been doing interviews using similar examples.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Wouldn't the 18 cup be moved to a Uefa country? The UK could put it up easily enough or France?

22 if they took it from Qatar would be the one that would come here.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Maybe that was Putins plan all along. He has a 82% approval rating in Russia. If the US gets the world cup he could say "See America and the west are against us". Lately he has been doing interviews using similar examples.
Just saw this statement given a few minutes ago.

“Once again, we urge Washington to stop trying to judge far beyond its borders for its legal standards and follow the generally accepted international legal procedures,” Russian ministry spokesman A.K. Lukashevich said in a statement Wednesday, according to an English translation.
"this is clearly another case of illegal exterritorial use of US law,"
“We hope that this will in no way be used to tarnish the international football organization in general,” he said.

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
Just saw this statement given a few minutes ago.

“Once again, we urge Washington to stop trying to judge far beyond its borders for its legal standards and follow the generally accepted international legal procedures,†Russian ministry spokesman A.K. Lukashevich said in a statement Wednesday, according to an English translation.
"this is clearly another case of illegal exterritorial use of US law,"
“We hope that this will in no way be used to tarnish the international football organization in general,†he said.

Except you know...these crimes, so far, have all happened on US soil so I'm curious as to wtf the Russians are talking about.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
I dont want to touch the 2018 or 2022 WCs with a 10ft pole.

Dont mind them being taken away IF corruption was proven in the awarding process.

If possible they should go to other countries that put in bids that have never had it before. If the true intention is growing the international game then that would make sense.

England and the US can wait to get it.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

The fact that both an English and a German film crew trying to investigate this matter have both been "detained" for leaving the State organized tour of the labor facilities is all anyone needs to know. Similar to what Cuba and China does with tours of manufacturing, hospitals, business, etc...

What's done is done, they're obviously not stripping the World Cup despite a ton of evidence of corruption in both votes.

I'm not 100% there yet. If this rabbit hole gets a lot deeper, I think Qatar could be in doubt. You're probably right, but I dont think it's the slamdunk most seem to think. There is time.

There wouldn't even be enough time to put it anywhere else besides the USA in 2018 and that shift (Russia-US) would annoy them so much it might reignite the Cold War :P

Not to mention, there's the very real fact that the decision makers with the power to make the decision to take it away from Russia would not do so for fear that they might suffer a fatal "accident". People who annoy Putin end up dead.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Neither competition is being moved so it's not worth worrying about

Im not suggesting they will be.

Qatar and Russia got money.
FIFA loves money.
FIFA loves Qatar and Russia.

Nothing will change until Sepp is gone and he isnt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad