Waived: Good Night, Sweet Prince (Alex Semin Buyout Mega Thread)

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
In defense of bleed: I came back to watching this team after EStaal was traded in March 2016 and it was a totally different team in terms of the pace. It was *so* much more exciting to watch. I think the difference was the involvement of the defensemen in the O zone, and maybe some additional aggressiveness in the neutral zone. His system was fantastic.

In defense of Mrs Hank: you're a terrible coach if you can't get the players to play for something. Peters never got those teams to play for him because they didn't like him and never got them to play for each other because he didn't foster the environment. If you're going to be standoffish to the players, there has to be something that brings them together, and it's your job to make sure it exists.

By Brind'Amour's own assessment, his system is a minor tweak from Peters'...I can't say I noticed much of any difference. My belief is that Brind'Amour's biggest coaching accomplishment was to hold players accountable in a healthy way, show them trust by not flogging them when they made mistakes, and create the family atmosphere he loved under Laviolette. Those changes got the sum of parts to play greater than the individual pieces, something that Peters was never going to cook up.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
By Brind'Amour's own assessment, his system is a minor tweak from Peters'...I can't say I noticed much of any difference. My belief is that Brind'Amour's biggest coaching accomplishment was to hold players accountable in a healthy way, show them trust by not flogging them when they made mistakes, and create the family atmosphere he loved under Laviolette. Those changes got the sum of parts to play greater than the individual pieces, something that Peters was never going to cook up.
I honestly 100% think it starts with having a coach who is in the gym busting his own ass every single morning as the players arrive for their workouts. Its hard not to want to follow a coach who you can see giving it all in the gym doing the exact same things he's asking of you.

So many other coaches take an executive approach where they just view it from the top down, but he's putting in the hard work and sweating his ass off with the rest of them. Sometimes its something as simple as that to get players to view the coach as one of them and to buy into everything he says.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
In defense of bleed: I came back to watching this team after EStaal was traded in March 2016 and it was a totally different team in terms of the pace. It was *so* much more exciting to watch. I think the difference was the involvement of the defensemen in the O zone, and maybe some additional aggressiveness in the neutral zone. His system was fantastic.

In defense of Mrs Hank: you're a terrible coach if you can't get the players to play for something. Peters never got those teams to play for him because they didn't like him and never got them to play for each other because he didn't foster the environment. If you're going to be standoffish to the players, there has to be something that brings them together, and it's your job to make sure it exists.

Silly geehaad, putting forth a nuanced perspective instead of picking either black or white. :sarcasm:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I know it isn't the direction you are going here, but the most obvious tactical difference to me between the two of them is the philosophy of "dump and chase". Peters hated it and even said in some of his earliest press conversations that he wanted to eliminate most of it. He never liked the idea of giving up possession. And that is one of his biggest faults because Ron never was able to get enough guys that could carry the puck in reliably. We made strides in that direction, but still had too few players really good at it. Rod came in and looked at the personel and changed that. Now we are one of the top two or three teams in dumping it in and then going in to get it. And I think we might be the best at getting possession back after the dump in.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
TT, Aho, Lindy, Staal....all very good possession players. All of our d had been good possession players before we forced in Hanifin and Fleury, not that they were bad....just inexperienced.

The possession game freed up our more talented players to do what they do well. I agree we didn’t have enough of them but we were going in the right direction. Rod didn’t look at the personnel and decide to go in a different direction. His direction is how he played and he thinks it should be. Old school dump and chase. We immediately started to turnover personnel to play that system as well, it wasn’t because that’s what we had.

Reactions: geehaad

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
I think it was all downhill from here:

i think i've told the story before, but this allows me to check the dates...

i loved the original signing. loved what he was doing, thought he was great. my (then future) wife bought me a Semin jersey; the picture i have tells me that was on march 9th.

that story on the signing is dated march 23rd.

so, i had about two weeks before that one went over the edge, toonces style.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
i think i've told the story before, but this allows me to check the dates...

i loved the original signing. loved what he was doing, thought he was great. my (then future) wife bought me a Semin jersey; the picture i have tells me that was on march 9th.

that story on the signing is dated march 23rd.

so, i had about two weeks before that one went over the edge, toonces style.
I had a fairly similar story. I was always a Semin fan and my wife never liked him a ton as a Caps fan. The prize for my family's March Madness bracket that year was a new jersey of any kind. My father-in-law, knowing the above, just went ahead and got me a Semin Canes jersey. Yeah, the good times didn't last long enough. I still always wished we could hang onto him and he'd have a bit of magic left. Well, they were completely right to move on and I was wrong. But I still enjoyed the great to good version of him that we got for a short while. Sold the jersey a couple of years back on eBay or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad