Waived: Good Night, Sweet Prince (Alex Semin Buyout Mega Thread)

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
After going through this thread and reading about runaway wives, bribing police officers with Pizza, backseat moderators, and climaxes, I have come to a conclusion.

We here at HFCANES need a reality TV show.

My favorite part of the thread is the discussion about how we don't need another defenseman because our defense was:

hainsey- faulk
hanifin- wisniewski
jordan- murphy
rissanen- biega

My eyes hurt just looking at that

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Oh, he was, was he? Ok.
There definitely some revisionist history going on, which isn’t unusual. That guy made a horrible team play very well, and his system got as much credit around the league as Rod has gotten at times. He got a lot out of minimal skill and the structure the team had was needed and worked. Very well actually. The team was on the upswing right up to the collapse that happened during the last couple of months.

Our current defense would look pretty amazing in that system.

The irony of saying he didn’t adapt to modern hockey is that his system was viewed as progressive and well....the future.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
There definitely some revisionist history going on, which isn’t unusual. That guy made a horrible team play very well, and his system got as much credit around the league as Rod has gotten at times. He got a lot out of minimal skill and the structure the team had was needed and worked. Very well actually. The team was on the upswing right up to the collapse that happened during the last couple of months.

Our current defense would look pretty amazing in that system.

The irony of saying he didn’t adapt to modern hockey is that his system was viewed as progressive and well....the future.

Stop with the revisionist history nonsense. If anyone here ever thought he was "a good coach" it was only in comparison to Kirk Muller, who was a f***ing awful coach, and because we were desperate for any "good coach" and convinced ourselves that he was "good" in the same way that we convinced ourselves that, say, Brett Bellemore was "good".

He never even got us to the playoffs here, he never won shit in Calgary, and apparently he can't make it out of the first round of the KHL playoffs with Pavel Datsyuk as his captain -- and is apparently kind of an asshole.

Weird hill to die on, bro.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I mean, he had a system and got guys to buy into it pretty well. Seemed good from that standpoint.

Results, not so much. Leadership, not so much. Never taking responsibility for lack of results, yes. Seemingly a dick, yes. I'm not gonna say he had the perfect situation but he never moved beyond scrappy structure that was happy to win the corsi battle.

Just like Francis, you might be able to see the seeds of his tenure still on this team, but like Francis, I think it is very good for us that we moved on.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Yeah, Peters was a good X's and O's coach, but terrible otherwise. He was a well documented asshole and racist. Players didn't like to play for him, they were afraid of him. And what the f*ck was up with that fireman helmet crap? That is something you do for 6 year olds, not grown men.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Stop with the revisionist history nonsense. If anyone here ever thought he was "a good coach" it was only in comparison to Kirk Muller, who was a f***ing awful coach, and because we were desperate for any "good coach" and convinced ourselves that he was "good" in the same way that we convinced ourselves that, say, Brett Bellemore was "good".

He never even got us to the playoffs here, he never won shit in Calgary, and apparently he can't make it out of the first round of the KHL playoffs with Pavel Datsyuk as his captain -- and is apparently kind of an asshole.

I was going to weigh in on this but saw that you already buried the microphone into the floor. Well said. Agree 100%

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

He never got us to the playoffs? That’s the hill you’d stand on? Fascinating. I suppose you think Rod would’ve gotten that roster to the playoffs?

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
He never got us to the playoffs? That’s the hill you’d stand on? Fascinating. I suppose you think Rod would’ve gotten that roster to the playoffs?

We will never know, will we? But you're never gonna hear anyone say about Brindy that he kicked a player because he was in his feels, that is for sure.

If you're gonna mold yourself in the Asshole Coach mold, then you'd better win. Because if you don't, the only thing anyone will remember about you is that you were an asshole.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We will never know, will we? But you're never gonna hear anyone say about Brindy that he kicked a player because he was in his feels, that is for sure.

If you're gonna mold yourself in the Asshole Coach mold, then you'd better win. Because if you don't, the only thing anyone will remember about you is that you were an asshole.
You’ve been wont to tell us all that matters is winning, and as you say as long as you win you can be an asshole. I don’t think it’s the best way but I also don’t believe we actually know what was going on with those teams. I don’t believe they were scared or held prisoner. He pushed them and some people don’t like that. He went over the line and was corrected for it. We hear the stories we want to hear in all that, but I do believe he had lost the room by the end of the last season.

His system to me failed because it needed smart two way defenseman, which he had in Hainsey, Liles, along with young Pesce and Slavin who all excelled in the tight gap control needed to play it right. As we lost Hainsey and Liles and replaced them with Hanifin and then Fleury it fell apart as Hanifin couldn’t think the game quick enough at that age and Fleury needed time to develop. Goaltending was also awful, but we tend to forget how that let us down. That goaltending currently would have us not making the playoffs either....but we’ll say it was the coach because that’s what we do.

The change happened because we found a good motivator for young players and a gm who was eager to spend the assets he had inherited. As you would say all that matters with that is that we now win so therefore good. I don’t disagree with that. I do think Francis would have us in the same spot but just like you say with Brindy we will never know so I let that go personally.

Peters may be a douchebag but that was the only time I saw anyone turn our team around with X’s and O’s in the many years I’ve watched us play. Lavi was the only coach I saw actually read the team right and do a better job. Mo had success, but did it by playing conservative and obsessive defensive hockey with neutral zone clogging. It was putrid to watch but it worked at times. I can respect and be impressed with Peter’s coaching without thinking much of him as a likable human being.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
You can proclaim that Peters was "a very good coach" all you want. He turned the team around? Really? His Hurricanes teams finished 8th, 6th, 7th and 6th in the Metro. I have no f***ing idea what you're talking about when you say the words "very good coach".

Reactions: A Star is Burns

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
You can proclaim that Peters was "a very good coach" all you want. He turned the team around? Really? His Hurricanes teams finished 8th, 6th, 7th and 6th in the Metro. I have no f***ing idea what you're talking about when you say the words "very good coach".
I don’t think you’d know a good one if he or she bit you in the ass, but your theory of as long as we’re winning it’s good generally checks out.

We were a rebuilding team with an initially bad roster, then a very young and generally bad one. To finish like that with the teams and goaltending we had WAS good. You know that but it never factors into anything you say about it. We’ll just say it was the coaching that kept us out of the playoffs and not Scott Darling/falling Ward....Fleury needing to be in the top 4 so we could put Hanifin on the third pair after moving on from Hainsey and Liles. Karmanos not allowing Francis to add money to the roster other than Williams. All the obvious reasons why those teams missed the playoffs. I agree, you generally don’t have any idea what I’m talking about.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Lol, okay.

Look, here's the thing: your theory is unfalsifiable. If your assertion is that Scotty Bowman couldn't have won with that roster, then who gives a f*** if he was a good coach? What are you, his mom, or his agent?

Fine. You think he was a brilliant coach. His brilliance was unappreciated.

Agree to disagree. Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad