Golden Knights Developmental Camp Schedule

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
As far as poor passing goes I actually didn't think it was that bad by rookie camp standards. In these camps these guys are usually so desperate to impress that kids will zing passes way too hard or try to be too fancy and it leads to a lot of turnovers. I though the pass completion rate was actually a lot better than I would've anticipated.

That said I was mostly disappointed in Glass' passing today. I've watched enough footage and read enough reports on Glass to know he's supposed to be a strong playmaker. And his scrimmage today didn't reflect that. He made a lot of lazy mistakes. I'm not going to read too much into it but I'd like to see a little more in the ways of intensity while on offense. He basically had two levels, intense and persistent defensively and lax offensively. If he had Reid Duke's hustle with the puck he'd be in great shape going forward. Though I think that could come from lack of leg strength. He probably can't overdo it.

Yeah I'm trackin. He had a goal and assist today I think, which isn't a bad day but saw him on his butt at least once, and he looked gassed to me a couple times where he didn't run that 200' game and come back hard on defense. The passing I wouldn't sweat too bad at this point, that stuff should come as he gets to know his linemates and settles in/gets comfortable.

And I think conditioning is a problem too at this point. Think we need to wait and see how he and some of these others come back to compete in September and use what they're learning now.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
First period thoughts:

Brannstrom holds the zone to assist Nick Campoli on the first goal. He's still the most wired in guy on the ice. His eyes dart around scanning the ice at all times.

Elvenes looks a little more active around the ice rather than skating in straight lines

Gottlieb just had a sick dangle in front of the white goalie. Good save.

Bajkov tries to deke out Rondjberg but he holds ground ad pushes him off the puck.

Glass seems to fall more than anyone else but he managed to knock the puck off the attacking forwards stick from his knees. I'll credit his forechecking. He's been one of the most active forwards defensively.

Brannstrom gets one good pinch along the boards and then fails the second one leading to a chance for team gray. There's the inexperience.

Random thought but this is the most packed I've ever seen one of the Ice Center rinks. I had to get in as a walk in where they made me wait in line outside in the heat.

Rondjberg just took a slick cross crease pass and buries it. He's been a lot more noticeable. Good pass by Hyka. Best play I've seen from him thus far.

First I've seen Hague use good stick work, makes a steal, passes it off a little wide, steals again and gains zone entry. He's moving his feet a little better today.

Dugan got a nice goal from Ben Jones. Jones doesn't have a well built all around game but along the dots he's been an efficient play maker.

Tuch receives a pass in the middle of the ice and just toe drag bulls his way to the goal. No one able to knock him off. Powerforward tendencies for sure.

Oh my Slakar just had the nicest goal of the last four periods of scrimmage. He finds open ice along the middle and rushes to the net, gets tripped from behind and sweeps the puck in 5 hole from his knees. 2-2 at this point.

Watching Glass in transition you can tell he's a cerebral player compared to others here. Possibly with the exception of Brannstrom. They both have their heads on a swivel and make sure to be aware of every player on the ice. Not just the puck. I think this may attribute to my perception that Glass doesn't have as much intensity on offense. It looks like every stride he takes and every change of direction is measured and calculated. He's making better decisions with the puck too.

Elvenes looking like a bigger threat today.

Duke plays with some fire.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Second period

Glass, Kolesar and Brannstrom on a line together. Was expecting some fun but Glass draws puck delayed offside, recovers, then turns the puck over.

Duke connects with Tuch in the middle then gets the puck tic tac toe style to their third linemate (couldn't see the number but it was a solid play). Hague looked weak covering the passing lane.

Suzuki has been pretty meh today.

Kolesar rings a shot off the post. He looked deadly attacking the net. Glass' line continues to hound the net with some good passing plays. More Glass/Brannstrom/Kolesar please.

Glass with a great steal along the boards finishes his shift with a nice stretch pass to a cheating Vidmar who had no finish on his shot.

I like how Hague roves the point on offense. A little Weberesque.

Hyka delivering the offense today. Kind of a hectic play in front of the white net and he buries the puck past white goalie's glove. 3-2 Gray. Suzuki and Rondjberg assist.

Barre-Boule with the biggest flub of a pass so far. Neutral zone spinorama pass to the middle of the ice with no zip on it which gets easily stolen. He makes up for it with some deadly chances and a couple shots on goal.

Suzuki tries to drift the puck between his legs to get around Hague but Hague stops him cold.

Glass is winning all his board battles right now. Man if he can just fill out his frame he's gonna be a real strong player.

Looks like Melnick ran over team Gray's goalie

I do think Duke could handle a fourth line right now but I think he could stand to take some AHL time.

After his stupid pass Barre-Boulet is playing like a fire cracker. And now this is the second time someone had missed Glass wide open in the crease.

Hague just watching gray assault his goalie. Wasn't happy with that. Then he uses his stick to straight up strip a pass to Suzuki. He's been real hot and cold today. But like I said he's been faster. Still the slowest guy out there but he's more involved in the play today.

Not gonna read too much into it but Duke didn't look to smart on an attempt to keep the puck in the zone after it crossed outside. He was trying hard to muscle the puck back in when he should've realized the play would be called offside.

Kolesar looking a lot more dangerous than he did in the first period.

I haven't talked about him but Tyler Wong is pretty solid though. He needs to add some upper body strength and work on his positioning.

Brannstrom continues to be the most impressive guy here in my opinion. Hague has improved from yesterday though I still wasn't happy that he just watched Gray pepper his goalie in the crease with shots and he did nothing to clear them out. A guy his size should be making use if his physical advantage.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Third

I think Suzuki might have gotten hurt. Not sure.

Elvenes honestly reminds me of Collberg. But hopefully he has a better track to the big show

Suzuki is alive here had a Patrick Kane esque deke shoe to the net but whoever is in goal for white is wired in right now. Nope that was actually Duke but Suzuki is back on the ice now.

Sick drop pass from Kolesar to Barre-Boulet who nearly converts but gray voice closed the pads off. Nice play. Glass off of Kolesar's line now. Speaking of, his most recent shift was only like 30 seconds.

Hague with a nice effort to clear the zone. I still think he should get with a skating coach but he's definitely been faster today

Oh my word. Brannstrom with a very slick toe drag to slip past two forecheckers and finishes off with a deadly wrist shot stopped by Gray's goaltender. The crowd can't believe that wasn't a goal.

Next shift a good passing play leads to a sweet finish from Suzuki. 4-3 gray leads . another assist for Hyka

I wish I knew who was in goal for team gray. He just made a sick glove grab on a real good deke to backhand. I'll try to find out who it is.

Brannstrom with a very good pass to the weak side with a great save by team Gray, puck goes back the other way and Brannstrom cuts off the two on one rush with his stick and positioning. What a sequence for him

Outhouse is in goal for team Gray. I've been impressed with his period.

Hyka gets his second goal. Big turnaround from his meh game yesterday.

Brouillard finds a seam to connect with Suzuki down the middle and he tried a real hot dog between the legs deke to wrist shot but it got stopped. Surprisingly had a chance to go in. Suzuki got a chance to show his skill there.

Oh my Hague pinches deep into the middle of the ice and you see the weakness in in his foot speed as he's the last man back defensively by a lot.

Brannstrom still creating more than anyone else on team white. Gets the puck up past the face off dots and holds, tries to wrist it past Outhouse and gets stopped. Then gets another wrister through off the face off. I'd like to see him try to add strength to his shot.

Wong with a great steal and manages to get a breakaway but gets stopped. Next shift he holds the zone, skates to the middle of the point and slaps it home through White goalie's 5 hole. Nice plays from him. 6-3 team gray.

Glass finally gets fed in front but he shots the puck wide. He's still been most impressive away from the puck.

Elvenes sinks the empty netter. 7-3 Gray. Ironically. I was saying Brannstrom should shoot harder and the reason it cleared the zone to Elvenes is cause it deflected too hard off of Outhouse's pad.

Someone dumped a gray player to the ice and is met with shoves. Not the place for that stuff.

Gray wins again. But they're giving us a shootout.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Hyka with the first shootout goal. Sick move.

Outhouse is just unstoppable. Stops a great try by Kolesar.

Big applause when Reid Duke's name is announced. Already a fan favorite.

Brannstrom gets big applause too. Tried a great puck drag but Outhouse saved it.

Tuch tried to be too fancy.

Hague gets hard stick taps from the white team before his shot for some reason.

Elvenes thinks he's Patrick Kane. Stick handles it off his own stick in front of the goalie.

Lots of fancy attempts but still 1-1. Brendan Harris had the coolest deke attempt yet.

Tyler Wong with a more conventional backhand to fronthand attempt but nothing doing.

Max Verram...can't spell his name finally gets the goal and the shootout is over.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
There's some promise here for sure.

To me the most nhl ready are Tuch, Duke, and Kolesar.

In terms of upside I think the three first rounders showed the most promise. Brannstrom especially impressed me. I want to see more from Glass offensively. He wasn't dangerous enough. And for Suzuki, my hope is that he realizes that he's not always going to be able to pull off these dazzling moves in the pros. He's gonna need to learn to navigate the offensive zone with less space and time. Though it is nice to see that level of creativity.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Very well done and thanks, HS!

Don't know how you kept up...my chronic slow-wittedness would have interfered. :laugh:

I've always had a tendency to overanalyze players even in meaningless regular season games instead of just kicking back and enjoying the game.

I think under different circumstances in life I would've pursued a career in scouting but growing up in California and moving to Las Vegas, there wasn't any sort of apparent road to such a career.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
There's some promise here for sure.

To me the most nhl ready are Tuch, Duke, and Kolesar.

In terms of upside I think the three first rounders showed the most promise. Brannstrom especially impressed me. I want to see more from Glass offensively. He wasn't dangerous enough. And for Suzuki, my hope is that he realizes that he's not always going to be able to pull off these dazzling moves in the pros. He's gonna need to learn to navigate the offensive zone with less space and time. Though it is nice to see that level of creativity.

Obviously size is an issue but did Brannstrom's hockey sense seem top notch to perhaps survive the NHL? As a Wild fan, we never expected Jared Spurgeon to step into the NHL right away because of his size but with his stickwork, positioning, patience, and smarts, he became a top four d-man in his first pro year.

Hoping to see the same in Brannstrom. He did see a few times 20+ minutes in the SHL.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Obviously size is an issue but did Brannstrom's hockey sense seem top notch to perhaps survive the NHL? As a Wild fan, we never expected Jared Spurgeon to step into the NHL right away because of his size but with his stickwork, positioning, patience, and smarts, he became a top four d-man in his first pro year.

Hoping to see the same in Brannstrom. He did see a few times 20+ minutes in the SHL.

I don't think it will be a matter of can he survive the NHL. I think it's more a question of will he be able to handle the speed and physicality of the NHL to be a star quality player or just a solid guy.

I personally feel his IQ and awareness is through the roof. I've made the Vatanen comparison several times and I watched Vatanen since his draft year. I'd say Brannstrom has better innate defensive awareness and instincts.

I did try to see things through the context of the kind of camp he was at but the kind of hockey he plays does give me the impression that he can make noise at the next level. I do think he should spend more time playing in the SHL and he should take time to add strength to his shot. I'd also like to see him show a desire to take slapshots. I don't think any of his shots from the point were slappers.

As for the qualities you attributed to Spurgeon, I'd say Brannstrom exhibited all of them except possibly the patience. Brannstrom played a more direct and reactive style of defensive hockey rather than a measured tactical one that forces mistakes.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I don't think it will be a matter of can he survive the NHL. I think it's more a question of will he be able to handle the speed and physicality of the NHL to be a star quality player or just a solid guy.

I personally feel his IQ and awareness is through the roof. I've made the Vatanen comparison several times and I watched Vatanen since his draft year. I'd say Brannstrom has better innate defensive awareness and instincts.

I did try to see things through the context of the kind of camp he was at but the kind of hockey he plays does give me the impression that he can make noise at the next level. I do think he should spend more time playing in the SHL and he should take time to add strength to his shot. I'd also like to see him show a desire to take slapshots. I don't think any of his shots from the point were slappers.

As for the qualities you attributed to Spurgeon, I'd say Brannstrom exhibited all of them except possibly the patience. Brannstrom played a more direct and reactive style of defensive hockey rather than a measured tactical one that forces mistakes.

Personally, the selection of shots is not a huge deal for me as long as the shots he does utilize make it into the net.

And for sure, its probably better for development for another year in the SHL and WJC in Sweden but as a fan, the idea of him suiting up in the black and gold this year is very fun to think about :popcorn::popcorn:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Personally, the selection of shots is not a huge deal for me as long as the shots he does utilize make it into the net.

And for sure, its probably better for development for another year in the SHL and WJC in Sweden but as a fan, the idea of him suiting up in the black and gold this year is very fun to think about :popcorn::popcorn:
Most of his shots did make it to the net so he's got that covered.

As for making the team this year...I wouldn't bank on it. I think based on his speed and passing ability...he could survive in the NHL right now but I'd like to see him build some strength first and take the time to play with adults outside of the atmosphere of a year one expansion team. I don't think it would do any of our prospects good to be there as a system gets built. It's better for them to develop and come back after the groundwork has been laid.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Any reports / anybody notice Dylan Coghlan?

I'm born and raised in Tri, and my parents still live there and billet Ams.

Saw he was on the training camp roster, but didn't see a word mentioned about him. Assuming that's a bad thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad