GDT: Golden Knights @ Blackhawks 7:00 PM (CT) NBCSCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That is where we disagree. If he is one of the better players in the back end already and is getting the minutes/holding his own I don’t get how sending him back to playing with kids is going to help him develop. It’s a been there, done that thing with juniors. How do you learn and grow on how to play with and against NHL players by going back and dominating juniors? If he was overwhelmed, not physically capable, didn’t show he could play up here then fine. He has shown he is physically capable and not overwhelmed, I am still not understanding how saying to him nice try now go back and play with kids is going to advance him. Just my opinion, we will see soon what is decided
Pretty sure it was already decided. This is from yesterday.

Seems like we have our answer

Reactions: Salvaged Ship

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Korchinski has had dominant shifts. He's had bad shifts. If thirty games in he's getting abused send him down. A nineteen year old treading water with good and bad? That guy should be learning at this level. He's too good good for juniors. I laugh when people talk about him developing his shot. You think teenagers are going to help him more than millionaire professional athletes?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
That is where we disagree. If he is one of the better players in the back end already and is getting the minutes/holding his own I don’t get how sending him back to playing with kids is going to help him develop. It’s a been there, done that thing with juniors. How do you learn and grow on how to play with and against NHL players by going back and dominating juniors? If he was overwhelmed, not physically capable, didn’t show he could play up here then fine. He has shown he is physically capable and not overwhelmed, I am still not understanding how saying to him nice try now go back and play with kids is going to advance him. Just my opinion, we will see soon what is decided
Well, I haven't seen him play at all in Junior but didn't someone mention that he wasn't actually the dominant player that some folks assumed. And as I said the NHL season is young - the intensity and physicality is nowhere close to where it will be by Christmas and beyond. And one more point, Korchinski was smoked on his first shift vs Vegas. We don't want that to be a regular thing but I'm afraid it will be if he stays.

Korchinski has had dominant shifts. He's had bad shifts. If thirty games in he's getting abused send him down. A nineteen year old treading water with good and bad? That guy should be learning at this level. He's too good good for juniors. I laugh when people talk about him developing his shot. You think teenagers are going to help him more than millionaire professional athletes?
I hear you but the same argument can be said about any young player who is still of Junior age.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Well, I haven't seen him play at all in Junior but didn't someone mention that he wasn't actually the dominant player that some folks assumed. And as I said the NHL season is young - the intensity and physicality is nowhere close to where it will be by Christmas and beyond. And one more point, Korchinski was smoked on his first shift vs Vegas. We don't want that to be a regular thing but I'm afraid it will be if he stays.

I hear you but the same argument can be said about any young player who is still of Junior age.
What? Very few teenagers can play at the NHL level.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Are we saying players improve skills from teammates or opponents? I'm not sure the shot quip.

In junior, he wasn't a dominating take control player like on a PP where he could eventually be. If he by playing in junior took over, uses his ability to run a powerplay more strongly, he could develop that skill. He could develop

Is he going to take chances in the NHL he didn't take in junior? If we want him to be an offensively dominating force, he should of done so. He would be more the guy with experience doing that if he goes down.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I'm with Pez and others on this: Korch has not been our worst defenseman--and Pickle has been our best.

If there was any reason to send Korch down, the only reason I could think of is that he probably shouldn't be tasked with having to cover for Murphy in the backend as a 19 year old rookie.

Reactions: Pez68

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Too early to tell, IMO. You have to keep him up for more than 9 games before deciding. He's earned that.

But the concerns over his shot are a little ridiculous. Might be the least important attribute and the easiest one to improve upon.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
It’s cliche but players never get their development ruined by playing an extra year of juniors and the Hawks are in a position where they really don’t need him in order to compete and can afford to play it super safe.

He could very well learn a lot at the NHL level defensively but simultaneously he could start playing very safe/not taking risks and stunt his offensive growth and creativity. There’s a reason not many defenders his age play full time in the NHL, hell even Cale Makar took an extra year.

Ultimately I think Korchinski stays unless he shows that he’s overwhelmed and has his minutes cut back, which I think is fair

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He's leading the team in GA/60 by a lot and he isn't killing penalties. He's the only regular DMan (ahead of Zaitsev) with over 50 % offensive zone faceoffs. He's being looked at with "kid gloves" to say he's been good, as you can argue maybe he's been good for a 19 year old, but objectively he has not been good for an NHL Defenseman.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
He's leading the team in GA/60 by a lot and he isn't killing penalties. He's the only regular DMan (ahead of Zaitsev) with over 50 % offensive zone faceoffs. He's being looked at with "kid gloves" to say he's been good, as you can argue maybe he's been good for a 19 year old, but objectively he has not been good for an NHL Defenseman.
Yup. Vlasic's been facing top lines and star forwards consistently all year and theres a +12 difference between their 5v5 goal differential. Flawed stat yes, but not a coincidence in this case

Reactions: WarriorofTime

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It’s cliche but players never get their development ruined by playing an extra year of juniors and the Hawks are in a position where they really don’t need him in order to compete and can afford to play it super safe.

He could very well learn a lot at the NHL level defensively but simultaneously he could start playing very safe/not taking risks and stunt his offensive growth and creativity. There’s a reason not many defenders his age play full time in the NHL, hell even Cale Makar took an extra year.

Ultimately I think Korchinski stays unless he shows that he’s overwhelmed and has his minutes cut back, which I think is fair
Good post..... and some good points by several posters. Like I said, it's no easy decision.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Including Bedard, who is even younger, and he is going nowhere. I get a defenseman is a different animal, just watching KK these first 5 games he looks like he belongs here. We will find out soon

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The idea that you can send a player who is good enough to play in the NHL, to a vastly inferior league to continue developing, is just silly. There's nothing he can work on in juniors, that he's not going to be WAY better off working on in the NHL, with NHL coaches, in NHL facilities, against NHL talent. You get better by playing against better players.

If KK is ready to play in the NHL, he's ready, and he stays. You only send him back if he cannot compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad