Going forward: Auston Matthews or Leon Draisaitl (no contracts)

Going forward: Auston Matthews or Leon Draisaitl (no contracts)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Please go ahead find my hardcore homer posts. Go for it.

Meanwhile we have Leafs fans arguing how Matthews isn’t a 50 goal scorer and other inane bullshit for petty internet points.

Do you have anything meaningful to add? We both know it’s a resounding no. Keep stuffing those Leaf polls.

Quoting before the edit. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

JGuardz

Dec 22, 2009
45 of Matthews 95 points directly involve Marner (either assisting on Marners goal or vise versa or both assisting on same goal) and 65 of his 95 points have come with Marner on the ice. Yet no one is calling Matthews a 50 point player without Marner. Weird
The original post said that Mcdavid and Draisaitl play on separate lines, therefore Mcdavid shouldn't have an impact on Draisaitl's totals.
Just p60, or if you think that McDavid (even though he’s on another line) counts for 50% of Drais points, while also ignoring Matthews linemates
Marner and Matthews play on the same line (65% of the time Matthews hits the ice, Marner is on the ice as well). If anything, you've shown how much Draisaitl benefits from his brief playing time with Mcdavid - Matthews and Marner share the ice 65% of the time, and yet Marner is only involved in 45 of Matthews points (47%!).

Draisaitl has only played ~41% (even strength and PP only) with Mcdavid but somehow Mcdavid has received a direct contribution to 45% of his point totals. Draisaitl is getting a lopsided amount of his points with a player he barely plays 5 on 5 with.

Nobody is making a claim that Draisaitl is not an elite player, but the idea that he's creating a ton of offence without Mcdavid is false. He still benefits a ton playing with Mcdavid despite only playing 1/2 of his time with him.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
The original post said that Mcdavid and Draisaitl play on separate lines, therefore Mcdavid shouldn't have an impact on Draisaitl's totals.

Marner and Matthews play on the same line (65% of the time Matthews hits the ice, Marner is on the ice as well). If anything, you've shown how much Draisaitl benefits from his brief playing time with Mcdavid - Matthews and Marner share the ice 65% of the time, and yet Marner is only involved in 45 of Matthews points (47%!).

Draisaitl has only played ~41% (even strength and PP only) with Mcdavid but somehow Mcdavid has received a direct contribution to 45% of his point totals. Draisaitl is getting a lopsided amount of his points with a player he barely plays 5 on 5 with.

Nobody is making a claim that Draisaitl is not an elite player, but the idea that he's creating a ton of offence without Mcdavid is false. He still benefits a ton playing with Mcdavid despite only playing 1/2 of his time with him.
Multiple people are making the claim that Drai isn’t elite. Even in this thread posters have claimed he’s a 60-80 pt player without McDavid. Hence why I found these stats.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Marner has been better the last 40 games or so

True, but a 40-game sample size does not a career make.

I think I saw a graphic showing that Marner led all players in points over the last 25 games or so, but nobody would say that Marner is better than McDavid.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018

I think I saw a graphic showing that Marner led all players in points over the last 25 games or so, but nobody would say that Marner is better than McDavid.
Oh I’m sure there’s 2 or 3

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I mean if Marner didn’t miss any games (9) he’d have the same amount of points (actually 1 more) than Drai this year while also playing defence. It’s not that outlandish.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I mean if Marner didn’t miss any games (9) he’d have the same amount of points (actually 1 more) than Drai this year while also playing defence. It’s not that outlandish.
How do you know he’d have those points? And goals don’t count for anything? Or are you just changing your criteria player to player?

Reactions: Duke74

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Multiple people are making the claim that Drai isn’t elite. Even in this thread posters have claimed he’s a 60-80 pt player without McDavid. Hence why I found these stats.
Which page were posters calling Drai a 60 point player so I can go have a look. Thanks.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

hold my beer lol

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
This thread. I believe it was 34 that said his points would be literally in half. So I guess less than 60
Brutal take considering that Draisaitl is over PPG with McDavid out of the lineup.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Brutal take considering that Draisaitl is over PPG with McDavid out of the lineup.
Equally bad take was someone trying to insinuate that Matthews' production is a result of Marner.

We have but a small sample this season, that is true, but without Matthews, Marner was not good.
Without Marner, Matthews had 7 goal and 11 points in 6 games.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Equally bad take was someone trying to insinuate that Matthews' production is a result of Marner.

We have but a small sample this season, that is true, but without Matthews, Marner was not good.
Without Marner, Matthews had 7 goal and 11 points in 6 games.
No one was trying to insinuate Matthews was a result of Marner. My post if that’s the one you’re referring to was in response to multiple posters saying Drai is only a product of McDavid because of how many points he’s in on of Drais.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Matthews is gonna score close to 65.... unless McDavid scores 50 and has a 20 point lead on Matthews I think AM's got it

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
lmao what is this
Are you another user who doesn’t like Matthews actual goal total being pointed out? A poster said Drai and Matthews both have 50 goals and Drai has more points….seemed they purposely wanted to ignore Matthews lead in goals which was 4 at that time and focus on his lead in points, which I believe it was 7 at the time.

Drai is still at 50, Matthews is now at 58. They are both 50 goal scorers, disingenuous to say both have 50 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad