Votes: 94 63.9%
  • Secondary Assist> Goal

Votes: 8 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Goals are far more important than secondary assists and it is shockingly absurd that hatred/disdain for Leaf fans have skewed these results such that it isn't a complete and utter blowout. In a myriad of idiotic poll results I have seen on here in my time here, this probably takes the cake, which is saying something.

Reactions: Dustin

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I'm glad that you get where this thread came from. It's been explained to you numerous times what McDavid has to do with it. Pretending you don't know or don't remember doesn't do anything for you.

Now with that out of the way... again... you asked a question, I answered it and recommended you or anyone else see for yourselves how many of McDavid's secondary assists last year were just the "less valuable ones" or the ones that enable the goal to happen and created the whole play. So you and anyone else for that matter could see for yourselves the quality of McDavid's secondary assists and see how many of them were the whole play and how many were the "less valuable ones".

Simply put McDavid isn't an "on average" player with "on average" secondary assists. Since it's been pointed out that there are different quality secondary assists and it has been shown that 93LEAFS is trying to marginalize McDavid using secondary assists to lower him in an attempt to close the gap between him and Matthews, and then throwing this poll up to skew things in his favor after getting soundly rekt in the original thread he attempted to use this argument in, it's a good idea to recognize this poll for what it is. A marginalization attempt to get himself back into the other thread after being laughed out of it.

And again I must have missed where this poll was called "Are McDavid's secondary assists worth more than goals?"

Regardless of how or why this thread was started, it has now become a thread asking in general are goals more important than secondary assists. Or are we to now compare McDavids Secondary Assists to Ovechkin's Goals? Hmm that sounds like a good poll. Which is more important, Ovechkin's greatest goals or McDavids greatest secondary assists?

In general including all of the goals scored through out the NHL including the absolute best goal scorers, goals are viewed by me and many others, as more important than secondary assists. Even when taking those secondary assists tallied by the walking God among hockey players McDavid.

If you are interested in debating how great McDavid is there plenty of other threads that are specifically about that. How I and clearly most who have voted see this thread, as a poll about the value of a goal vs a primary assist vs a secondary assist. That's what I am talking about and unless McDavid has over half of all secondary assists for the whole NHL his ability to change the outcome of this poll should be limited at best.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Goals are far more important than secondary assists and it is shockingly absurd that hatred/disdain for Leaf fans have skewed these results such that it isn't a complete and utter blowout. In a myriad of idiotic poll results I have seen on here in my time here, this probably takes the cake, which is saying something.

Right? If people want to debate McDavid vs Matthews there is already a crappy thread for that. If this thread was started for any other reason it would be a landslide win for goals.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
It depends. Some goals are far more important than secondary assists, some only exist because of the secondary assist.

The delusions of persecution seem to be an ongoing theme with you lot, it might be time to take an inward look. The obvious connections with this poll and 93LEAFS attempting to use secondary assists as a marginalization tool to use against McDavid in the Matthews vs McDavid thread are obvious.

No need to pretend you guys don't know.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
It depends. Some are far more important than secondary assists, some only exist because of the secondary assist.

The delusions of persecution seem to be an ongoing theme with you lot, it might be time to take an inward look. The obvious connections with this poll and 93LEAFS attempting to use secondary assists as a marginalization tool to use against McDavid in the Matthews vs McDavid thread are obvious.

No need to pretend you guys don't know.

Yes, I'm sure the overarching notion that a lot of people on here have an agenda against the Leafs are just mere "delusions". The solace in all of this is, once you reach that realization and have some sense of maturity about human nature, you can see the rest of the league/teams/players with a pretty objective scope. I don't care for the McDavid vs Matthews debate, but goals are far more important than secondary assists.

You can label it delusional if you want. On my end, it's delusional that people like you think otherwise. Whether or not it is predicated on a petty debate is irrelevant to my thoughts on this.

There is just no way your going to able to convince me that as a generality, secondary assists are even remotely equal to goals, let alone more important than it. Some things are closer to accepted facts of life, like the earth being round. Again, it's ironic because I think you would have to be delusional to think otherwise.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Yes, I'm sure the overarching notion that a lot of people on here have an agenda against the Leafs are just mere "delusions". The solace in all of this is, once you reach that realization and have some sense of maturity about human nature, you can see the rest of the league/teams/players with a pretty objective scope. I don't care for the McDavid vs Matthews debate, but goals are far more important than secondary assists.

You can label it delusional if you want. On my end, it's delusional that people like you think otherwise. Whether or not it is predicated on a petty debate is irrelevant to my thoughts on this.

There is just no way your going to able to convince me that as a generality, secondary assists are even remotely equal to goals, let alone more important than it. Some things are closer to accepted facts of life, like the earth being round. Again, it's ironic because I think you would have to be delusional to think otherwise.
I don't remember anyone saying secondary assists were more important than goals, only that some goals only exist because of the secondary assist which would make them equal in those instances, and that there are different qualities of secondary assist.

Using secondary assists as a tool to marginalize a player (not by you but by the OP in the thread that he linked this poll in) is a bad idea when the quality of the secondary assists of a particular player aren't taken into account.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I don't remember anyone saying secondary assists were more important than goals, only that some goals only exist because of the secondary assist which would make them equal in those instances, and that there are different qualities of secondary assist.

Using secondary assists as a tool to marginalize a player (not by you but by someone else) is a bad idea when the quality of the secondary assists of a particular player aren't taken into account.

Ok, so your providing some semblance of context that I don't disagree with. But as a generality, goals are quite definitively, more important and valuable than secondary assists to me. And my original qualm was with the poll results suggesting otherwise. I'm not the one engaging others on here implying they are delusional.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Just posted by Spector
"McDavid had a flu, and then some strep throat. Then another flu. So he was weak, and unable to get the kind of sleep necessary to run the most efficient hockey skating machine in the word today. He played through it without missing a game — and somehow remained at a point-per-game pace — but only now that we see him reach his familiar level do we realize how far below his best he’s been so far in 2017-18."

Lol. Matthews will never be at that level, ever. At Matthews absolute best he cannot even match McDavids absolute worst.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
All I can say here is that this should be a blowout for goals, yet people here are debating Matthews and McDavid. Pathetic really, though I'm not surprised one bit.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Well obvious the person who shot or deflected the puck into the net is critical for a goal being scored so in that effect the goal scorer is most important. A secondary assist can be a critical part for a goal being scored by setting up the play for a goal.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016

Nice victim mentality on display here. Not just you but by many others as well. Booo hooo they don't agree with me.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Nice victim mentality on display here. Not just you but by many others as well. Booo hooo they don't agree with me.

I don't have a problem with others disagreeing with something I feel strongly about, as it pertains to any matter, let alone one purely for entertainment purposes. No one ever agrees universally on anything. You can call it a victim complex, I could call your posts heavy in narcissism. I mean, I read these boards a fair amount and you happen to be in every Leafs thread. There is nothing productive coming out of insulting each others viewpoints here, it's circular.

Reactions: billcook

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Why is this a debate? Goal > Secondary Assist. FACT.

When was this narrative changed? Its always been goals > assists.

Though it shouldn't be the only way to measure a players ability. But thats not the topic for this discussion.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Why is this a debate? Goal > Secondary Assist. FACT.

When was this narrative changed? Its always been goals > assists.

Though it shouldn't be the only way to measure a players ability. But thats not the topic for this discussion.
That's not always the case though. Sometimes secondary assist=goal because some goals only exist due to a particular play made by the secondary assister.

People need to understand there are different qualities of secondary assist some are equally as important as the goal scored. That is an actual fact.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
That's not always the case though. Sometimes secondary assist=goal because some goals only exist due to a particular play made by the secondary assister.

People need to understand there are different qualities of secondary assist some are equally as important as the goal scored. That is an actual fact.
Lets not discuss outliers.

Goals > Secondary Assists.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
I don't have a problem with others disagreeing with something I feel strongly about, as it pertains to any matter, let alone one purely for entertainment purposes. No one ever agrees universally on anything. You can call it a victim complex, I could call your posts heavy in narcissism. I mean, I read these boards a fair amount and you happen to be in every Leafs thread. There is nothing productive coming out of insulting each others viewpoints here, it's circular.

Sorry they happen to mostly be Oiler or McDavid related threads that Leaf fans insist on derailing with their Matthews garbage.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Jesus OP give it a break already. Matthews is not as good as McDavid and there's no shame in that for Christ sake.

Anyway, to answer the question, they're equal. Sometimes the secondary assist can be the most important part of a play.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Both are one point
Some goals are flukes, as are some secondary assists. Maybe slightly fewer goals are fluky but I value the two similarly.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Lets not discuss outliers.

Goals > Secondary Assists.
Lets not marginalize things.

Some secondary assists are as important as goals.

There are different qualities of secondary assist.

Last edited:

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Lets not marginalize things.

Some secondary assists are as important as goals.

There are different qualities of secondary assist.
Lets play this game.

"Some secondary assists are as important as goals. There are different qualities of secondary assist"
I 100% agree with your above statement.

Now WHY should i vote different from "Goal > Secondary Assist" ? Because of outliers?
Now you're going to tell me because assist = goal, its just as important because outcome of the game. I get it. Let me further your argument. Who would you rather have Player A, guarantee's to score 3 Goals a game, or Player B, guarantee's to score 3 secondary assists a game. Doesn't matter because of outcome of the game.

Except it DOES matter. Because the Player B, has to pass it to ANOTHER player to make the goal happen.

Goal > Secondary Assist.

However i can get on board for Goal=Assist. But that's not the topic here now is it...

Now its your turn. Probably you're going to try to change perspective(or topic) or find a flaw in my words.

Last edited:

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Lets play this game.

"Some secondary assists are as important as goals. There are different qualities of secondary assist"
I 100% agree with your above statement.

Now WHY should i vote different from "Goal > Secondary Assist" ? Because of outliers?
Now you're going to tell me because assist = goal, its just as important because outcome of the game. I get it. Let me further your argument. Who would you rather have Player A, guarantee's to score 3 Goals a game, or Player B, guarantee's to score 3 secondary assists a game. Doesn't matter because of outcome of the game.

Except it DOES matter. Because the Player B, has to pass it to ANOTHER player to make the goal happen.

Goal > Secondary Assist.

However i can get on board for Goal=Assist. But that's not the topic here now is it...

Now its your turn. Probably you're going to try to change perspective(or topic) or find a flaw in my words.
Not at all. As long as you can agree that a secondary assist can be equal to a goal which you just did and if you can acknowledge certain players are better at getting those "equal to goal" secondary assists (because some players actually are) then we are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad