• Secondary Assist> Goal

Votes: 8 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Since I'm being told that the average fan views these as equal in one thread. I would like to see the response. Do you think a goal is equal in value to a secondary assist when you evaluate a player? On average. Not taking by comparing individual goals.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why isn't secondary assist > goal an option?

But seriously though, can an effort at least be falsely made to hide your agenda?
I'm not hiding my agenda at all. I said it was due to a debate. Hell, I even linked the poll from that thread. A bunch of people are saying they are equal, and that most people think that way. I want to see it.

Reactions: X66

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Where is the "it depends" option? A lot of times a goal exists solely because of the player who created the play sequence and earned a secondary assist out of it.

I can't vote, since the poll is only allowing for 2 answers to a question that has more than 2 possible answers.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You should at least have the option suggested above.

This appears to be massively agenda driven from the McDavid v Matthews thread.
Its driven by the fact a bunch of people is claiming they are equal. I've said multiple times McDavid is better. I just have a problem with the argument that goals and secondary assists are equal in value because of the NHL scoring system and then using the point totals as a primary source of analysis.

I want to see it actually defended that they are equal. It takes the two people being discussed out of it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Where is the "it depends" option? A lot of times a goal exists solely because of the player who created the play sequence and earned a secondary assist out of it.

I can't vote, since the poll is only allowing for 2 answers to a question that has more than 2 answers.
I asked on average and added the Secondary assist>Goal option.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
That can't be an answer when the question is on average. Do you think the goal scorer or the person getting the secondary assist contributed the most to a goal on average.

Did the guy with the assist do all the work and the goal scorer get an easy tap in as a result?

I think there should be a secondary goals stat whereby if you score as a result of a rebound or loose puck and didn't have the puck on your stick 5 seconds it should count for less than a normal goal.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
overall I'd go with equal.

Other than a break away, a goal is the end of a series of plays that equally contribute to the result
except then shouldn't the 4th last person who touched the puck get an assist or have it at least as valuable to the secondary one.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If a player regains possession in his own zone, skates it out of his own zone, through several defenders in the neutral zone, sets up a teammate for a prime scoring chance, and another player scores the rebound goal.

I would say, the 2nd assist is worth more than the goal, or the 1st assist. We know McDavid has done this before. Thus this massively agenda driven poll really leaves out a lot for interpretation.

Reactions: McNuge

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
My slap shot hit off Team mate A's butt then off Team mate B's face.
That goal doesn't happen for Team mate B if I didn't take the slap shot and ricochet off A's butt.

hmm...rule book says they're equal so they're equal.

McDavid is still better than Matthews

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
My slap shot hit off Team mate A's butt then off Team mate B's face.
That goal doesn't happen for Team mate B if I didn't take the slap shot and ricochet off A's butt.

hmm...rule book says they're equal so they're equal.

McDavid is still better than Matthews
Isn't that a primary assist?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
there are obviously exceptions, but as a general rule a goal is more valuable and more indicative of a greater involvement in a scoring play than a secondary assist. It's too much work to examine every play in depth and allot points on a weighted basis in terms of involvement in a play or whatever though, so it's fair to have them both (+ primary assists) be worth 1 point each. If there comes a time when we can track in depth easily, then I wouldn't be opposed to changing it up though

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The best playmakers generally have the most 2nd assists so they should not be relegated to be worth less.

According to the OP, Cheechoo would have been arguably the star for the Sharks in 2005/06.

Goal > Secondary assist in a vacuum. For an average player, secondary assists vary so much season to season you have to say that most are just luck.

But, then you have total valid counterpoints like Cheechoo. Or dudes who just stand in front of the net and do nothing to drive play.

So goals > secondary assists, but more goals doesn't mean better player.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Isn't that a primary assist?

I get the secondary assist for my poorly done slapshot that happened to ricochet off my team mates. Unless you're having difficulty following.

I heard this Lidstrom guy was really good with the bank off the boards style assist. I suppose he's a horrible player.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
2nd assists are always worth more. That's why after the goal the guy who got the secondary assist goes into the corner first and taps everyone's glove on the bench first.

Reactions: biotk

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
except then shouldn't the 4th last person who touched the puck get an assist or have it at least as valuable to the secondary one.
It's not like the player who scored the goal was handed the puck by the ref and allowed to skate freely uncontested to a goalie and score on him. Plays happen to enable him to score the vast majority of the time. Those plays are primary and secondary assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad