Speculation: Goalie situation beyond Connor

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
For whatever reason it seems like Laurent Brossoit for whatever reason has had good season/bad season (admittedly in a small sample size) to this point at the NHL level and Eric Comrie continues to try and crack the NHL on a permanent basis after five seasons in pro hockey.

Do the Jets bring back Brossoit as a RFA or is there another plan?

With regards to Comrie and Mikael Berdin with the Moose hoth have one more year remaining on their contracts.

The goalie that seems intriguing is Arvid Holm, who had a great year for second-place Farjestads and is signed through the end of next season: looking to come over the following year.

Neither of the college goalies have done much to this point though both should have a better opportunity as sophomores.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
For whatever reason it seems like Laurent Brossoit for whatever reason has had good season/bad season (admittedly in a small sample size) to this point at the NHL level and Eric Comrie continues to try and crack the NHL on a permanent basis after five seasons in pro hockey.

Do the Jets bring back Brossoit as a RFA or is there another plan?

With regards to Comrie and Mikael Berdin with the Moose hoth have one more year remaining on their contracts.

The goalie that seems intriguing is Arvid Holm, who had a great year for second-place Farjestads and is signed through the end of next season: looking to come over the following year.

Neither of the college goalies have done much to this point though both should have a better opportunity as sophomores.

No idea what the Jets are planning for a backup next year.

I don't agree that Brossoit went good year, bad year in the last 2 seasons. He went great year, good year. His sv% was low last year but that stat is not particularly meaningful in a 19 game sample. Bad as the Jets were in front of Hellebuyck, they were much worse in front of Brossoit.

Bringing him back next year may depend on his contract expectations. He was outstanding in his first year with the Jets and was given a big raise as a result. After a less successful season this year, he should expect a cut in pay. Assuming he will accept that cut, I would bring him back. But Jets may look for an even cheaper solution. I just hope that is not Comrie. I've lost all faith in his potential as an NHL goalie.

In addition to Arvid Holm, Jared Moe had a pretty good rookie NCAA season. Both are a fair way off though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam da bomb

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
I would love to see the Birdman take up the 2 spot. His antics alone is worth the price of admission.
upload_2020-6-7_12-14-7.gif

ajenGjI.gif

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Seeing as we won't have any cap problems next season:

My guess is Broissoit is re-signed for a slight overpayment like for 1.5-2.2, walks in UFA the following year and the plan is to have Berdin step in for cheaper depth and a higher ceiling to continue his development.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seeing as we won't have any cap problems next season:

My guess is Broissoit is re-signed for a slight overpayment like for 1.5-2.2, walks in UFA the following year and the plan is to have Berdin step in for cheaper depth and a higher ceiling to continue his development.

We will have cap problems if we pay Brossoit that much. Why would anybody give him a raise, much less a big one like that?

I was on his side all season, but he didn't earn 1.2 mil, much less a raise. He should sign for no more than 1 mil. I doubt any other team will offer him that much.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
We will have cap problems if we pay Brossoit that much. Why would anybody give him a raise, much less a big one like that?

I was on his side all season, but he didn't earn 1.2 mil, much less a raise. He should sign for no more than 1 mil. I doubt any other team will offer him that much.

I guarantee you Broissoit will not sign for less than 1 million dollars.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yes - but I don't think he is quite ready for the NHL yet. No rush.
He wouldn't play much behind Helly but i saw him a couple of times this season and thought he looked pretty good, better than Comrie anyway. But the Jets might go one more year with a veteran back-up like you say.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
If Brossoit wants money in the $2M range, there is no other option than to let him walk. A goalie making $2M+ is a goalie that either has recently lost his starting position with a team, or is expected to be in close to a tandem role. Brossoit is clearly not going to be anything more than a backup. With his numbers this year, I'd be stunned if he walks and signs for anyone else for much more than $1M, especially with the uncertainty around the cap right now.

As for the future, I don't think Comrie is in the Jets' plans long term. If Berdin performs better next season there's a chance the Jets go with him in 21-22, but as of right now we'll be looking for a safer bet that year. I like the guy, but his numbers this year in the A were far from impressive. Their D situation was obviously rough, but he's not battling for an NHL position with those numbers regardless.

Holm had a fine season, but I think it'll take at least one more even better season before the Jets even consider bringing him over for a look in the NHL.

I'm not particularly worried because the position is such a crap shoot, and we have one of the younger starters in the league, who also happens to be one of the better goalies in the league. Keep drafting one per year or two every three years, and look abroad at undrafted goalies who seem to be on an upward trend. We're likely not looking to bringing in anyone to challenge Hellebuyck for another 5 seasons or so, depending on how well he ages.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I guarantee you Broissoit will not sign for less than 1 million dollars.

Who do you think is going to want to pay him more than a mil coming off a .895 season? There are about 20 UFA's who made 775k or less last year. That is a pretty common salary level for backups.

There are plenty of others getting < Brossoit's 1.2 mil. This season's performance did not earn him any raise. Not a nickel. I want him back because I believe he was better than his numbers, but his contract will be dictated by those numbers, not my belief in him.

I think that if Chevy offers him 1 mil, it will easily be the best offer he gets. If someone else offers him more we should go to the FA market for less.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He wouldn't play much behind Helly but i saw him a couple of times this season and thought he looked pretty good, better than Comrie anyway. But the Jets might go one more year with a veteran back-up like you say.

He was great early in the season, but he faded as the season wore on and Comrie took back the starter's job. At the very least, I want to see him take that job back in the AHL. That means at least 1 year.

I would pay extra to see him in the NHL when he is ready. He could make them start tracking scoring stats for goalies. :laugh:

Reactions: surixon and Jets 31

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Next year (20-21) should be Berdins year to really run the AHL with the expectation he comes up to the NHL backup roll for the 21-22 season.

In the meantime I think Brossoit or an equivalent FA is the answer for our backup next season.

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg
Id re-sign Brossoit. 1yr 1.1m Hes a great backup for Helle. They are friends, use the same guy to train with in the offseason and seem like they push each other. Hes cheap and can steal a couple games when hes on. Nice not to have a rotating door for the backup for a couple years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Berdin needs atleast another year as a starter. As he found out its hard to maintain a high level of performance as a starting goalie in AHL this past year.

Holm looks like an option to bring over in another year.

Other then that we have Comrie who has proven himself to be a pretty consistent quality AHL starting goalie the last three years but hasn't looked very good in the NHL. Granted he only has a small handful of games.

I think theborg needs to take another goalie this draft as imonit doesn't look like we have a potential high end starter in the system.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Berdin needs atleast another year as a starter. As he found out its hard to maintain a high level of performance as a starting goalie in AHL this past year.

Holm looks like an option to bring over in another year.

Other then that we have Comrie who has proven himself to be a pretty consistent quality AHL starting goalie the last three years but hasn't looked very good in the NHL. Granted he only has a small handful of games.

I think theborg needs to take another goalie this draft as imonit doesn't look like we have a potential high end starter in the system.
Berdin isn’t high potential?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Berdin needs another year in the AHL. He was up and down. He had a stretch were he was a rock and then kind of dipped after that
Holm should probably be brought over next year. He was really good in the Swedish league on a team that wasn't the best defensively
Jared Moe had a solid first season in the NCAA and he might be the starter next year
Logan Neaton will be a starter next year and we should be able to tell what we have there

From a prospect point of view we seem to be fairly set all the goalies we have in the system seem to be coachable and on an upwards trajectory.

I think they try to sign Brossoit but to no more then a 1 year deal

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Berdin isn’t high potential?
I certainly wouldn't say so. I'd say the top 5 goalie prospects outside the NHL at any given time are the high potential goalies simply because lack of spots. Those are the goalies who somewhat (though not entirely) reliably become NHL players. Not even starters, just players. Compare Hellebuyck's accomplishments between being drafted and making the NHL:

To Berdin:

2017-2018
And keep in mind that while a high potential goalie, Hellebuyck wasn't considered the top goalie prospect outside the NHL for more than a year or so before he made it. Now Hellebuyck was arguably a top-end potential goalie, rather than just a high potential. Maybe Demko would be more of a high potential goalie, as opposed to a top-end one, but here are his accomplishments between getting drafted an making it to the NHL:

I like Berdin. I think he's a fun goalie to watch, though I have reservations about his playing style and how it would translate to the NHL. To me, his making it to the NHL in any role would be a positive surprise, and in a starting role for an extended time would be bordering on shocking.

Reactions: surixon

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I don't see a cap crunch really for next season and then we'll lose someone to expansion so I'm hoping we target the best backup goalie in Anton Khudobin. Dallas won't be able to retain him due to their cap crunch and we're in a position where we can afford the luxury of an expensive backup, in case something happens to Helle, so the season won't be lost.

Sign him to a 2 year deal so we can expose him in the expansion draft in case we lose Comrie to waivers again this year.

Here's my ideal lineup for next year:

upload_2020-6-8_11-4-5.png

Assuming a flat cap we'd still have $1.5M to toss at Beaulieu in case Samberg needs more time. I probably would do that also but for backup tendy we can splurge if we want to. I won't be upset if we bring Bro back because he and Helle get along well, but my ideal scenario would be having arguably the best tandom in the league to buy some time until Berdin is ready.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Hellys numbers are insane from junior to college to the AHL. Hard to compare anyone with him
Yeah, I added that caveat halfway through writing the post. I'd say Demko is more akin to a high potential goaltender. He was always considered likely to make the NHL, but in what capacity remains to be seen. As of right now, Berdin really hasn't shown to be a better goaltender in the AHL than Comrie has been, and thus, IMO, remains a good goaltending prospect at best. Most teams in the league has a goaltending prospect of Berdin's caliber or better.

I guess it depends on where we set the bar for what's a high potential goaltender. IMO, it's a goaltender prospect that, at most, 5 or so teams in the league can compete with.

Funnily enough, that was Hellebuyck until he made the NHL. Of course, that was mostly because the 2011 and 2012 (more so) drafts were somewhat nuts when it came to goaltenders.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The guy I am intrigued with is Jared Moe. Rick St.Croix spoke very highly of him a year ago at a goalie camp my step son was at and the last player he really like was Helly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad