Speculation: Goalie situation beyond Connor

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The guy I am intrigued with is Jared Moe. Rick St.Croix spoke very highly of him a year ago at a goalie camp my step son was at and the last player he really like was Helly

Forgot about Moe. He had a pretty solid season in the NCAA this past year.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
If Brossoit wants money in the $2M range, there is no other option than to let him walk. A goalie making $2M+ is a goalie that either has recently lost his starting position with a team, or is expected to be in close to a tandem role. Brossoit is clearly not going to be anything more than a backup. With his numbers this year, I'd be stunned if he walks and signs for anyone else for much more than $1M, especially with the uncertainty around the cap right now.

As for the future, I don't think Comrie is in the Jets' plans long term. If Berdin performs better next season there's a chance the Jets go with him in 21-22, but as of right now we'll be looking for a safer bet that year. I like the guy, but his numbers this year in the A were far from impressive. Their D situation was obviously rough, but he's not battling for an NHL position with those numbers regardless.

Holm had a fine season, but I think it'll take at least one more even better season before the Jets even consider bringing him over for a look in the NHL.

I'm not particularly worried because the position is such a crap shoot, and we have one of the younger starters in the league, who also happens to be one of the better goalies in the league. Keep drafting one per year or two every three years, and look abroad at undrafted goalies who seem to be on an upward trend. We're likely not looking to bringing in anyone to challenge Hellebuyck for another 5 seasons or so, depending on how well he ages.

He IS in the long term plans - a qualified goalie they can expose to the Seattle expansion draft :)

Reactions: Romang67

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Brossoit has faced 1,853 NHL shots and has put up a career .906. He's 27 years old. He's probably just an average NHL backup. I'd always be looking to improve the backup goalie...he sure isn't due for a raise.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
I don't see a cap crunch really for next season and then we'll lose someone to expansion so I'm hoping we target the best backup goalie in Anton Khudobin. Dallas won't be able to retain him due to their cap crunch and we're in a position where we can afford the luxury of an expensive backup, in case something happens to Helle, so the season won't be lost.

Sign him to a 2 year deal so we can expose him in the expansion draft in case we lose Comrie to waivers again this year.

Here's my ideal lineup for next year:

View attachment 349233

Assuming a flat cap we'd still have $1.5M to toss at Beaulieu in case Samberg needs more time. I probably would do that also but for backup tendy we can splurge if we want to. I won't be upset if we bring Bro back because he and Helle get along well, but my ideal scenario would be having arguably the best tandom in the league to buy some time until Berdin is ready.

OMG!!! I've always thought that Helle looks like Satan in his official photo (that beard! that stare! those brows!) so it makes total sense that there's alot of 6's in his salary! ;)

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Um, because I'm too lazy to look it up, could you please post here? Thanks!
2011-12
6.png
Odessa Jackalopes
NAHL532.49.930 |Playoffs43.46.934
2012-13
6.png
UMass-Lowell
NCAA241.37.95200000|
2013-14
6.png
UMass-Lowell
NCAA291.78.94100000|
31.png
USA
WC0-- |
2014-15
3.png
St. John's IceCaps
AHL582.58.921000000|
31.png
USA
WC81.37.9480000|
2015-16
3.png
Winnipeg Jets
NHL262.34.918000000|
3.png
Manitoba Moose
AHL302.49.922000000|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

In order:

His NAHL season the only goalies with higher sv% than Connor played 19 and 33 games less than he did.

His first NCAA season is 2nd ever in terms of sv%. He wasn't even meant to be the starter, but was the de facto starter in his rookie year starting in November, IIRC.

His second NCAA season he finished his NCAA career as the all-time leader for NCAA career sv%, which led to his winning the inaugural Richter award (best goalie) in the NCAA. He was then invited to the WC, but didn't play any games that year.

His first year in the AHL, the original plan was to have him share starts with experienced NHL goalie Budaj. Again in November he became the de facto starter and played something insane like 50 out of the next 53 games. His sv% faltered a bit toward the end of the season, likely because of fatigue, and possibly partly because despite Hellebuyck playing out of his mind, the team still missed the playoffs. The IceCaps were BAD that year. He was then invited to the WC team again, and this time he was the starter and was named the top goalie of the tournament.

His last part season outside of the NHL, he had another strong half season behind an awful team. For reference, the Moose had 13 wins in the 46 games Connor didn't play for them. Then he joined the NHL and hasn't looked back. Fun fact: the best goalie in the AHL that year was Budaj, who spent that year behind a respectable team in the Ontario Reign.

There's a reason why people usually respond with either incredulity or outright dismissal when posters on these boards claim that Hellebuyck never was a top goalie prospect before he made the NHL, and that Chevy should have done better shoring up our G position. And it's not just because Hellebuyck has started his career by being a Vezina finalist now 2 out of his first 4 full season in the league.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
2011-12
6.png
Odessa Jackalopes
NAHL532.49.930|Playoffs43.46.934
2012-13
6.png
UMass-Lowell
NCAA241.37.95200000|
2013-14
6.png
UMass-Lowell
NCAA291.78.94100000|
31.png
USA
WC0--|
2014-15
3.png
St. John's IceCaps
AHL582.58.921000000|
31.png
USA
WC81.37.9480000|
2015-16
3.png
Winnipeg Jets
NHL262.34.918000000|
3.png
Manitoba Moose
AHL302.49.922000000|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
In order:

His NAHL season the only goalies with higher sv% than Connor played 19 and 33 games less than he did.

His first NCAA season is 2nd ever in terms of sv%. He wasn't even meant to be the starter, but was the de facto starter in his rookie year starting in November, IIRC.

His second NCAA season he finished his NCAA career as the all-time leader for NCAA career sv%, which led to his winning the inaugural Richter award (best goalie) in the NCAA. He was then invited to the WC, but didn't play any games that year.

His first year in the AHL, the original plan was to have him share starts with experienced NHL goalie Budaj. Again in November he became the de facto starter and played something insane like 50 out of the next 53 games. His sv% faltered a bit toward the end of the season, likely because of fatigue, and possibly partly because despite Hellebuyck playing out of his mind, the team still missed the playoffs. The IceCaps were BAD that year. He was then invited to the WC team again, and this time he was the starter and was named the top goalie of the tournament.

His last part season outside of the NHL, he had another strong half season behind an awful team. For reference, the Moose had 13 wins in the 46 games Connor didn't play for them. Then he joined the NHL and hasn't looked back. Fun fact: the best goalie in the AHL that year was Budaj, who spent that year behind a respectable team in the Ontario Reign.

There's a reason why people usually respond with either incredulity or outright dismissal when posters on these boards claim that Hellebuyck never was a top goalie prospect before he made the NHL, and that Chevy should have done better shoring up our G position. And it's not just because Hellebuyck has started his career by being a Vezina finalist now 2 out of his first 4 full season in the league.

Excellent post!

Reactions: Eyeseeing

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Just a hint of Bryzgalov new age there? Certainly brings some fun to the game again! Kind of excited to see him further develop and that he can get into a couple Jets game here and there.
Kind of hoping he can be our near future backup to Helle and maybe morph into starter if Helle gets the shakes and becomes a swiss-cheese slice ( very doubtful but...) or moves on.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Berdin needs another year in the AHL. He was up and down. He had a stretch were he was a rock and then kind of dipped after that
Holm should probably be brought over next year. He was really good in the Swedish league on a team that wasn't the best defensively
Jared Moe had a solid first season in the NCAA and he might be the starter next year
Logan Neaton will be a starter next year and we should be able to tell what we have there

From a prospect point of view we seem to be fairly set all the goalies we have in the system seem to be coachable and on an upwards trajectory.

I think they try to sign Brossoit but to no more then a 1 year deal
That would be ideal if LB realizes he has to refocus and step it up. After this past season drop-off, I doubt he is in great league-wide backup demand and he should not be expecting a raise. He is accustomed to the room and well,liked by teammate Helle and goalie coach Flat-tire-flaherty!
I personally would like to see Chevy kick tires on acquiring Linus Ullmark out of Buffalo. He is 24, decent early showings and #'s in NHL so far. Under 2$ mil previous contract and is a RFA. I read some Sabres posters a while back suggesting he is available. I saw a few showings of his in juniors in Sweden live and he was impressive. Lots of decent ability showing back then. And his numbers are on a terrible Sabres team overall with sporadic help in front of him.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Kind of hoping he can be our near future backup to Helle and maybe morph into starter if Helle gets the shakes and becomes a swiss-cheese slice ( very doubtful but...) or moves on.
But I thought someone pointed out with his career stats throughout all leagues doubt if he’s ever starter material.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
But I thought someone pointed out with his career stats throughout all leagues doubt if he’s ever starter material.
Here's Brossoit's career SV% by league:

LeagueShots-AgainstSV%
WHL35520.909
ECHL9230.926
AHL39700.913
NHL16790.906
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Statistically, nothing suggests he's every going to be a legit NHL starter.

Here's Comrie:

LeagueShots-AgainstSV%
WHL47650.916
AHL56930.911
NHL1970.868
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

His NHL sample is too small to be meaningful...but he hasn't been a world-beater in the AHL and we have a huge sample. His WHL stats were decent - not sure what league avg was when he played, but .916 is probably above it.

Reactions: teddygmr

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Holm signed today.

Does anyone know if Comrie fulfills the exposure requirement for the expansion draft? If not, the Jets will likely need to sign another backup goalie for at least two years to meet that requirement.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Holm signed today.

Does anyone know if Comrie fulfills the exposure requirement for the expansion draft? If not, the Jets will likely need to sign another backup goalie for at least two years to meet that requirement.

Comrie does fullfill the requirements. The goalie either needs to be signed for the year after next or a rfa.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Comrie does fullfill the requirements. The goalie either needs to be signed for the year after next or a rfa.

We would also have to have Give him a qualifying offer. That's on a one way ,$700000 plus contract.

I think he is not good value on this year 2020/2021 contract ..... us having to double up and qualify him would make poor financial sense.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We would also have to have Give him a qualifying offer. That's on a one way ,$700000 plus contract.

I think he is not good value on this year 2020/2021 contract ..... us having to double up and qualify him would make poor financial sense.

The expansion draft happens before qualifying offers need to be submitted.

RfA qualifying offers generally need to be tabled in between the entry draft and UFA period. The expansion draft will happen before the entry draft and as such Comrie won't have to be qualified at that time.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The expansion draft happens before qualifying offers need to be submitted.

RfA qualifying offers generally need to be tabled in between the entry draft and UFA period. The expansion draft will happen before the entry draft and as such Comrie won't have to be qualified at that time.
According to an article on NHL.com an RFA goalie doesn't fulfill the requirement unless they receive their qualifying offer prior to the expansion draft.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
According to an article on NHL.com an RFA goalie doesn't fulfill the requirement unless they receive their qualifying offer prior to the expansion draft.

Interesting, I must have missed that in the article I read. Either way 700k is easy enough to burry in the AHL if need be.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Who will back up Connor for the 2021-22 season? Brossoit is a UFA at the end of this season, as is Comrie (UFA G6). I imagine both of these two would want to sign with a team that can offer more starts. So for 21-22, does Berdin back up Comrie, then Holm and Kehler tend the Moose net? Or do the Jets re-sign Brossoit and/or Comrie as back-up to Connor? Or do the Jets sign a different UFA, or make a trade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad