Speculation: Goalie Controversy

Who do you want to be the starter for game 1 in the playoffs?

• Georgiev

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • Annunen

Votes: 71 81.6%

• Total voters

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
I don't care if Annunen hasn't faced a top-quality team.

Whatever is wrong with Georgie is beyond fixing at this point, he is shattered.

Throw Annunen in there and whatever happens, happens. What will he do that is worse than Georgie right now? Allow 8 goals?

If Annunen shows something throughout the playoffs, then next year bring in a mid-level guy that wouldn't become a headcase as the backup and let them battle, if it shows that Annunen is likely nothing more than a backup, swing for the fences to get a new high-end starter.

Trade Georgie for anything next offseason. He isn't a starter for a cup contender, and he isn't willing to be a backup.

Reactions: Bensch88

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Do you believe that Annunen could lead the Avs to a Cup? If so, why not him?

I believe both could, as a tandem, and both will. What people don't see (in my opinion), is Georgiev is one shutout away from finding form again. That's a goalies lot.

My dude…

He sucks. He has sucked all year. The only thing he’ll bring us is disappointment for wasting this season

Fair enough. I just hope he proves everyone wrong. I think he can do it. I just wish we got behind him is all.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I believe both could, as a tandem, and both will. What people don't see (in my opinion), is Georgiev is one shutout away from finding form again. That's a goalies lot.

I love your optimism, but Georgiev is beyond broken. He need an entire off-season, and maybe even a stint in the AHL to regain his confidence. He had his chance to fix his game all of March/April, it sadly over for him.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

200w.gif

Dude…pull your head out of the sand. We thought 4giev was the ceiling for his shittiness, but he straight blasted through that ceiling and rocketed past 5giev and 6giev, and showed us he can—much to our disbelief—be MUCH worse than he showed us this year.

He straight sucks.

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Being Fourgiev was enough of a joke. For the regular season he allowed almost double the amount of 4 goal games as the next man on the list. The man has now allowed 6+ goals in 3 of the last 4 starts. There is no coming back from this.

I would rather us lose the next 3 games with Annunen in net vs see us lose in 4 games with Georgiev somehow winning 1 game. He is clearly not the answer and it is time to see what we have and move on. Sucks to have to do it in the playoffs but it is what it is at this point.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I can see them starting Georgiev for game 2. A desperation move hoping it clicks for him.
I'm not saying that's right, but I can see it.
I think if Annunen is not 100% that's exactly what we'll see.

Even if Annunen is 100% I reckon the chance of George starting the game is 80%+. But he'll be on a short leash. If he implodes in the first again he'll be yanked.

But if Annunen is not ready I think there's a near-zero chance of seeing Pro step in, or whoever that rando was that backed him up last night.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
I think the problem is the team lost any remaining hope they had in Georgiev, getting 7 goals against, which could have been 10 or 12 on 25 shots !

For their mental health, Bednar should try Annunen just now !

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
Hopefully Bednar somewhat learned from the bubble Dallas series. Kept Frankie in net way to long when it was extremely evident he had no business being on the ice. Finally switches to Hutchinson and the Avs force a game 7 coming back from the 3-1 deficit.

Sometimes the team just needs the reassurance that their goalie isn't going to completely throw away a game, and it definitely feels at this point its not an if with Georgiev but a when.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I've settle on Georgiev just not being a very good goalie and not buying into the "mental breakdown" crap.
He just needs to be sligtly above average. Thats all and not to much to ask for.....

And yet he shits the bed in a way i havent seen in a long time.....

He will start Game 2 again because Anunnen wont be healthy.....And it will not end well......

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

Fair enough. I just hope he proves everyone wrong. I think he can do it. I just wish we got behind him is all.
Ok, so you agree that Annunen should get a start to show what he's made of. Should that start be the next game if he's healthy?

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I've settle on Georgiev just not being a very good goalie and not buying into the "mental breakdown" crap.
Nah, he may not be a world beater but he is clearly better than what we have witness all year, but more specifically, the last couple months. He is actively flinching and lunging at pucks instead of using basic concepts like squaring up to a shot. EVERY goal against he has a very poor reaction to. The dude is struggling bad on the mental side for sure.

Reactions: Metallo

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
Nah, he may not be a world beater but he is clearly better than what we have witness all year, but more specifically, the last couple months. He is actively flinching and lunging at pucks instead of using basic concepts like squaring up to a shot. EVERY goal against he has a very poor reaction to. The dude is struggling bad on the mental side for sure.
Nah, sorry, don't buy it. Grandma always said "proof is in the pudding". Georgiev's pudding sucks!

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Nah, sorry, don't buy it. Grandma always said "proof is in the pudding". Georgiev's pudding sucks!
It is absolutely incorrect to say his pudding has always been as rotten as the last couple months lol. He has never been as bad.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is absolutely incorrect to say his pudding has always been as rotten as the last couple months lol. He has never been as bad.
I disagree with this, his final season in New York was horrendous. He was a sub .900 goalie and was 46% quality starts. He had 12 of 33 games (28 starts where he gave up 4+) or 36% of the time. If we go just off starts, 11 of 28 or 39% of the time. This year, in 25 games he gave up 4+ goals (63 games and 62 starts and all of those games were in starts). So that 25/63 is 39%. This is who he really is. The heaters last year hid who he really was.

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
Was glad to see the reporters didn't hesitate to ask the tough questions of both Bednar, and Georgiev himself last night regarding his performance.

And I have to give him (AG) credit for even being interviewed after that game. But it was uncomfortable and painful listening to his responses. Nothing he said gave me any indication it won't be more of the same the rest of the playoffs.

Hopefully, Bednar will be willing to play whomever else as soon as they are available. I remember when Bednar used to be willing to go with whomever was playing the best at the time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad