Speculation: Goalie Controversy

Who do you want to be the starter for game 1 in the playoffs?

• Georgiev

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Annunen

Votes: 71 82.6%

• Total voters

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
There is zero goaltending controversy. Annunen hasn't even gotten a start against a good team. Even Tampa wasn't playing well when he played them. They obviously don't trust him to play against good teams just yet.

Georgiev hasn't been good enough, but there's not a controversy.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bednar knows Georgiev is their best chance at a Cup. IMO he messed up by allowing a "goalie controversy" in the first place. His priority should have been getting George in the best state mentally as possible before the playoffs.

I think he was trying to motivate Georgiev with some tough love, but he made that mistake earlier in the season too. I thought he learned from it, but he's been doing it again at the worst time.

You don't motivate a guy like Georgiev by being hard on him. We've seen that play out in NYR and here. It just leads to him putting too much pressure on himself and losing confidence. You motivate him by making him feel like you're in his corner, and believe in him, whether you do or not.

Now Bednar's dialing it back trying to be as critical of Annunen while complimenting George. Hopefully it results in George playing better and not two goalies playing poorly.

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
If Georgiev is that mentally fragile then I'd say he falls in the "wussy" category.

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
GPRecGAASV%SO
Georgiev116-3-03.34.8930
Annunen75-2-01.82.9441

That's since March 1st. If you remove Georgiev's last three horrendous starts, was actually doing well for a little bit (2.32, .918).

Annunen has had soft opponents, but his win in relief against Nashville and 44-save win against a desperate Minnesota team highlight how solid he's been. I am pretty confident Georgiev is going to start Game 1, but I think he has no leash.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Bednar knows Georgiev is their best chance at a Cup. IMO he messed up by allowing a "goalie controversy" in the first place. His priority should have been getting George in the best state mentally as possible before the playoffs.

I think he was trying to motivate Georgiev with some tough love, but he made that mistake earlier in the season too. I thought he learned from it, but he's been doing it again at the worst time.

You don't motivate a guy like Georgiev by being hard on him. We've seen that play out in NYR and here. It just leads to him putting too much pressure on himself and losing confidence. You motivate him by making him feel like you're in his corner, and believe in him, whether you do or not.

Now Bednar's dialing it back trying to be as critical of Annunen while complimenting George. Hopefully it results in George playing better and not two goalies playing poorly.
Georgie is definitely the best shot at a cup playing at his best. But I think you have to play annunen against a couple good teams just to see if he’s even capable if it. But maybe less tape on Annunen going into the playoffs is a good thing.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Georgiev has done nothing to earn the starting job this year.

He’s been a bottom-5 starter in the league.

There comes a time when it’s less about ability and more about the mental state of the goaltender. That’s where we’re at with Georgiev.

People can say all day long that he has more ability than Annunen, it’s true he does. But, Georgiev is the one that expects puck to go past him when the shot is on the way. That’s the problem.

I have more confidence in Annunen, personally. I suspect Bednar doesn’t want to make a ‘panic’ move to go to him, but I actually think the team could rally around the young guy. Clearly a very likeable player.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Bednar's lack of willigness to deploy Annunen could be his downfall. I'm not even saying that in the sense of expecting Annunen to be a saviour, but maybe that would've given Georgiev more rest and ability to unf*** himself.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I wanna hear people still defending George on net after this game, just for giggles. :laugh:

I dont care what is Annunen's sickness right now. if he can breathe unassisted, he HAS to play the rest of the series. at this stage, the bar is so low, that Big Ann would have to allow EIGHT goals average to be worse than George. holly hell :laugh:

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Be interesting what people say then.
Stay away from drugs buddy..... :D

There is no goalie controversy anymore. Its done. Georgiev might play his last games as an AV this week and MacFarlands off season just got way more entertaining and harder......

Reactions: The Moops

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Have to make your move now and send Georgiev to the stands. Pray you catch lightning in a bottle with an Annunen and Prosvetov run. That's the only way we ever have a chance of making this a long post season for us. It's a sad state of affairs but we've all seen crazier things happen in hockey. We don't have a goalie controversy, we are in goalie desperation mode.

If Annunen pulls a Hill/Binnington type run in him, I'll be the 1st dude in line getting his jersey. Hell raise his banner too if that happens.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad