Speculation: Goalie Controversy

Who do you want to be the starter for game 1 in the playoffs?

• Georgiev

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Annunen

Votes: 71 82.6%

• Total voters

JustPenalties

Jan 17, 2024
Most of us wants Annunen to start but we all know that probably Georgiev is going to start anyway. :D Well thats how it goes in the NHL, lot of times for a young goalie it is not enough to be better than the old starter.. you need to be amazing in order to take the starter place. It is what it is.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I have to think that this game was Bednar giving Georgiev one last chance to show that he deserves to be the starter. That game wasn't as bad as the last one, but it wasn't good. If he makes literally one more save, we may have won that game. It's long past time to see if Annunen is ready.

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
You can make arguments about it not being all on him etc.. and it could be valid but at some point you need the big save when it matters (when the game is 5-4 late in the 3rd) and they just haven't got that at all this year with George. In fact it seems to be the opposite where he folds under pressure

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I have to think that this game was Bednar giving Georgiev one last chance to show that he deserves to be the starter. That game wasn't as bad as the last one, but it wasn't good. If he makes literally one more save, we may have won that game. It's long past time to see if Annunen is ready.
When the team came back to make it a 5-4 game you absolutely cannot give up athat 6th goal and what does this pendejo do? Gives it up like Meek Mill at a Diddy party.

Last edited:

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
MacFarland had a hell of a TDL....

But he really failed to not bring in another goalie to the mix.... This could be the our downfall this year......

Anyway, i would say bringing in a long-term solution in our net is top-priority this off-season if we wont win the cup this year again. And even if we somehow pull it off, i think there is allready a rift between the players and Georgiev.......

[mod]

What sort of evidence do you have that the players are turning on Georgiev?

Also, you sound as if #1 goalies who can jump in seamlessly to a playoff contender grow on trees. Who do you suggest we should have acquired? What assets do we trade? How would we fit a legit goalie under the cap? Let’s hear it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Also, you sound as if #1 goalies who can jump in seamlessly to a playoff contender grow on trees. Who do you suggest we should have acquired? What assets do we trade? How would we fit a legit goalie under the cap? Let’s hear it.
I agree with ya on all accounts.....I wanted MAF and right before the deadline I thought he would have been perfect for us, but a) he pulled himself off the deadline b) Annunen clearly was tested before the deadline to see if they needed to acquire someone - and he went out and won the job and c) now looking back at things, Annunen is probably not too far off from what MAF would have provided us anyways......Annunen's development honestly probably saved us a 2nd/3rd rounder this year....and you're right - there just wasnt much better out there available.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
MacFarland had a hell of a TDL....

But he really failed to not bring in another goalie to the mix.... This could be the our downfall this year......

Anyway, i would say bringing in a long-term solution in our net is top-priority this off-season if we wont win the cup this year again. And even if we somehow pull it off, i think there is allready a rift between the players and Georgiev.......
Honestly...what goalers are/were there? Fleury isn't better than this version of Georgiev, Allen is an extremely slight upgrade at maximum with a good chance that he's worse (depending on who you talk to), and who else got moved that was relevant? Markstrom didn't move, Ullmark didn't move, Saros didn't move, etc. Blame Avs and MacFarland if there were goalers who were big names that moved, but Kahkonen ain't that. He's got worse problems than Annunen's side-to-side movement...

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016

I am sure You know the meaning of the words "i think"..., Maybe i should have written "my personal take"... My bad. :pout:

No No. 1 goalie, but a capable backup just in chase.

But your are right.

I would have went for a Number 1 long time ago. But thats another story.
Georgiev is a good goalie (and no, the loss against Dallas is more on our Defense playing like a kindergarden), but he is not an undisputed No 1. And thats just my opinion. Thats the story of the whole season so far (look at his stats).

MacFarland was in on another goalie, btw. He said it himself at the TDL-presser. He didnt like the prices. Thats it.

Georgiev and Anunnen are our guys now. I really hope the later one can hold the fort because i dont think (yes, again my personal take!) that Georgie gets his mojo back. I will be happy if he proves me wrong.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Just because goalies don’t move, doesn’t mean deals can’t be made. It’s the same argument as the 2C spot, if you want a goalie bad enough, they can be had.

George hasn’t been good enough full stop. Throw any excuse you want out there from pay, to workload, to being a shitheel… doesn’t matter with these results. He has to be better.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Living up to his namesake

This is the stat that gets me, this is plain awful. I'd love to see the numbers at 3+ are we talking 60%, 70% 80% or more?

But I guess according to most posters there is nothing he can do and it's the defenses fault or just perfect shots by the other team. Even though our defensive metrics are are perfectly fine.

I don't think there has been a goaltending performance for this team this bad over the course of an entire year since they came to Denver. I'm not talking guys who got spot starts, I'm talking guys who got like minimum 25-30 starts. I'm just doubting it.

The sheer fact that Bednar refuses to try anything else is baffling. I get it's close to playoffs, but you can't go into them with a guy the team doesn't trust and can't keep anyone under 4 goals. The only games we've been winning lately are Annunen starts or fill in games after George shits the bed.

Last edited:
Reactions: katfude

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I looked it up there are only 3 instances of Avs starters playing around the level of George this year.

05-06 Aebischer and Budaj both were bad
08-09 Budaj and Raycroft both were bad
10-11 Budaj and Anderson both were bad

You can throw in 95-96 Fiset was bad, but they went and got Roy to fix the problem.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This is the stat that gets me, this is plain awful. I'd love to see the numbers at 3+ are we talking 60%, 70% 80% or more?

But I guess according to most posters there is nothing he can do and it's the defenses fault or just perfect shots by the other team. Even though our defensive metrics are are perfectly fine.

I don't think there has been a goaltending performance for this team this bad over the course of an entire year since they came to Denver. I'm not talking guys who got spot starts, I'm talking guys who got like minimum 25-30 starts. I'm just doubting it.

The sheer fact that Bednar refuses to try anything else is baffling. I get it's close to playoffs, but you can't go into them with a guy the team doesn't trust and can't keep anyone under 4 goals. The only games we've been winning lately are Annunen starts or fill in games after George shits the bed.
For the season, I think it is is just short of 40% for 4+ goals... (37 and change) 3+ adds another ~20%. So ~57ish% of the time the Avs have to score 4+ to win.

What gets me more is George's form. There has been chatter that he's been better or had a stretch of good games. Since Jan 1 (3+ goals given up), this number increases to over 62% (the 40% holds true in 2024). Back to 58% since Feb 1 for 3+ (42% for 4+). 55% since March 1 (45% for 4+). He may have a game or three where things look good for a bit, but this regression happens. It is simply very hard to win when you have to score 5+ to win games 40+% of the time and 55+% of the time for 4+. The Avs have outscored their issues admirably, it just isn't a formula that tends to be sustainable.

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
Just because goalies don’t move, doesn’t mean deals can’t be made. It’s the same argument as the 2C spot, if you want a goalie bad enough, they can be had.

George hasn’t been good enough full stop. Throw any excuse you want out there from pay, to workload, to being a shitheel… doesn’t matter with these results. He has to be better.
someone who's low; mean; dishonest
He's a real shitheel; as in he's so low that he's like the heel of a shoe dragging in dog shit.

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
This is just a rediculous take.

Should have traded Mikko for Saros :sarcasm:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
For the season, I think it is is just short of 40% for 4+ goals... (37 and change) 3+ adds another ~20%. So ~57ish% of the time the Avs have to score 4+ to win.

What gets me more is George's form. There has been chatter that he's been better or had a stretch of good games. Since Jan 1 (3+ goals given up), this number increases to over 62% (the 40% holds true in 2024). Back to 58% since Feb 1 for 3+ (42% for 4+). 55% since March 1 (45% for 4+). He may have a game or three where things look good for a bit, but this regression happens. It is simply very hard to win when you have to score 5+ to win games 40+% of the time and 55+% of the time for 4+. The Avs have outscored their issues admirably, it just isn't a formula that tends to be sustainable.
Ugh, that's some bad goaltending. 60% of our games would require at minimum 4 goals to win. That's awful.

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Seems like someone on Reddit is aware of our problem. And no, this isn't me posting it.
Capture.JPG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad