Post-Game Talk: [GM10] Canucks defeated Sharks | 10-1 (Everyone) | Avoided the Trap

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I feel like this kind of shows the opposite of the power of a strong start. Despite the strong start it’s only a 3 point standings boost. Still a lot of work to be done
That is what I took away from it as well. It’s like good job, you could lose one more game that you would have had to and still make the playoffs (probably).

Feb 20, 2013
Agreed the team mailed it in with 10 minutes to go and it was disappointing not to see Demko earn the shutout, but I think the right call was made not to challenge for the simple reason that the contact looked light enough that they wouldn't have overturned the call on the ice. There are situations where you roll the dice and challenge that play, but this wasn't one of them. Had it been a clear as day offside... Ok sure challenge it.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I think it's perfectly reasonable for Demko to want to have a shutout in his home state in front of his family.

The skaters got to pad his stats, why not him?

I don't think this is a big deal at all, but for the purposes of the discussion, I do think the team let him down.

I think if Tocchet heard from upstairs that the Canucks had a legit claim at challenging, he would have done it.

If he says postgame that he chose not to do it because of mercy, then I disagree with that decision.

My guess is he didn't bother because there was virtually no way the refs were going to overturn a goal in a 10-1 game. Hell, it may have even annoyed them enough to cause problems in another game.

At the same time, the guys should have put in a better effort to make sure that shutout stayed intact. I doubt Demko cares all that much though.

And with the cap significantly increasing it wont affect us at all.

Now if Pettersson can do us a solid and not demand 13M+, that'd be great. :laugh:

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
The worst part about these games is that there isn't anything you can take away from it. Everybody looked amazing. Obviously.

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
that was a paddling

90ZW.gif

Reactions: MS and krutovsdonut

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Guys, I hate to do this, but this team is really starting to remind me of the Canucks when Gillis took over the team and a familiar sequence of events

- Team changes captains
- GM makes a shrewd move to bring in a top pairing dman (Ehrhoff / Hronek)
- Team changes direction on how they play, Gillis forced Vigneault to be more offensive, Tocchet has changed the team into a high pressure team to create turnovers.
- PP has becomes a backbone of the offense... the Sedins having a huge impact so far as assistants.
- Many felt at the time when Gillis took over it was time to rebuild (Naslund was on his way out, Bertuzzi, etc.... )... but GM turned things around quickly, see above.
- Team brings in new 3rd line Centres that have a nice impact.

I love the way this team is playing. Their high pressure style of game where they are immediately on the other team to get the puck and force turnovers is fun to watch.

Your comparison is more apt, but the vibe I get is the 91-92 Canucks - that season and the next they were strong, then in 93-94 they coasted, went down 3-1 to CGY in the first round, and then went all the way to game 7 of the Cup final.

And then imploded the next few seasons.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
hughes putting up a quiet 5 points is simply magic

this game was meaningless but that's something we just haven't seen since the sedins. a nonchalant massacre.

Reactions: bh53

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Even though the Sharks are obviously moribund right now, an interesting moment in the game was when the Canucks were up 5-0 and the Sharks were just YOLO hard forechecking with like 3 man up, desperately trying to force a turnover along the boards. But Hughes and Hronek manage to blow off the pressure despite the puck hounding with good skill and awareness, then easily send the puck up the ice for an odd-man rush that nearly resulted in a goal.

I thought that snapshot summed up the game; the team kept its cool despite the huge lead and desperation from the Sharks to get anything back, and the result was that they had so much ice to work with they might as well have been playing in an European-sized rink. It really was a much superior team steamrolling through with little trouble, instead of a better team being sloppy in an "easy" game then having to outskill to secure the win (or maybe actually losing).

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I find it interesting that Tocchet really likes Suter. He gets a lot of ice time even when not scoring. 4th highest total TOI among forwards. #1 in forward TOI today by over 2 minutes and 2nd highest on the team.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Looking forward to a real game against Vegas, Colorado, or Dallas - Saturday will be a much better test.

That said. When is the last time the Canucks put up double digits? I honestly can't remember. I was at an 8-1 shellacking of Anaheim as a kid... 20+ years ago, I think. Can't remember 10 within living memory.

Edit: Went and looked it up. 1992. In an 11-0 win vs the Flames.

31 years, damn.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I find it interesting that Tocchet really likes Suter. He gets a lot of ice time even when not scoring. 4th highest total TOI among forwards. #1 in forward TOI today by over 2 minutes and 2nd highest on the team.
Tocchet likes the players who don’t hurt you on either side of the puck. Even if Suter isn’t scoring, I can see why he likes Suter. Good stick in lanes. Also can see why he likes PDG and Lafferty. He’ll like Blueger too.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Tocchet likes the players who don’t hurt you on either side of the puck. Even if Suter isn’t scoring, I can see why he likes Suter. Good stick in lanes. Also can see why he likes PDG and Lafferty. He’ll like Blueger too.

I get it too. He does a lot of good defensive things. I should stop being surprised that he’s usually top-3 in forward ice time nearly every game. Hopefully he can start contributing offensively.

Reactions: wonton15

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
i’m reserving a lot of my judgement on Suter until Blueger gets back and his role gets a little bit more defined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad