Post-Game Talk: [GM10] Canucks defeated Sharks | 10-1 (Everyone) | Avoided the Trap

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Pretty sure Demko is more concerned with getting the W and getting the game over with at that point. Demmer got the dub and played a great game. He knows that, the team knows that. Take the points and move on at that point.
Yup. I guarantee that in the room there is some variation of the stereotypical "It's all about the team, not individuals" talk happening. If Tocchet is preaching that the only thing that matters is wins - calling a challenge when you're up 10-0 to get your goalie a stat absolutely goes counter to that.

edit: Watching Tocchet's post-game, looks like I was bang on. Team game, doesn't care about individual stats.

Last edited:

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Guys, I hate to do this, but this team is really starting to remind me of the Canucks when Gillis took over the team and a familiar sequence of events

- Team changes captains
- GM makes a shrewd move to bring in a top pairing dman (Ehrhoff / Hronek)
- Team changes direction on how they play, Gillis forced Vigneault to be more offensive, Tocchet has changed the team into a high pressure team to create turnovers.
- PP has becomes a backbone of the offense... the Sedins having a huge impact so far as assistants.
- Many felt at the time when Gillis took over it was time to rebuild (Naslund was on his way out, Bertuzzi, etc.... )... but GM turned things around quickly, see above.
- Team brings in new 3rd line Centres that have a nice impact.

I love the way this team is playing. Their high pressure style of game where they are immediately on the other team to get the puck and force turnovers is fun to watch.

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
Anyone who agrees with not challenging does not get the game

Your loyalty is to your goalie, not the other team. Its about sticking together as a team

If its the 2nd goal of a 10-2 game then yes who cares but this was for Demko’s shutout in front of his family

No.

You don't challenge something that has zero effect on the outcome. There's no point to it. It's like a football coach challenging a pass interference call on the last drive of the game when they're up by 5 touchdowns. That's garbage time. 4th stringers are on the field. The game is a writeoff. It doesn't matter.

There is nothing to gain from challenging an official's call this late in a decisive game. It would make Tocchet look petty and arrogant. Learn to pick your battles. The Hockey Gods despise hubris, and a late challenge would definitely come back to bite them.

Maybe some bookies don't like it but who cares about them.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Lol. Demko wants a good win, not this embarrassing gong show. This was basically an NHL team vs an AHL team or grown men vs pre-pubescent boys. I don't think Demko gives a shit about a shutout.

I do wonder if guys like Hertl will want out though. Shocking how bad SJ is.
Nobody will want Hertl, not at that age and dollar and performance

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I don't care. Goalies have been the backbone of this team... Luongo, Schneider, Marky, now Demko. And the team just consistently robs them of shutouts. Even in the salad days around 2011. Marky literally got more shutouts in one season than he had his entire career in Vancouver. It's just infuriating.

This is true. For whatever reason Demko doesn't seem to care that much or be that concerned about shutouts, but like you I would like to see more. This was a weird, cringe game though and I think they need to really focus on the next few games moving forward.

Reactions: mossey3535

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Guys, I hate to do this, but this team is really starting to remind me of the Canucks when Gillis took over the team and a familiar sequence of events

- Team changes captains
- GM makes a shrewd move to bring in a top pairing dman (Ehrhoff / Hronek)
- Team changes direction on how they play, Gillis forced Vigneault to be more offensive, Tocchet has changed the team into a high pressure team to create turnovers.
- PP has becomes a backbone of the offense... the Sedins having a huge impact so far as assistants.
- Many felt at the time when Gillis took over it was time to rebuild (Naslund was on his way out, Bertuzzi, etc.... )... but GM turned things around quickly, see above.
- Team brings in new 3rd line Centres that have a nice impact.

I love the way this team is playing. Their high pressure style of game where they are immediately on the other team to get the puck and force turnovers is fun to watch.
I’m trying to reel it in a bit but it feels good to read stuff like this and watch this team on fire. It’s finally fun.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
So difficult...

Boeser (2), Miller, Hughes, Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, Lafferty, Suter, & Beauvillier(2).

Hughes - 1-4-5
Boeser - 2-1-3
Miller - 1-2-3
Pettersson - 0-3-3
Beauvillier - 2-0-2
Kuzmenko - 1-1-2
Lafferty- - 1-1-2
Soucy - 0-2-2
Hronek - 0-2-2
Mikheyev - 1-0-1
Suter - 1-0-1
Mikheyev - 1-0-1
Garland - 0 -1-1
Friedman- 0-1-1
Would like to remind everyone I called two goals for Boeser before the game!

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Winning kills stories.

Always been this way. No one has remembered the Garland thing for example outside of me when I think about Tanev in my sleep.

Nice to keep winning. Building an early season cushion while healthy is huge. And Tocchet clearly isn’t letting complacency set in.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Winning kills stories.

Always been this way. No one has remembered the Garland thing for example outside of me when I think about Tanev in my sleep.

Nice to keep winning. Building an early season cushion while healthy is huge. And Tocchet clearly isn’t letting complacency set in.

There's a great quote by Joe Sakic "Winning does solve everything".

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
This is true. For whatever reason Demko doesn't seem to care that much or be that concerned about shutouts, but like you I would like to see more. This was a weird, cringe game though and I think they need to really focus on the next few games moving forward.
The team knows, I remember Schneider was on in the old 1040 days and made a sarcastic remark about how he and Lu should have had a lot more shutouts.

I guarantee you Demko cares about shutouts, every goalie does. It's just that he's a good enough sport about it that he laughs it off.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
holy crap it’s been bugging the hell out of me what adam foote skulking to the side of tocchet on the bench reminds me of

but if finally hit me

1698989770369.png

damn refs, always giving us the high hat

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
it’s time for another Legendary LemonSauceD’s Canucks quietly have one of the deepest forward groups in the league thread in the main boards Part 3 :D:D:D

btw my original thread was satire lol

Reactions: bh53 and mossey3535

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
The team knows, I remember Schneider was on in the old 1040 days and made a sarcastic remark about how he and Lu should have had a lot more shutouts.

I guarantee you Demko cares about shutouts, every goalie does. It's just that he's a good enough sport about it that he laughs it off.

Fair enough, and I've read enough of your posts to defer to you when it comes to goalie stuff. I do think it would be somewhat petty at the end of a 10 - 0 beatdown to challenge that however - hopefully Demko gets some more shutouts soon.

Reactions: mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad