News Article: GM Steve Staios looking for veteran help to assist the Senators' young core

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
No youre not. But he did play in the league for 15 years and has been in hockey ops for another 12. He's forgot more than you know about hockey thankfully. You defended Dorion for years. Tells us all we need to know about your hockey acumen.

Also it takes more than 10 games to fix the way this team has been coached for 5 years. But anyone that knows hockey actually understands this. Thanks for showing us your true colors on

Spin spin spin…..Just because some of us don’t jump on board your Hate everything EM or PD did, and could actually see both sides of an issue, and would call ball and strikes…doesn’t make us a “defender” of EM or PD or whomever you guys on the Hate mobile are targeting.

I disagreed with much of what PD did, and agreed with some of his decisions…. I could see the rational he used, and understood the constraints he was under at different times in his role as GM.
But I don’t expect you haters to understand, as it’s hate all the time and anyone who doesn’t go along, to get along… well they must be supporters of the GM, or whatever.

The rookie GM is going to make his mistakes, and I will call him out on them, and agree with the moves he make that seem logical to me…..I agreed with bringing in JM as a consultant….and am very sceptical about him being named interim Head Coach… and it’s beginning to look like a different choice could have been made, as JM does not seem to have made any improvements, on the ice, and perhaps things are getting worse….10 games in and the wins are few and far between, the time to bring in a new, younger Head coach should be moved up from the offseason, to asap imo.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Both of them would be difficult to move without a sweetener or taking on a bad contract I feel.
Probably guys like Greig or Kleven or high draft picks will have to be sacrified
No other team will give us good 8MM$ players for our weak 8MM$ players
It will come to it like it or not

That's the extend Dorion has damaged this team
Will take years to overcome

Like I said in another post maybe try an hail marry a la FLO Panthers 2vs1 but nothing guaranteed it would succeed like it did for them

Reactions: Senovision

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Spin spin spin…..Just because some of us don’t jump on board your Hate everything EM or PD did, and could actually see both sides of an issue, and would call ball and strikes…doesn’t make us a “defender” of EM or PD or whomever you guys on the Hate mobile are targeting.

I disagreed with much of what PD did, and agreed with some of his decisions…. I could see the rational he used, and understood the constraints he was under at different times in his role as GM.
But I don’t expect you haters to understand, as it’s hate all the time and anyone who doesn’t go along, to get along… well they must be supporters of the GM, or whatever.

The rookie GM is going to make his mistakes, and I will call him out on them, and agree with the moves he make that seem logical to me…..I agreed with bringing in JM as a consultant….and am very sceptical about him being named interim Head Coach… and it’s beginning to look like a different choice could have been made, as JM does not seem to have made any improvements, on the ice, and perhaps things are getting worse….10 games in and the wins are few and far between, the time to bring in a new, younger Head coach should be moved up from the offseason, to asap imo.
The proof is here maybe you should have actually paid attention instead of being a contrarian. There is no'mobile targeting. It was obvious Dorion was never the man for the job and I knew people in the organization that had to work under melnyk. You defended it, they botched a 7 year rebuild. We have the results, perhaps some humility and admitting you were wrong.

So you think they should have carried on with DJ? Or are you doubling down on not understanding it takes longer than 10 games to break 5 years of habits.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Don’t see the need to rush the “Bring in veteran help” unless it‘s to free up Cap space to be able to add Pinto to the line up…. But the season has been successfully flushed down the tubes, and perhaps the off season is the time to acquire “veteran help”… making trades now, in a desperation mode is not the route the Senators should go…. But I’m NOT a rookie GM, with zero experience at the NHL level, and still searching for a permanent full time Head Coach…. As it seems clear now that the interim coach is not any better than the fired coach….. this should be the front burner issue.
View attachment 800149
So, you would have kept DJ around to the end of the season (or beyond perhaps) - is that what you are saying?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Last edited:

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I would trade Norris, Batherson, Chychrun, Brannstrom, Kubalik. Start with that. Find a top 4 rd and ld good defensively

Senovision

May 23, 2011
In hindsight we should have made a couple of big trades in late October when we had a 3 game losing skid October 21 to October 26. There were other teams that were having skids that might have been trading partners. Now that we look completely lost the vultures will be coming around because we will trading from a huge position of weakness and our players weaknesses are really being exposed. I think we would have got a lot more for our players in late October and we might have had a chance to change the player culture at that point of the season and maybe we could have changed the whole season. We all knew what our needs were so Staios and company would have known as well.....but they sat back and waited and waited....

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The proof is here maybe you should have actually paid attention instead of being a contrarian. There is no'mobile targeting. It was obvious Dorion was never the man for the job and I knew people in the organization that had to work under melnyk. You defended it, they botched a 7 year rebuild. We have the results, perhaps some humility and admitting you were wrong.

So you think they should have carried on with DJ? Or are you doubling down on not understanding it takes longer than 10 games to break 5 years of habits.
Again, I’m capable of calling balls and strikes, and did so with the previous owner, GM and coach….. you’re an all in on the 100% hate train for the previous regime…. And the fact you name those who did not jump on board the hate train as contrarians exposes your True colour (proper Canadian spelling)

• Haha
Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So, you would have kept DJ around to the end of the season (or beyond perhaps) - is that what you are saying?
No, I always qualified my earlier in the season comments, that it would always come down to the play on the ice…. And if the team fell of a Cliff, they did, and they got rid of DJS……but the team landed on branch, and JM was brought in to pull the team back up to the top of the Cliff, and he has actually made things worse, in term of results on the scoreboard…. They can’t wait until the off-season to bring in a Berube type coach….it needs to happen now, JM is not up to the rigours of the job, is is best suited as a consultant…but he has knocked the team of the branch and the team is falling off the Cliff…this need to be corrected asap.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What kind of fish?
White Lake is a good numbers lake, it's not a size lake. Large mouth, small mouth. There are various bass tournament series that hold events at White Lake. A big 5 fish bag at White Lake is 15 pounds. Again, lots of fish, not big fish.

Walleye are rebounding. There's been work done on spawning bed rehabilitation which helps. It's a shallow lake so walleye fishing in the weeds

There are no muskie. Muskie are in the Madawaska system but it's not connected to White Lake.

It's a great lake for day trip outings from the city. Your literally guaranteed to catch a bunch of bass. But for serious bass guys or anyone looking for table fare, much better options in Eastern Ontario.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
How I see this is Chabot has to go. He's part of the leadership group, wears a letter and he doesn't play with anywhere near the intensity it takes to win consistently. Admittedly his talent will shine through and win on occasion but his work ethic hasn't led to consistent winning.

If we literally get nothing for him, it's a win. We have Sanderson. Our worst case scenario after that is Chychrun doesn't re-sign and two years from now we're left with a left side of Sanderson and Kleven.

So long as you have leaders that won't play hard intense hockey, then stand at the mic after the game and talk about what you have to do, you're in trouble. If some other team comes along and thinks "we can take advantage of the Sens while they're down" and we can move that contract, it needs to be moved.

He's the oldest guy in the core. Hopefully everyone else is young enough to teach new tricks.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
How I see this is Chabot has to go. He's part of the leadership group, wears a letter and he doesn't play with anywhere near the intensity it takes to win consistently. Admittedly his talent will shine through and win on occasion but his work ethic hasn't led to consistent winning.

If we literally get nothing for him, it's a win. We have Sanderson. Our worst case scenario after that is Chychrun doesn't re-sign and two years from now we're left with a left side of Sanderson and Kleven.

So long as you have leaders that won't play hard intense hockey, then stand at the mic after the game and talk about what you have to do, you're in trouble. If some other team comes along and thinks "we can take advantage of the Sens while they're down" and we can move that contract, it needs to be moved.

He's the oldest guy in the core. Hopefully everyone else is young enough to teach new tricks.
Trading Chabot is logical in the sense that they have an abundance of LS DMen, on the roster and in Belleville…. Ideally acquiring a RS DMen would be great, but no one is letting a RS DMen at this time of the season…. So Chabot for picks and prospects would free up much needed cap space, and perhaps allow flexibility for future trades to bring in veteran help as the Rookie GM has expressed a desire for.

seeing Chabot let go, one season before his MNTC kicks in, should get the attention of the younger members of the “core” who may have similar clauses in their long term contracts…. It could weed out those who are committed to staying and making things work in Ottawa, from those who are content with cashing their paycheques and looking forward to playing in the World Championships.

J Martin has been back with Ottawa for over one month, observing and now behind the bench for a (so far) .300 record in 10 games…. He’s been talking/coaching with these players for over a month, so whatever he’s been preaching is falling on deaf ears….based on the play in the last 10 games….. something more than moving Chabot needs to happen, and if it was up to me, Berube is the current pick of the available Head coaches…. So the Rookie GM should NOT wait any longer, send J Martin back up to the owners box, to observe and consult, as he can’t handle the everyday rigours of a NHL head coach….

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
No, I always qualified my earlier in the season comments, that it would always come down to the play on the ice…. And if the team fell of a Cliff, they did, and they got rid of DJS……but the team landed on branch, and JM was brought in to pull the team back up to the top of the Cliff, and he has actually made things worse, in term of results on the scoreboard…. They can’t wait until the off-season to bring in a Berube type coach….it needs to happen now, JM is not up to the rigours of the job, is is best suited as a consultant…but he has knocked the team of the branch and the team is falling off the Cliff…this need to be corrected asap.
Its a lot words, but it sounds like you backed DJ. As I recall, you backed the others in this regime, so I suppose you're consistent. What's odd is you had a lot of patience for that old regime and was willing to cut them slack for a prolonged period of time.

I don't see the Martin's results as being much different than DJs. The big difference is that DJ was around for a while with a poor track record (we won NADA), whereas Martin has been the coach for a short period of time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Apparently Phil Kessel is still looking for work according to Dzingel, might be an option if we clear out a spot, not sure he's the type of vet we're looking for (he really isn't...) but he's still got wheels, multiple cup rings.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
White Lake is a good numbers lake, it's not a size lake. Large mouth, small mouth. There are various bass tournament series that hold events at White Lake. A big 5 fish bag at White Lake is 15 pounds. Again, lots of fish, not big fish.

Walleye are rebounding. There's been work done on spawning bed rehabilitation which helps. It's a shallow lake so walleye fishing in the weeds

There are no muskie. Muskie are in the Madawaska system but it's not connected to White Lake.

It's a great lake for day trip outings from the city. Your literally guaranteed to catch a bunch of bass. But for serious bass guys or anyone looking for table fare, much better options in Eastern Ontario.
I need these options. Share. Now! Ahhhhhh!

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Probably guys like Greig or Kleven or high draft picks will have to be sacrified
No other team will give us good 8MM$ players for our weak 8MM$ players
It will come to it like it or not

That's the extend Dorion has damaged this team
Will take years to overcome

Like I said in another post maybe try an hail marry a la FLO Panthers 2vs1 but nothing guaranteed it would succeed like it did for them

You don't sacrifice a guy like Greig, or Kleven for that matter, to get off those contracts. If that's the cost, you just don't do it. Those contracts are not that bad.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
You don't sacrifice a guy like Greig, or Kleven for that matter, to get off those contracts. If that's the cost, you just don't do it. Those contracts are not that bad.
We all love our 29th place in the standings I agree with you

Ding ding ding

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
What am I supposed to take from this response? That because the situation is bad, doing anything - even something as stupid as trading Ridly Greig - is better than doing nothing?
I said it will PROBABLY cost an asset like Greig or Kleven or high pick to get rid of Norris or Chabot contract because they are not worth 8 MM$

Where did I suggest to trade Greig?
Simple question Where?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad