News Article: GM Steve Staios looking for veteran help to assist the Senators' young core

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
do whatever you can to get Pavelski in UFA. One of the best leaders in the game.
With Stü, Norris, Pinto and Greig I feel like they would be looking to add another center as great as Pavelski is, or is Pavelski playing wing these days? I guess Stü and Greig could move to wing, but tbh I suspect we'll be aiming lower.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
With Stü, Norris, Pinto and Greig I feel like they would be looking to add another center as great as Pavelski is, or is Pavelski playing wing these days? I guess Stü and Greig could move to wing, but tbh I suspect we'll be aiming lower.

He plays RW 100% according to Left Wing Lock

Reactions: Micklebot

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Jamie Benn would be a solid target. Trying to to fit in his cap hit would be a challenge though.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Given that there is increasing buzz about the potential for a core piece to be moved, it's not easy to speculate about what the team may end up needing positionally.

That said, one area that should be a priority is to replace Dominik Kubalik with a much different type of player and I think Nick Foligno fits the bill. He's played 1000 games, been a captain in the league, been through all sorts of stuff personally and professionally and I think he would have a lot to offer in terms of helping to re-establish a healthy culture in Ottawa. I think he can still be a useful player in 14 minutes a night on a line with Greig and Joseph too.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Great interview by Staios, very impressive compared to what we’ve been accustomed to with D’ohrion

Adding a legit veteran and Pinto would be two huge additions to his club

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Chris Tanev - we’d have to give more term than a team like the leafs and move either Chabot or Chychrun

While his style is what we need at RHD, its what everyone needs and someone will sign him to a far too long contract this summer. 35 next year, 1 season above 70 games played in his career (i.e. hurt often) and a style that causes the body to break down. Someone likely to give him 3 years 4M, and I just do not want that to be us.

And of course why would he want to come here vs a Stanley cup contender .....

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Jamie Benn would be a solid target. Trying to to fit in his cap hit would be a challenge though.
I want someone who has won a cup. I don't recall Benn having a cup yet.

We could sign Corey Perry right now, cap permitting of course. My guess would be, though, that he is waiting for a call from a legit Cup contender, which we are decidedly not.
I don't think Corey Perry would be the best idea, given his problems related to alcohol.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

A league executive told Postmedia on Saturday that most veteran players available right now were on expiring contracts and there were still 61 days before the trade deadline on March 8.
“Those guys become even more valuable before the trade deadline and the race is so tight in each conference it can be hard to get those guys,” the executive said.
Talk in league circles is that the Senators have tried to deal winger Dominik Kubalik, who was brought over as part of the Alex DeBrincat trade, but there’s not much of a market for a veteran with eight goals and three assists for 11 points in 34 games, along with a minus-12 rating.

Last edited:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I want someone who has won a cup. I don't recall Benn having a cup yet.

I don't think Corey Perry would be the best idea, given his problems related to alcohol.
That would narrow down the list of options quite a bit.

Looking at some forwards that could fit what you are looking for:
There is Blake Coleman (32) in Calgary, Yanni Gourde (32) in Seattle, Pat Maroon (35) in Minnesota, Brayden Schenn (32) in St Louis, Jordan Staal (31) in Carolina, Barclay Goodrow (30) in New York and TJ Oshie (37) in Washington.

Then you still have Zach Parise (38), Eric Staal (38) and Jonathan Toews (35) as UFAs.

If you don't require them to have won a cup before then you could add Jamie Benn, Marcus Foligno, Anders Lee, Boone Jenner, Scott Laughton, Charlie Coyle among others to the list

On top of that there are the likes of Cal Clutterbuck, Matt Martin, Nick Foligno, Zemgus Girgensons, Kyle Okoposo. Hell even Ryan Reaves has a ton of playoff experience and the Leafs would likely be willing to move him.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just hoping that we now have a GM who will make « the right moves »

It doesn’t have to be perfect, it doesn’t have to be homeruns, it just needs to go towards building a real cohesive team and also not potential BLOW IN OUR FACE type of trades (Dorion’s trademark)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

So... No young talent on the move, where's the cutoff? Is Chabot young, if not, how about Chych and Bath?

Kubalik, Tank are obvious trade bait, I'd move Brannstrom, which if he's not young means guys like Tkachuk and Norris might not be though Brannstrom probably falls out of that category for other reasons

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Not sure why we should want to compete with playoff teams for these vets at the deadline. We should be offloading our own expiring contracts and getting max assets. The acquisitions should wait till the off-season, preferably via free agency rather than divesting of assets IMO.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So... No young talent on the move, where's the cutoff? Is Chabot young, if not, how about Chych and Bath?

Kubalik, Tank are obvious trade bait, I'd move Brannstrom, which if he's not young means guys like Tkachuk and Norris might not be though Brannstrom probably falls out of that category for other reasons
This is what Bruce wrote on that topic

The Senators are built around their core — Brady Tkachuk, Tim Stutzle, Josh Norris, Drake Batherson, Thomas Chabot and Jake Sanderson — and all of those players are signed long-term. There has been speculation that Ottawa may decide to move on from one of them.

Staios is hard to read, but he doesn’t sound like he’s in that mode … yet.

All (those young) players that you named continue to improve, and they bring great character and different qualities,” told Edmonton colour analyst Bob Stauffer on Oilers Now on 630 CHED on Friday night. “That’s very intriguing about this group and moving forward.

“As this group matures, and gains more experience, we’re excited about it. Now, my job is to be able to support them, not only through bringing in the right players, but also with the environment and all the resources that we have to make sure that we can create that environment where they can maximize that potential.”

Reactions: Micklebot

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Addition by subtraction. Goofy 72 is a defensive liability w a muffin shot. Last game, his GA leads to 1st Kraken goal, then
he takes himself out of the play on 2nd goal..leaving Tatar to walk in alone on Korpi. 72 is not core, just rotten. Trade asap, and retain $ if necessary. Leafs seem ripe as a target.

• Haha
Reactions: Puikiou

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad