Speculation: GM Lou Lamoriello to take lesser role with team?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It’s funny when folks mention Chayka, one could also point to Yzerman as a rookie GM whose thrived.
No , one could not point to Yzerman if one took even a quick look at there previous experience.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It was reported endlessly they were looking to hire a young GM to work in tandem with the people he had in place . After the Kessel deal he went with LL to run the team and school the inexperienced (at the NHL level) mgmt staff.

Can you show me one of those reports?

Because I see a report that Shanahan wanted someone who will work with the group on the plan they have and if a candidate can’t do that, this job isn’t for them.

That report is from Shanahan himself. His own words the day after firing Nonis.

The Leafs apparently were interviewing several former GM’s current Assistant GM’s.

In fact, Shanahan’s words the day after firing Nonis... it’s scary how they matchup to Nonis. Saying he wants someone to bring character and tradition to the organization, to help ensure that this team is represented by players who want to play for the team.

The hiring of Lamoriello had nothing to do with Dubas and Hunter’s moves, but rather Lou being the right guy to instill that character into the organization.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Can you show me one of those reports?

Because I see a report that Shanahan wanted someone who will work with the group on the plan they have and if a candidate can’t do that, this job isn’t for them.

That report is from Shanahan himself. His own words the day after firing Nonis.

The Leafs apparently were interviewing several former GM’s current Assistant GM’s.

In fact, Shanahan’s words the day after firing Nonis... it’s scary how they matchup to Nonis. Saying he wants someone to bring character and tradition to the organization, to help ensure that this team is represented by players who want to play for the team.

The hiring of Lamoriello had nothing to do with Dubas and Hunter’s moves, but rather Lou being the right guy to instill that character into the organization.

I'm on my phone so you'll have to do your own googling.

Yes he said work with the group as more of a collective and than in the traditional role of a GM . There's also threads on here discussing that very subject.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Surprised there wasn't a thread on this...

On Headlines yesterday, it was said that Lamoriello may step away from the GM role for next season. Both Friedman and Johnston said that Lamoriello may not be on the last year of his contract but that this may be his last year as the GM to transition to an advisory role.

Would Maple Leafs GM Lou Lamoriello take lesser role with team? - Sportsnet.ca

Dubas is likely to take over. He's been with the organization since the Shanahan take over rebuild. He's been learning from Lamoriello for awhile now as well. He's done great work with the Marlies and seems to have a good eye for finding gems.

This seems to support the theory last season when the Avalanche tried to hire Dubas that the Leafs declined the job interview or whatever as they want Dubas to take over very soon, which may be as soon as next season.

Not sure how I feel.

Would like Lou to handle the next wave of contracts, we're moving to a very delicate time in this franchise's history. Every dollar, signing etc is going to have massive implications for us to build a cup contending team. I hope Dubas is up for it.

Part of me wonders if San Jose doesn't qualify for the playoffs would Doug Wilson be let go? Would be a nice add. He always tries to make big deals to improve his team. I thought he did a great job with their defense. He knew they needed an offensive defenseman and grabbed Brian Campbell at the trade deadline. Campbell wouldn't re-sign with San Jose so he went out and got Dan Boyle. After already getting Dan Boyle he still went out and grabbed Brent Burns.

He did add Heatley for barely anything. Hindsight can be seen as whatever but at the time it as a hell of an add.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
They'll still be working as a committee, so I dont care.
Dubas will have much more influence on decisions as GM over A. GM. Likely the 2nd biggest voice after Shanny. Which I love, we'll never see Polak/Martin type deals again.

But I do hope Lou gets the 3 main kids on contracts before he leaves.

Last edited:

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I believe Fletcher is an "advisor". If Lou Lam stays, he will be an advisor without the quotation marks.

Graduating Dubas will help prevent any future poaching attempts, but I would like to see the same five-headed monster we have now - Shanny, Lamoriello, Dubas, Hunter & Babcock.

I agree with others that a stronger voice for Dubas is a good thing.

Reactions: IBeL13f

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
10 questions after Lamoriello hiring - Article - TSN

One day after Lou Lamoriello's stunning dash to the Maple Leafs, we are left with more questions than answers. Here is an attempt to answer some of those lingering uncertainties about the Leafs' present and immediate future:

1. Is Lou Lamoriello grooming assistant GM Kyle Dubas to be the Leafs' next general manager?

Brendan Shanahan said Lamoriello will mentor everyone on the Leafs' staff, including the president himself. No one person has more room to grow or learn in the Maple Leafs' front office than Dubas, who was not yet one-year-old when Lamoriello took over in New Jersey in 1987.

The expectation of Dubas one day becoming a GM was mentioned for the first time by Lamoriello on Thursday - perhaps giving him a leg up for the future over longtime hockey man Mark Hunter.
"I think he's a young fellow who has tremendous abilities," Lamoriello said. "I know of his background. If he doesn't become general manager here, and I'm not going to be here for a lifetime, it's going to be his fault."

Dubas, 28, took trade calls from the NHL's other 29 general managers before the draft and free agent season, playing a role in the departure of Phil Kessel. Lamoriello's hiring was a sign Dubas was not yet ready to take on that role full-time.

Lamoriello's contract is three years in length. It is the first time in Lamoriello's 28-year NHL career that details on the length of his contract have been made public. Even though he is not joining the Maple Leafs "for a lifetime," Lamoriello indicated he'd be interested in staying longer than just three years.

The conversation might be quite different three years from now. Dubas will no longer be green, for sure, after working under Lamoriello.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
I wish he'd stick around until after the kids are signed.

Interesting. I agree that I'd like Lou involved in the signing of our Big 3, but if he can do that from an advisory role, I'd be happy to give Dubas a shot and see what he can do. Should be good news for us as far as the Polaks of the world are concerned.

I'm with you here that at least have Lou Lam doing the Matthews deal first before turning this over to greenhorns.

I'm hoping (and predict) that all three (Matthews, Marner & Nylander) will sign extensions this July. Hopefully Lou makes this his last move before stepping down.

So far, none of them have taken the huge step forward that many expected (Marner seems to be taking it now though). I could see Matthews getting 90+ points next year (if he stays healthy) & Marner getting 80+ points. So preemptive signings might be huge.

If there's any chance of a discount ... the best play is to bring all three in to negotiate together. Its easier to sacrifice equally as a group, than as an individual (who doesn't know if others will be as generous). It'll also highlight that each individual concessions will be amplified in value for the team. Obviously they have agents, but the message will get to the players, who will discuss with each other & have the final decision.

If Lou can get all three locked up for $22 million or less ... I will consider him a legend.

$10,000,000 x 8 years = Matthews
$ 6,000,000 x 7 years = Marner
$ 6,000,000 x 7 years = Nylander

Last edited:

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Would be very happy with Dubas taking over. Hopefully, Hunter stays on as well. I don't see him leaving, but I think there were some rumours last year that he wanted to be GM. He's a terrific scout and I've liked how he's drafted so far.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Dubas isn't a young kid anymore, sure he's young for a GM, but it'll be 4 years since his initial hiring this summer. It's not that crazy to think he's finally put in enough time to be the GM

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I'm hoping (and predict) that all three (Matthews, Marner & Nylander) will sign extensions this July. Hopefully Lou makes this his last move before stepping down.

So far, none of them have taken the huge step forward that many expected (Marner seems to be taking it now though). I could see Matthews getting 90+ points next year (if he stays healthy) & Marner getting 80+ points. So

preemptive signings might be huge.

Lou is a non factor on contracts, Pridham does the contracts period, it's time Dubas takes over were trading too many picks away. And it shows on our N/A prospects.

If there's any chance of a discount ... the best play is to bring all three in to negotiate together. Its easier to sacrifice equally as a group, than as an individual (who doesn't know if others will be as generous). It'll also highlight that each individual concessions will be amplified in value for the team. Obviously they have agents, but the message will get to the players, who will discuss with each other & have the final decision.

If Lou can get all three locked up for $22 million or less ... I will consider him a legend.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

So far, none of them have taken the huge step forward that many expected (Marner seems to be taking it now though). I could see Matthews getting 90+ points next year (if he stays healthy) & Marner getting 80+ points. So preemptive signings might be huge.

Pridham handles the Contracts period, time for Dubas to take over they've done nothing to improve the compete level of the team as shown by both the Leafs and Marlies yesterday. Shero continues to improve the mess in Jersey after taking over from Lou.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Pridham handles the Contracts period, time for Dubas to take over they've done nothing to improve the compete level of the team as shown by both the Leafs and Marlies yesterday. Shero continues to improve the mess in Jersey after taking over from Lou.

"they've done nothing to improve the compete level of the team as shown by both the Leafs and Marlies yesterday"

So you base your opinion on a teams entire front office on 1 Leafs game & 1 Marlies game...?

Lets ignore that the Leafs have gone from 30th to 6th in two years & that the Marlies are in 1st place.....because they played a bad game yesterday......we should fire everyone......

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Leafs need to start manufacturing picks and prospects out of UFA acquisitions like earlier in the rebuild. The own rentals of JVR, Bozak, and trades for Boyle and Bozak has probably subtracted a few good prospects who would have been in the system.
That time is over with. If a good trade happens for them then they will make the trade.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
It had better be his idea.

Shanny approached Lou, in NJ since it had seems as though, he had been forced away from an on-ice role.
Lou still said he had the fire in his belly, and was ready for a new challenge.
Despite the "3yr contract", Shanny said that about every 6 months he asks Lou if he wants to continue.
Maybe he said he doesn't want to continue in this role. I just hope that its his idea this time.

We have the personnel in place to takeover from him.
He was the perfect GM, at the perfect time: A cone of silence, turning over the roster, purging the
ringleaders of salutegate, a strict code of team first, and safety for the rookies.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Guess what if we had drafted Zacha and McLeod you'd be all over them too.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I'm not sure if Pridham is the one negotiating it. I'm sure they all work together to try and get it done.
I would guess that Pridham figures out what our cap can handle and figures out the big picture based on who management wants as part of the roster, and Lou tries to negotiate contracts within the recommended range Pridham deems doable with the capspace.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think a lot of people see three factors with Dubas:

1. He's young and hockey, especially at GM, is an old man's game.

2. It hasn't looked good with Chayka, though the situations don't match.

3. The retention on Kessel has some ready to run him out of town.

I have no issues at all with Dubas and would welcome him with open arms to be GM. I think he would be perfect to keep us competitive for years, so that in 2030 we can still slaugher a team in an outdoor game and Matthews will be going for Art Ross at 32.

Shanahan was the one who wanted Kessel out at any cost. I don't think Phil's work ethic and training habits were something Shanny wanted around the kids coming in, and he wanted him out before the 2015-16 season started. I am sure Hunter and Dubas advised Shanny on the players to target (Kapanen), but the deal as I remember it being reported at the time was largely negotiated by Shanahan.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Decided to look at the trades and signings made under the Dubas/Hunter interim tenure. Overall, it’s pretty good. Some weren’t happy with the Kessel deal, but it got us Kapanen, and the pick that got us Andersen so it’s helping us now.

Leafs acquired Zach Hyman from FLA for Greg McKegg

Leafs acquired Martin Marincin and Brad Ross for a 4th Round pick

Leafs acquire Kasperi Kapanen, Nik Spaling, Scott Harrington, a 1st and 3rd for Phil Kessel, Tim Erixon, Tyler Biggs and a conditional 2nd

Leafs acquire Taylor Beck for Jamie Devane

Leafs signed Shawn Matthias, Daniel Winnik, Mark Arcobello, Matt Hunwick

Leafs re-sign Nazem Kadri to a 1 year deal.

Some of the Dubas/Hunter tandem's best work were the 2015 draft day moves that got us Dermott.

Reactions: stickty111

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Shanahan was the one who wanted Kessel out at any cost. I don't think Phil's work ethic and training habits were something Shanny wanted around the kids coming in, and he wanted him out before the 2015-16 season started. I am sure Hunter and Dubas advised Shanny on the players to target (Kapanen), but the deal as I remember it being reported at the time was largely negotiated by Shanahan.

Shanahan did the deal.
they (Leafs) wanted Murrry, and Rutherford said no. none of the penguins wanted to waive their NMC's to come to Toronto so Kapanen was the next best option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad