GDT: GM#70 LA Kings vs Arizona Coyotes @7:00

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
what is the minimum a player would have to do to get a throwing of equipment penalty? :eek:

throw your stick to center ice?

LOL well, I guess if you are act like it's all the same, then...sure stick to center ice, not even close to what happened here,

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
No and to be fair to the refs they were excellent last night imo. So in the big picture I'm ok with it not being called. But being about a week removed from a ref who did impose on the game by making a terrible call then doubling down by further punishing Drew in the box, this really wasn't that much different. Hammer disagreed with a call (which was a technical foul too, not even a marginal slashing/hooking call) and literally hunted down a piece of his broken stick just so he could chuck it down to show up the refs like "See? My stick was broken. how could you call that?" before huffing off to the box. He's fortunate that this particular crew did not have an ego and were solidly in control because they were well within their rights as per either rulebook to give him a misconduct if nothing else.

I disagree, he didn't go hunting down a piece of stick, he skated by, picked it up, and slung it behind him headed to the box, in no way shape or form did he try and show up the officials, to even compare that to what Doughty did, is disingenuous at best, not even on the same level.

Could they have called that, of course they could, should they have, no, they shouldn't have, and they didn't. Refs can call a penalty on every single play of every single game, it simply won't happen though.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I disagree, he didn't go hunting down a piece of stick, he skated by, picked it up, and slung it behind him headed to the box, in no way shape or form did he try and show up the officials, to even compare that to what Doughty did, is disingenuous at best, not even on the same level.

Could they have called that, of course they could, should they have, no, they shouldn't have, and they didn't. Refs can call a penalty on every single play of every single game, it simply won't happen though.

So what's the purpose? It's not a hockey play. It's a selfish, displeasure-showing play, and a douche move at best given the penalty called was closing hand on the puck which is pretty cut and dry, not subjective. But at least you're admitting they could have called it, that was my only qualm, that you were in here essentially calling people dumb for wondering why it wasn't called.

Reactions: KingTrouty

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
So what's the purpose? It's not a hockey play. It's a selfish, displeasure-showing play. But at least you're admitting they could have called it, that was my only qualm, that you were in here essentially calling people dumb for wondering why it wasn't called.

Wasn't calling people anything, and if it came out that way, I dunno. I figure if you've been around the game for a long time, and you take the fandom out of that, you gotta know that's NOT going to be called, it's just not a penalty that makes the cut in the pro game.

IF they would have called that, I guarantee you their supervisor would have been up their ass after the game, I know mine would have, and that was just for junior and college stuff.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
My only agenda is to see the Kings win their 3rd Stanley Cup in 2018.
I know this is how many fans feel. I root for this as well, but it is not my agenda.

When I post here I observe what is happening on the ice and within the organization, and provide an honest assessment and opinion on what the organization needs to do to be successful.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Alright, enough shots at one another.

Then you wouldn't be following the USA Hockey nor the NHL rulebook, and that's your perogative, but to act like it shouldn't be called is a matter of opinion.

Players aren't making a big deal about it and everyone else has moved on as maybe they should, but Hammer literally picked up his broken stick just to throw it down in a tantrum. We came off a game where we were punished for similar showmanship. Don't blame anyone at all for wondering aloud why so selective.

Throwing Stick/Object

Our board was as bad as the Ducks board when that play happened, you guys need to stop taking everything Faust and Fox day as gospel like they do with Hayward.

You see players make frustrated plays multiple times a year, including Kopitar smashing his stick over the crossbar and nothing is called (rightfully) and then you guys want that called because idiot Faust makes an incorrect statement on the broadcast.

And comparing that to what Doughty did vs Chicago is absolutely ridiculous and just makes you look like a homer.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Throwing Stick/Object

Our board was as bad as the Ducks board when that play happened, you guys need to stop taking everything Faust and Fox day as gospel like they do with Hayward.

You see players make frustrated plays multiple times a year, including Kopitar smashing his stick over the crossbar and nothing is called (rightfully) and then you guys want that called because idiot Faust makes an incorrect statement on the broadcast.

And comparing that to what Doughty did vs Chicago is absolutely ridiculous and just makes you look like a homer.

Not sure if your posting the right rule, more than likely it would come under unsportsmanlike conduct more than throwing the stick, especially since it came after a whistle, but we both agree it was a non-call non-issue

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Not sure if your posting the right rule, more than likely it would come under unsportsmanlike conduct more than throwing the stick, especially since it came after a whistle, but we both agree it was a non-call non-issue

Faust implied that it is an automatic penalty and it’s only an automatic penalty when it’s done during play, which this wasn’t.

I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I’ve seen sticks destroyed over a crossbar after an ENG and it’s never unsportsmanlike conduct in those cases and correctly wasn’t called in this one.

Faust shouldn’t talk in absolutes when he is clearly ignorant to the rules of the game, he made himself look like an idiot (and I’m generally pretty pro Faust)

Reactions: BigKing

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Throwing Stick/Object

Pretty sure 95% of people disagree/hate what Faust and Fox say most of the time.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Pretty sure 95% of people disagree/hate what Faust and Fox say most of the time.

True but go back and look at the thread when that play happened. There were probably 5 or so posts calling for a penalty on the play, I can guarantee you none of those posts happen if Faust doesn’t incorrectly say on the broadcast that it’s an automatic penalty.

That’s my point, you need to take what Faust and especially Fox say with a heavy dose of skepticism.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Throwing Stick/Object

1. Wrong rule, see "unsportsmanlike conduct," and the NHL one is even more specific. Ref also has a lot of discretion on that, i.e. doughty didn't get a "throwing a helmet in the box" penalty.

2. Give me a f***ing break, Herby. My opinion is my own, and posters can have opinions independent of Faust and Fox, which is readily apparent given the incessant complaints about both.

3. Yes, guys break their sticks after an ENG. They could call it there, too. They won't because it's players mad at selves, which is a far cry from taking a penalty early in the first and throwing your stick in protest. And again, I'm saying this as a guy who is fine with them calling nothing, but to suggest posters are dumb for questioning the scenario is ignorant at best.

I actually thought the refs actually did a pretty magnificent job last night especially given the gravity and competitiveness of the game.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
1. Wrong rule, see "unsportsmanlike conduct," and the NHL one is even more specific. Ref also has a lot of discretion on that, i.e. doughty didn't get a "throwing a helmet in the box" penalty.

2. Give me a ****ing break, Herby. My opinion is my own, and posters can have opinions independent of Faust and Fox, which is readily apparent given the incessant complaints about both.

3. Yes, guys break their sticks after an ENG. They could call it there, too. They won't because it's players mad at selves, which is a far cry from taking a penalty early in the first and throwing your stick in protest. And again, I'm saying this as a guy who is fine with them calling nothing, but to suggest posters are dumb for questioning the scenario is ignorant at best.

I actually thought the refs actually did a pretty magnificent job last night especially given the gravity and competitiveness of the game.

Bolded the part, there is no part of what Hammer did that suggested protest of the call, ZERO, none. I can't stress that enough.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Bolded the part, there is no part of what Hammer did that suggested protest of the call, ZERO, none. I can't stress that enough.

So what was the purpose? You didn't answer that earlier.

He picked up a broken piece of his stick on his way to the box, and chucked it away. Why?

Your interpretation might be a lack of protest, but I definitely see it differently, as do at least a few others. It's questionable.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
They could have called an unsportsmanlike if they wanted; however, it could easily be construed as frustration with his stick breaking as opposed to the call which is why they didn't tack on the extra two minutes.

I thought he seemed upset with the refs for the call prior to throwing the stick so they were within their rights to tag him with the penalty but unsportsmanlike penalties like this are at the refs discretion. No problem with not calling one there.

I prefer that the refs don't hand out unsportsmanlike penalties unless a line is clearly crossed. The refs actually take a lot of verbal abuse so you usually have to be a real jack ass to pick one up, hence the anger at Doughty for the Chicago incident.

Faust was wrong though about an automatic penalty. It's like he has seen it called during play once in his life and wants to be able to call-out an obscure rule to make himself look smart. He started to mention Quick throwing his stick when he attempted to save the Gagner open net miss in the Vancouver game, something like "Oh...looked like Quick might of thrown the stick there but it appears his stick hit a player as he was coming across..." Case of the new guy trying too hard to prove he belongs.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Raccoon,

You yourself replied to my original post saying that there is no grey area and that it’s an automatic minor penalty now you are saying it’s up to the ref, which is it?

Sorry if you feel like I am insulting your knowledge of the game or calling you a Faust follower, just don’t think anyone makes any posts calling for a penalty if Faust hadn’t incorrectly said it was an automatic call.

And the most hilarious thing about it is that it may have been Faust’s most assertive moment all year on any Kings broadcast, and he was wrong, lol.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Yea Faust was wrong, and he and Jim are grating at times.

He's trying to fill a pair of size 100 shoes though, so he's going to need a couple seasons to find his way. I think he does fine overall, but as LA fans our vision of a good broadcaster is a pretty freakin high standard. It's rare that the three big sports have an announcer that could be argued as the best in the business, let alone broadcasting at the same time. I grew up a Laker/Kings fan so Chick/Bob spoiled me. I grew up a few miles from Anaheim stadium, so I dislike the Dodgers, but I still would watch their games just to hear Vin. He's that good, his stories always mesmerized me.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
What about the non-call last night when the AZ player threw his stick after getting a penalty??

Doughty got an extra two minute penalty a few games ago for throwing his stick in the penalty box.

Total BS!!!

I think he did it on the ice earlier too. After a call he just flipped his stick in the air and got an extra 2. Last night the guy threw it into the boards with force and got away clean.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Raccoon,

You yourself replied to my original post saying that there is no grey area and that it’s an automatic minor penalty now you are saying it’s up to the ref, which is it?

Sorry if you feel like I am insulting your knowledge of the game or calling you a Faust follower, just don’t think anyone makes any posts calling for a penalty if Faust hadn’t incorrectly said it was an automatic call.

And the most hilarious thing about it is that it may have been Faust’s most assertive moment all year on any Kings broadcast, and he was wrong, lol.

I never said it was an automatic two, only that it's in the rulebook, like any other number of penalties refs do or don't call. My qualm was with the initial assertion that people were dumb for questioning whether it could be a penalty or not, because whether it's called or not is a matter of enforcement and subject to ref discretion. I think Charron would have called it in an instant, heh.

I disagree that no one would have said anything if for no other reason than Drew just got dinged a couple of games ago for being a petulant baby. In my interpretation, I don't think Hammer was being much better here.

Had a good lol at the last line because I totally agree, he was into it. BigKing nailed it, it's like he knew the obscure rule from somewhere (college?) about throwing the stick DURING play and applied it hard after the fact.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Yea Faust was wrong, and he and Jim are grating at times.

He's trying to fill a pair of size 100 shoes though, so he's going to need a couple seasons to find his way. I think he does fine overall, but as LA fans our vision of a good broadcaster is a pretty freakin high standard. It's rare that the three big sports have an announcer that could be argued as the best in the business, let alone broadcasting at the same time. I grew up a Laker/Kings fan so Chick/Bob spoiled me. I grew up a few miles from Anaheim stadium, so I dislike the Dodgers, but I still would watch their games just to hear Vin. He's that good, his stories always mesmerized me.

Every announcer that filled in for Miller last year, even the ones I didn't like are 10x the announcer Faust is. I know he's new, but he needs to keep his opinions to himself. He is suppose to be painting a picture of what's going on if your not looking at the TV and half the time he or fox is rambling on and on about either gushing how great of an addition a 4th liner playing 8 min a game has been or giving his thoughts about something he knows nothing about.

I'm not expecting Miller level, but there is a serious lack of professionalism in the booth.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Every announcer that filled in for Miller last year, even the ones I didn't like are 10x the announcer Faust is. I know he's new, but he needs to keep his opinions to himself. He is suppose to be painting a picture of what's going on if your not looking at the TV and half the time he or fox is rambling on and on about either gushing how great of an addition a 4th liner playing 8 min a game has been or giving his thoughts about something he knows nothing about.

I'm not expecting Miller level, but there is a serious lack of professionalism in the booth.
At this point I'd love to have anyone over him, give me Jack Edwards ffs.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I think it is a penalty shot if the goalie throws his stick to make a save. I also think O'Donnell--in his 2nd LA stint--broke his stick and tossed it to the ice like any normal player would but the ref said he threw it at the opposing player with the puck so they called a penalty shot, even though the play took place at the other team's blueline.

I really could be remembering this incorrectly, but I think that is what happened. It is some obscure shit and I think Faust wants to flex on his supposed knowledge of the rule book and look smart. Swing and a miss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad