GDT: GM#69 LA Kings vs Vancouver Canucks @7:30

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
I am okay with it, but somehow we waste Kempe’s biggest strength on the 3rd line.

He has a very good shot but as soon as this line arrives in the offensive zone, they have a line change again.

Wished he could play some minutes with Kopitar.
With that crazy mix of players, it may happen tonight as well.

Kempe needs to play with Kopitar and Carter, he did get move up to the Carter line in the 3rd period of last game.. But that is because Pearson move up the first line and Iafallo got demoted down.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think you sell him short.

Iafallo didnt score for two months.

Kempe is not a C, never learnt to take faceoffs. Who can blame him.

Kempe is 3rd on the team in takeaways and many of his goals are scored because of it. Thats defense.

He is having a scoring drought, his FIRST this season. Now if he had sucked this whole season, okay, but saying he gets romanticized because of flash over substance/performance, than i respectfully disagree. I even smell European bias again.

Right, and Iafallo has been moved up and down the lineup because of a lack of production--but when he's not scoring, he's doing a whole heck of a lot of positive on the ice. Kempe spent months as the 2C and to be fair it's likely he'll end up where most of us thought he would be THIS year, at about 40 points, but when he's not scoring, he's been a roller coaster of effectiveness.

He's 3rd in takeaways partially because of his excellent speed--he's able to get in on players and close quickly and use reach to retrieve the puck. I agree that's part of defense. However, away from the forecheck, he's a tire fire and that's putting it kindly. Defense isn't only takeaways, it's about reads and positioning as well.

I'm only responding to your idea that he's not getting an opportunity to succeed. That's a fallacy. Johnny Utah earlier in the year was also bemoaning his lack of playing time, and my response then is the same it is now--he's not getting MORE playing time because he's not proving he can handle the defensive load of two-way play. Maybe that's unfair to expect early in his career--I don't really disagree with that since he was thrust into the spotlight with the Carter injury--but it is a fact. He's got a -2.35 corsi for rel despite facing softer competition than anyone but a couple of depth players. He only starts 20% of his shifts in the dzone, which is by far the softest on the team. Yet somehow, when he's on the ice, he's giving up the highest rates of shots against than any forward on the team, and is a drain in that regard on anyone he plays with. Yes, he absolutely can score, and yes, he has offensive talent, but you have to prove you can be better than Andy f***ing Andreoff defensively if you want to play up the lineup, because when your offense goes dry, you need something to hang your hat on. Right now, he's got nothing but a black hole for his hat. That's not Euro bias, that's cold hard facts.

And I'm not saying he can't improve, he's here learning from one of the best after all, but call it like you see it. His performance outside of scoring has been a mixed bag, and it's not for lack of opportunity. To me, it's for lack of experience, being thrust into a bigger role than he was prepared for. But I think he'll be a better player for it in the long run; I just don't think he's been as good as people want to champion, which is where my comment re: flash over substance came from.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Will Campbell be starting on the 2nd half of the back to back do you think?

Picked him up in fantasy.... as my starters are IR - figured this may be the best spot to ask as there is a game tomorrow.

Hi. Welcome.

That's what I expect. The kings only have something like 3 back to backs left. So barring injury, I can only expect 2-3 starts from him. Maybe 2 starts if we need a must win.

Reactions: dingbathero

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
There is still more for Kempe to learn, being consistent is at the top of the list.

Check out Toffoli/Pearson this year. It's tough to be consistent. I'll admit I don't give guys like Kopitar enough credit. Kopitar has been extremely consistent in his production.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There is still more for Kempe to learn, being consistent is at the top of the list.

Check out Toffoli/Pearson this year. It's tough to be consistent. I'll admit I don't give guys like Kopitar enough credit. Kopitar has been extremely consistent in his production.

Yep, volatility is part of the game for most players.

Kopitar is one of the most consistent players I have ever seen from both a raw production as well as games played standpoint. Rarely has standout games from a production aspect, but also rarely goes long stretches without production, and gives you a ton when he's not scoring--including simply always being on the ice playing big minutes. Kopitar and Drew have given us that for years.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yep, volatility is part of the game for most players.

Kopitar is one of the most consistent players I have ever seen from both a raw production as well as games played standpoint. Rarely has standout games from a production aspect, but also rarely goes long stretches without production, and gives you a ton when he's not scoring--including simply always being on the ice playing big minutes. Kopitar and Drew have given us that for years.

Kopitar has been fantastic this season. Let's not pretend he has been the model of consistency over his entire career, especially the last four seasons.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

Think that visual might motivate the team to not play half assed hockey for over 60% of a game from here on out?

The Kings are technically behind the Ducks for 3rd in the Pacific only because they've played one fewer game. Higher points-per-game average. Just need at least 1 point against Canucks to jump ahead of Ducks.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Kopitar has been fantastic this season. Let's not pretend he has been the model of consistency over his entire career, especially the last four seasons.
In every season except his first season he has played almost every game and scored at a consistent pace every year, except for 2016-17. ~65-75 points pretty much every year. He's Mr. Consistency. I think you'd have a hard time finding another player who is that consistent.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

In the big picture? He is absolutely mr. consistency . Go look at any other superstar and get back to me. I think you'll be surprised. Offensive numbers, defensive numbers, games played...precious little volatility over large sample sizes.

Same with Drew and one of the things that makes them worththe money: season in, season out, huge minutes all situations, damn near perfect attendance.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
I’m fine with the forward lineup. But I don’t want to see Forbort anymore. Dudes a bust. Especially not playing with Doughty. I’d rather see...

Muzzin-Doughty
Phaneuf-Ladue
Martinez-Folin

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
on the bright side, i have potsticker soup

hope thats not the highlight of the night

Reactions: Kylo Ren

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I’m fine with the forward lineup. But I don’t want to see Forbort anymore. Dudes a bust. Especially not playing with Doughty. I’d rather see...

Muzzin-Doughty
Phaneuf-Ladue
Martinez-Folin

would be a nice way to get everyone on their proper side

no idea what we're doing with ladue right now

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Forbort is the worst defenseman since scuderi. What an awful defenseman. No IQ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad