Pre-Game Talk: GM#30|Bolts @ ACC|20/3/13|7PM|Time to break this losing streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I am contemplating on not going to this game so the Leafs actually stand a chance. :handclap:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
5 losses in a row is disgusting at this point in the season.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well considering they let me down when I went to watch in person, almost say whatever to what they do now :laugh:.

But really, this is probably their best chance to break this streak. Having to play again the next day and then Boston games....ok they seriously need to win this one.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
We pissed away all our cushion these past 5 games, but to say its the worst thing, I don't know.

We definitely gave our selves breathing room early on, we have none now.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I want to feel disgusted in the team's performance but the fact that they somehow moved up from 7th to 6th place after a shoot out loss is keeping me temporarily sane :(

Doshy

Oct 7, 2007
I want to feel disgusted in the team's performance but the fact that they somehow moved up from 7th to 6th place after a shoot out loss is keeping me temporarily sane :(
We still have a slight cushion, and games remaining against the teams below us.

We have to get out of this slump and win some games vs teams we should beat (Tampa, Buffalo) in case we lose to teams like Boston again.

Doshy

Oct 7, 2007
Yup ^

We pretty much need 3 out of 4 wins in these next 4 games.

Or for the Rangers / Isles to keep losing, but we can't count on that.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If we can't beat Tampa and Buffalo I don't see how we can make it. Especially if we lose the two games against Boston after that.

Yep. If we can't beat Tampa and Buffalo, it is essentially a 9 game losing streak.

If we lose to Tampa and Buffalo and the Bruins after that, it's best to sell at the deadline and look towards the draft and next season.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I just hope we know where this team stands before the deadline. If they're out of the playoffs and sitting at ninth or tenth...there is no point in doing anything besides selling off.

Keep playing Holzer after that Carlyle :laugh: At least he'll be useful as the frickin Tank commander if we lose the next 4.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Well they've already lost to them once already this season so I guess we already have our answer :laugh:

That was when the Lightning was still a good team and averaged like 5 goals a game though.

We have to put teams away...if we let Tampa and Buffalo win, there is just no that homers can even say that this is a playoff team.

Nonis has some HUGE decisions to make in the offseason if we can't make the playoffs.

Carlyle...worth keeping or better off with Eakins?
Are Kessel and Phaneuf really worth the $$$ they will be commanding?
Will the Leafs ever win with Phaneuf as the captain?

Then we have needs such as another top 4 D, a good goalie (I think both our goalies have been decent but nothing to write home about), #1C (Stastny).

Should we even try to get Perry if it costs 8.5M+?

Etc etc.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Leafs NEED to beat Tampa, no excuses

The teams going to have 3 days off, if Carlyle doesn't punch some sense of urgency into this team after a 5game losing streak, I think we need another coach...

And to put this in perspective, a 5game losing streak in this shortened season is comparable to a 9game losing streak in a full season!!!

beleaf67

Mar 2, 2013
Ottawa Valley
No excuses, full lineup minus Gardiner...

If we cannot win both TB and Buffalo games we don't deserve to be in the playoffs...

GO LEAFS GO !!!

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
That was when the Lightning was still a good team and averaged like 5 goals a game though.

We have to put teams away...if we let Tampa and Buffalo win, there is just no that homers can even say that this is a playoff team.

Nonis has some HUGE decisions to make in the offseason if we can't make the playoffs.

Carlyle...worth keeping or better off with Eakins?
Are Kessel and Phaneuf really worth the $$$ they will be commanding?
Will the Leafs ever win with Phaneuf as the captain?

Then we have needs such as another top 4 D, a good goalie (I think both our goalies have been decent but nothing to write home about), #1C (Stastny).

Should we even try to get Perry if it costs 8.5M+?

Etc etc.

I wasn't really being serious but you do make a good point, the last time we faced Tampa, they were winning a lot of games because despite their leaky D (which we only managed to break once in that game), their potent offense had them in the division lead at that point. It seems they've tapered off since then so it might be a more manageable task but the boys have to commit.

What's hard to figure out is how a team that had success earlier in the season with strong defensive awareness is no longer doing the very things that had them winning games and rarely giving up more than 2 goals a game. How does that happen?

I do think that the team overall seems stronger mentally than last year. They're able to bounce back and put some fight into most of their games even though they still struggle to put together a solid 60 minute effort. They have it in them to turn it around, they're just going to have to dig deep and will themselves to pull ahead otherwise it will be an uncomfortable dog fight to the end...or worse case scenario, they'll once again fall out of playoff contention weeks before the season is even over.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Kulemin unchained!
After dying offensively on a line with Grabovski (i feel sorry for his new linemates),
he showed new life finally separated from him
I'm not the biggest Kulemin fan, but he showed us something Saturday night when he got to play with Kadri.
Yes he scored a pt per game with Malkin with in the KHL this yr, so he indeed must have some skill
KHL:
36 14 24 38 26 +25
But Grabovski got his pt per game too with Moscow
29 12 12 24 +8

so while not convincing there is at least some hope with rejuvinating Kulemin offensively here

beleaf67

Mar 2, 2013
Ottawa Valley
Kulemin unchained!
After dying offensively on a line with Grabovski (i feel sorry for his new linemates),
he showed new life finally separated from him
I'm not the biggest Kulemin fan, but he showed us something Saturday night when he got to play with Kadri.
Yes he scored a pt per game with Malkin with in the KHL this yr, so he indeed must have some skill
KHL:
36 14 24 38 26 +25
But Grabovski got his pt per game too with Moscow
29 12 12 24 +8

so while not convincing there is at least some hope with rejuvinating Kulemin offensively here

Poor Grabo more and more looks like Jason Blake 2.0. A lot of buzzing and nothing to show for... :shakehead

I wonder if managment will think about buying him out after the seaon is over. I don't think there is any interest in him around league and at the moment he is not worth $5.5mil.

I wonder if Colorado would would go for Stastny (and his $6.6mil) for Grabo (absorbed some salary by leafs) + pick/prospect.

Maybe Grabo needs a change of scenary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad