GDT: GM #3: LA Kings vs Calgary Flames @ 7:30

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Oh yeah. I'm getting old. Well then playing him 5 minutes per game makes even less sense.

Barely plays, hasn't killed a penalty, and hasn't fought. They're intentionally playing just 5 dmen. It's not based on circumstance, they're just going with 5 d. It's interesting.
I agree it makes no sense unless hes here to be a enforcer. I have no issue with that per say only have one that can play a shift. Maybe bring up Auger over MacDermid

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I couldn't tell you, I'm not the coaching staff. He can by all means get to Tkachuk. And Tkachuk will turtle and you will moan about him playing because LaDue is sitting. He's here because the staff likes him and no one else in the organization can play like him. Its not really that hard to understand.
So is Fantenberg why isn't his mins reduced hes a rookie as well Folin is also new to the team? You would think they would trust there own farm team developing solid players. MacDermid is here to be a enforcer but according to your own post he won't be able to get the guy he needs to . So i ask why is he here?

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I agree it makes no sense unless hes here to be a enforcer. I have no issue with that per say only have one that can play a shift. Maybe bring up Auger over MacDermid

Auger is not, nor will ever be an NHL player. MacDermid is not on the Kings to be an enforcer. He is the big body on D they need. Whether he can play with the pace to be an NHL d man is a work in progress. He is slowly gaining their trust, but has a long way to go. The question has always been with big Mac is whether or not he can play with pace, be quick enough with gap control, and make safe breakout passes. The answer to those questions is undetermined at this point.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I couldn't tell you, I'm not the coaching staff. He can by all means get to Tkachuk. And Tkachuk will turtle and you will moan about him playing because LaDue is sitting. He's here because the staff likes him and no one else in the organization can play like him. Its not really that hard to understand.
If he makes the attempt I will not say a word but lets be honest here i have doubt he be on the ice long enough to see Tkachuk on the ice, However when he doesn't you can bet money on me saying something. Player like him went out with Ivannas I get dressing him against the duck flames and maybe sharks anyone else he should be in the press box imo or back in the ahl till he can play a regular shift

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Auger is not, nor will ever be an NHL player. MacDermid is not on the Kings to be an enforcer. He is the big body on D they need. Whether he can play with the pace to be an NHL d man is a work in progress. He is slowly gaining their trust, but has a long way to go. The question has always been with big Mac is whether or not he can play with pace, be quick enough with gap control, and make safe breakout passes. The answer to those questions is undetermined at this point.
Augar is a better player then MacDermid will ever be. He can take a regular shift and play on pp ( he score a preseason goal as proof) wheather he can be a physical player up here is not proven but at least he can play a regular shift.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Augar is a better player then MacDermid will ever be. He can take a regular shift and play on pp ( he score a preseason goal as proof) wheather he can be a physical player up here is not proven but at least he can play a regular shift.

I'm a fan of both Auger and MacDermid, though MacDermid has proven he can play at the NHL level. He's looked solid in his first couple of games even if he had limited ice-time.

With Auger yeah, he looked pretty good in the pre-season (He even had a goal like you said) but so did MacDermid. I would not be surprised to see Auger got called up later this year if injuries pile up.

Why is MacDermid playing tonight you ask? Odds are it's going to be a pretty physical game and thats the game he plays. Plus the two games we've played so far have been solid, why change whats not broken?

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I'm a fan of both Auger and MacDermid, though MacDermid has proven he can play at the NHL level. He's looked solid in his first couple of games even if he had limited ice-time.

With Auger yeah, he looked pretty good in the pre-season (He even had a goal like you said) but so did MacDermid. I would not be surprised to see Auger got called up later this year if injuries pile up.

Why is MacDermid playing tonight you ask? Odds are it's going to be a pretty physical game and thats the game he plays. Plus the two games we've played so far have been solid, why change whats not broken?

I disagree with you saying he has proven he can play at the nhl level Until he plays a regular shift how can you think he is proven? that makes no sense to me. I get hes a rookie and he needs to be brought along slowly totally agree but when your winning 4 1 and your still not getting mins something is wrong with the player.

I agree Auger the first forward recalled. Yes both have scored a goal preseason however i put more value on Auger because it was on the pp something the kings need to do more.

I get why he plays against ducks flames and maybe the sharks. The team needs his physical play However every other games he should be back in the ahl working on getting better to gain a regular shift. Times have changed in the nhl players need to play regular shifts and MacDermid so far has shown he can't do it.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I disagree with you saying he has proven he can play at the nhl level Until he plays a regular shift how can you think he is proven? that makes no sense to me. I get hes a rookie and he needs to be brought along slowly totally agree but when your winning 4 1 and your still not getting mins something is wrong with the player.

I agree Auger the first forward recalled. Yes both have scored a goal preseason however i put more value on Auger because it was on the pp something the kings need to do more.

I get why he plays against ducks flames and maybe the sharks. The team needs his physical play However every other games he should be back in the ahl working on getting better to gain a regular shift. Times have changed in the nhl players need to play regular shifts and MacDermid so far has shown he can't do it.
Auger would not be playing on the PP if he made the team. I'm not even sure if he'd be on the PK. He got those minutes because he was on the B Squad that didn't make the trip to China.

MacDermid has not been given the chance to play big minutes yet, from the limited ice-time that he played he's looked solid. He's averaging about 13 shifts a game, Doughty's first games he got 19. Not a huge difference from two drastically different players.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Auger would not be playing on the PP if he made the team. I'm not even sure if he'd be on the PK. He got those minutes because he was on the B Squad that didn't make the trip to China.

MacDermid has not been given the chance to play big minutes yet, from the limited ice-time that he played he's looked solid. He's averaging about 13 shifts a game, Doughty's first games he got 19. Not a huge difference from two drastically different players.

I think he would be a 3rd pp option and when a shake up or injury he would move up as needed The point is he has shown he can do it. He plays top 6 mins in ontario. He would play a regular shift when called up.

That is my whole point why hasn't he? especially in a 4 1 winning game. That is the perfect time to get him mins yet he was on the bench most of the 3rd period. If the game was close ok i can see it but up by 3 wtf ? I saw him make a couple of decent hits and passes. However till he can get at least 14 mins a game I'm not going to be happy with him on the team.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Auger is a 3rd line role player in the AHL. MacDermid was a first line pairing on D in the AHL. As two players I have seen play about 60 games each live, I couldn't disagree more. Now, that being said, I'm not convinced MacDermid is going to be an everyday 5-6 D man in the NHL based upon what I have previously said. Auger does have a decent set of hands, but he does not have the quickness or the hockey IQ to be an NHLer. His consistency level is extremely poor. He constantly is making dumb decisions with the puck. When receiving pucks on the fly, they often bounce off his stick. It takes about a week to wind up to shoot, but he does have an underrated wrist shot IF he can get it off. It's very often blocked. Also good at deflections in front of the net. He had a decent season two years ago, and regressed significantly last year. He did have a good camp, I agree. But his first game out of the chute in the AHLer was again plagued with the same issues that always cause him to lose favor.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Auger is a 3rd line role player in the AHL. MacDermid was a first line pairing on D in the AHL. As two players I have seen play about 60 games each live, I couldn't disagree more. Now, that being said, I'm not convinced MacDermid is going to be an everyday 5-6 D man in the NHL based upon what I have previously said. Auger does have a decent set of hands, but he does not have the quickness or the hockey IQ to be an NHLer. His consistency level is extremely poor. He constantly is making dumb decisions with the puck. When receiving pucks on the fly, they often bounce off his stick. It takes about a week to wind up to shoot, but he does have an underrated wrist shot IF he can get it off. It's very often blocked. Also good at deflections in front of the net. He had a decent season two years ago, and regressed significantly last year. He did have a good camp, I agree. But his first game out of the chute in the AHLer was again plagued with the same issues that always cause him to lose favor.

I give you the fact u have seen both play more then i have as i don't see the ahl games as much as i would like to. (more like i'm to cheap to buy the ahl package.) However from what i have seen and hilghites of games Auger seem the better player to me and would fit in the kings better then MacDermid has so far. He seems to get the gritty goals in the hard to get to areas of the ice a thing the kings need desperately. He is also now playing with a skilled center (Amadio at least according to twitter) Your stating his wirst shot is good if he gets it off is something i noticed. also the deflection abillity is very much lacking on our team.

MacDermid has made a few good hits and one decent fight. However until he plays a full shift he no more then a goon to me and they need to go out of the nhl. Mac is also know for some dirty hits in his stay in the ahl I personally don't like that sorta rep on the kings.

If it was up to me i would consider demoting Kempe ( make him play first line center till he gets it) and MacDermid and bring up Auger and Gravel (till martinez is ready) and move dowd to center with cammy and auger on 3 rw

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I can't stand the Flames. As a long time Kings fan I've always hated them. Their fanbase always thinks they're better than they are.

Reactions: Reaper45

123slam

Dec 28, 2006

I can't even read your posts without wincing. Take a second to spell things properly and collect your thoughts, please.

Kings win 3-2 in OT. Carter with GWG.

Reactions: SoulAssassin

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Not taking anything away from MacD, because he earned his spot with an excellent preseason. But if LaDue was playing anything like he is capable of, he would obviously be in the lineup. Both Gravel and LaDue fell apart so to speak. Credit MacD for grasping the opportunity, but really he shouldn't see much more than the 6-8 minutes he's getting right now.

Even if he gets displaced, I would still love to see him stay on the roster. He's shown he has the potential to be that bruising d-man we miss, he's not there yet though.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm ready for the rollercoaster.
CdRlZ98.gif

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Some of you guys are making too much of MacD's ice time. Stevens isn't playing him much because he doesn't have to. The schedule is very light until they hit the road so the bottom guys aren't needed yet.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Lol ok reaper you got me i had to find a new one WTF i call it as i see it the same way you do . I said the same thing when Ivannas or harrold anyone who doesn't take a regular shift or one that gets to many shifts (aka king)

He's a rookie and it's been TWO games. Realx.

And everyone expecting something to happen to woodchuck, you're going to be disappointed unless he does something in the game tonight. Even then, he would run from MacDermid like a bitch with a skinned knee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad