GDT: GM#27 LA Kings vs St. Louis Blues @5:00

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
C'mon now Herby...that last line is pretty hyperbolic. None of that is true unless you want to put a qualifier on the particular seasons as opposed to implying that all those things are better with this team than the 2012-14 teams. Better than the last three years? Sure, but not all of it.

Who are the new guys that Blake brought in with all of this speed? Iafallo? Love the guy and I'll give Blake credit for closing the deal but, again, Blake didn't walk in the door and let the existing scouting staff in on this secret kid he'd been scouting. Folin had long been linked to the Kings. I will give credit for Keumper over the uninspired Zatkoff move from last season and for correcting his first mistake which was to sign MC.

I know you are extremely happy that Lombardi is gone and I understand that; however, this is a Sutter being gone thing much more than a Blake/Stevens thing. Hell, Andreoff needed to be KO'd before Stevens stopped trotting him out there all the time.

Blake has done very little to the current team on the ice. It was up to the guys who were already here to play better and they are. If we are going to point out that Brown/Kopitar/Quick were Taylor draft picks, I'm not going to praise Blake yet. Now that I said that, maybe we should be singing the praises of Al Murray and Dave Taylor since those three guys are crushing it this year.

Yes Blake didn't get rid of the scouting staff which did great in discovering Fantenberg and Iafallo, but come on. Sutter/Lombardi would not have a player with ZERO professional games under his belt make the team out of camp, much less first line minutes next to Kopitar. At least in Fantenberg's case he was playing in the KHL. At least give Blake/Stevens some credit here.

Reactions: Sol

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
C'mon now Herby...that last line is pretty hyperbolic. None of that is true unless you want to put a qualifier on the particular seasons as opposed to implying that all those things are better with this team than the 2012-14 teams. Better than the last three years? Sure, but not all of it.

Who are the new guys that Blake brought in with all of this speed? Iafallo? Love the guy and I'll give Blake credit for closing the deal but, again, Blake didn't walk in the door and let the existing scouting staff in on this secret kid he'd been scouting. Folin had long been linked to the Kings. I will give credit for Keumper over the uninspired Zatkoff move from last season and for correcting his first mistake which was to sign MC.

I know you are extremely happy that Lombardi is gone and I understand that; however, this is a Sutter being gone thing much more than a Blake/Stevens thing. Hell, Andreoff needed to be KO'd before Stevens stopped trotting him out there all the time.

Blake has done very little to the current team on the ice. It was up to the guys who were already here to play better and they are. If we are going to point out that Brown/Kopitar/Quick were Taylor draft picks, I'm not going to praise Blake yet. Now that I said that, maybe we should be singing the praises of Al Murray and Dave Taylor since those three guys are crushing it this year.
This again... <sigh>...

You don’t like Blake for leaving after the team low balled him, we get it. You won’t get over it, fine understand why, it only affects you anyway. However it makes your assessment of Blake daft at times.

This is not a dig at Lombardi, I love the guy, how could I not he’s the best GM we ever had by a mile but this s where Blake deserves credit :

1. Blake stuck with Futa and the scouting team. That’s a good call in itself. I’ve worked as a director that’s had a new VP installed above me several times. They all restructure and change stuff to make their mark, the ones that change the most tend to do the worst job.

2. Iafallo will have been scouted by the DL regime. However he’d be one of many names scouted by the organisation. There will be a whole bunch of guys with NHL potential that we didn’t sign. Who is to say Dean would have made the call to even sign Iafallo? Maybe the contract goes to a free agent vet instead, we don’t know. Same for Fantenberg and Peterson.

3. Assuming DL signs Iafallo, there is zero chance he makes the opening night roster and no way DS puts him on the top line. None. He likely wouldn’t get even a look until after Christmas. Blake has shown that he will give youth a chance which in itself will be a big help in trying to sign guys out of college in the Future.

4. He’s learned from DL who got criticism for his backing of DS. DL was maybe too loyal but he’s learned that to be successful the GM and coach have to be a tight team. DL had that correct. Blake and Stevens are clearly on the same page and you can tell that by the way Stevens uses call ups and the pieces Blake has picked up. They’ve all been given the chance to define a role for themselves and trusted with icetime if their play has justified it.

5. Blake got grief for ‘jobs for the boys’ when he signed Cammy. Iafallos play made Cammy surplus to requirements so he moved him for someone that was a much better fit. There is no way DL makes that move, he’d much more likely have sent the Oilers a pick and Cammy sits. Blake can make the big calls, despite personal relationships. Yes Cammy seemed ok with it, but he could see life as a healthy scratch was on the cards.

Blake is still a long way from being a success. He needs to show he can stay the course when things go wrong and pressure mounts. Will he make good decisions when his job is on the line, when the season hinges on the right deadline day deal? Right now he’s in the honeymoon period still.

However, so far he’s done a great job. I’m as interested in the decisions he didn’t make. Not tearing things down and hiring his own people in every position shows confidence. Keeping Stevens was a huge call for him. If Stevens, who is in his own honeymoon period, falls apart Blake will get slaughtered for not cleaning house. It started just a few games ago during the poor Home stand. The easy call would have been to can him, as it’s a decision that would be very easy to defend and justify. So far it looks a good call but we need to see Stevens can keep the team focused for a full season before we start giving Blake any awards. We also don’t know what, if any, deals for Brown he was offered and didn’t pull the trigger on. There could be a great call behind the scenes that we should be celebrating. He didn’t move Kempe either or make a panic deal when Carter went down.

It’s a case of ‘very good start’ at the moment, but it’s just the start. You are trying to sell him short because he hurt your feeling years ago. If you let it go you’ll probably find you enjoy the season far more. We mostly expected to be in the discussion for a lottery pick. Now we all have hope for something special, so how can he have done anything but a great job. So far.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
2-0 at home against the Metro, 1.000
2-0 on the road against the Metro, 1.000
4-1 on the road against the Atlantic, .800
4-2 at home against the Atlantic, .667
2-1-1 on the road against the Pacific, .625
1-1 on the road against the Central, .500
1-2-1 at home against the Pacific, .375
0-1-1 at home against the Central .250

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Let's spend more time arguing against one another after a great 4-1 win on the road against the Blues, whose scoring chances and shot totals tonight would've made Terry Murray proud. Being right on the internet is way more fun that celebrating a victory! :popcorn:
Seriously. Kings are first in the Pacific, 1 point off the NHL lead, let’s argue with each other about the bottom six! Again.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Seriously. Kings are first in the Pacific, 1 point off the NHL lead, let’s argue with each other about the bottom six! Again.
Jokinen and Gaborik have helped stabilize the bottom 6, while Kempe breaks out. Lewis is taking his offensive game up a notch, Brodzinski is finally scoring... some... now let’s see what Mitchell does .... oh and I wonder how much of an impact that Carter guy will have in the team lol... now about that defense !

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yes Blake didn't get rid of the scouting staff which did great in discovering Fantenberg and Iafallo, but come on. Sutter/Lombardi would not have a player with ZERO professional games under his belt make the team out of camp, much less first line minutes next to Kopitar. At least in Fantenberg's case he was playing in the KHL. At least give Blake/Stevens some credit here.

I’m sure all Blake did was sit on his thumbs, then prayed to the hockey gods. He never lifted a single finger to do anything to improve the team.

Arguing with the Blake haters is like having to have a civil discussion with a scorned ex. These guys are like jilted exgirlfriends.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

As I remember it, Sutter wanted Kempe kept up after camp last year.

Though I generally agree with the sentiment that Blake/Stevens are clearly a bit more open to change.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
As I remember it, Sutter wanted Kempe kept up after camp last year.

Though I generally agree with the sentiment that Blake/Stevens are clearly a bit more open to change.

Then Sutter played him with top 6 teammates for like 5 seconds (yes, hyperbole) before relegating him to garbage linemates. Sutter's line-blender could be frustrating. Look, every coach does it, but he would change them in the same damn game. Let's try Kempe with Kopitar or Carter this game. By the second period, he's was on the 4th line. Welp, that experiment is over. His patience was thin with youngsters...who were forwards. If you were a defenseman, it was completely different. Let's try McNabb with Doughty...for 40 games. And Sutter would have never paired Kopi with Brown again. Anyway, beating a dead horse. But let's not forget that Blake also signed TT and Pearson to friendly contracts as well. So far, Blake has done well. Ultimately he'll be judged if this team can get back into the playoffs and make some noise.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
The top 6 last year had Dwight King in it more times then not (go back and look at ice time if you don't believe me) Now we have him gone This alone would be a net gain for us but replacing him with Iafallo someone with actual top 6 skill is a massive upgrade

Reactions: deaderhead28

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Then Sutter played him with top 6 teammates for like 5 seconds (yes, hyperbole) before relegating him to garbage linemates. Sutter's line-blender could be frustrating. Look, every coach does it, but he would change them in the same damn game. Let's try Kempe with Kopitar or Carter this game. By the second period, he's was on the 4th line. Welp, that experiment is over. His patience was thin with youngsters...who were forwards. If you were a defenseman, it was completely different. Let's try McNabb with Doughty...for 40 games. And Sutter would have never paired Kopi with Brown again. Anyway, beating a dead horse. But let's not forget that Blake also signed TT and Pearson to friendly contracts as well. So far, Blake has done well. Ultimately he'll be judged if this team can get back into the playoffs and make some noise.

We're also not far removed from Blake being accused of dumpster diving with Cammalleri and Jokinen, and Stevens' lineup decisions being derided.

Like you said, everyone does it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The top 6 last year had Dwight King in it more times then not (go back and look at ice time if you don't believe me) Now we have him gone This alone would be a net gain for us but replacing him with Iafallo someone with actual top 6 skill is a massive upgrade

It's comical to see how many various combinations Sutter ended up going with last season. I get that coaches mix things up here and there, but good lord was last season a mess.

DobberHockey Presents FrozenPool's NHL Line Combinations

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Seeing king in the top six playing 14 -18 mins a game was frustrating. I still don't get why anyone from the ahl didn't get a shot Someone had to be better then king

There were players that were 'better' I'm sure but King was ol' reliable for Sutter which makes more sense in a low-risk system than some of the youth did. I can understand that decision even if everyone disagrees with it.

INB4 "reliably terrible."

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
There's a reason King isn't playing in this league anymore. The fact that he played so much last year shows how out of touch Sutter was (and DL for that matter). Its nice to see the youth getting a chance, which was long overdue. It also helps that there's perhaps a little less pressure to succeed this year than there was in prior seasons.

Reactions: Herby

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
This again... <sigh>...

You don’t like Blake for leaving after the team low balled him, we get it. You won’t get over it, fine understand why, it only affects you anyway. However it makes your assessment of Blake daft at times.

This is not a dig at Lombardi, I love the guy, how could I not he’s the best GM we ever had by a mile but this s where Blake deserves credit :

1. Blake stuck with Futa and the scouting team. That’s a good call in itself. I’ve worked as a director that’s had a new VP installed above me several times. They all restructure and change stuff to make their mark, the ones that change the most tend to do the worst job.

2. Iafallo will have been scouted by the DL regime. However he’d be one of many names scouted by the organisation. There will be a whole bunch of guys with NHL potential that we didn’t sign. Who is to say Dean would have made the call to even sign Iafallo? Maybe the contract goes to a free agent vet instead, we don’t know. Same for Fantenberg and Peterson.

3. Assuming DL signs Iafallo, there is zero chance he makes the opening night roster and no way DS puts him on the top line. None. He likely wouldn’t get even a look until after Christmas. Blake has shown that he will give youth a chance which in itself will be a big help in trying to sign guys out of college in the Future.

4. He’s learned from DL who got criticism for his backing of DS. DL was maybe too loyal but he’s learned that to be successful the GM and coach have to be a tight team. DL had that correct. Blake and Stevens are clearly on the same page and you can tell that by the way Stevens uses call ups and the pieces Blake has picked up. They’ve all been given the chance to define a role for themselves and trusted with icetime if their play has justified it.

5. Blake got grief for ‘jobs for the boys’ when he signed Cammy. Iafallos play made Cammy surplus to requirements so he moved him for someone that was a much better fit. There is no way DL makes that move, he’d much more likely have sent the Oilers a pick and Cammy sits. Blake can make the big calls, despite personal relationships. Yes Cammy seemed ok with it, but he could see life as a healthy scratch was on the cards.

Blake is still a long way from being a success. He needs to show he can stay the course when things go wrong and pressure mounts. Will he make good decisions when his job is on the line, when the season hinges on the right deadline day deal? Right now he’s in the honeymoon period still.

However, so far he’s done a great job. I’m as interested in the decisions he didn’t make. Not tearing things down and hiring his own people in every position shows confidence. Keeping Stevens was a huge call for him. If Stevens, who is in his own honeymoon period, falls apart Blake will get slaughtered for not cleaning house. It started just a few games ago during the poor Home stand. The easy call would have been to can him, as it’s a decision that would be very easy to defend and justify. So far it looks a good call but we need to see Stevens can keep the team focused for a full season before we start giving Blake any awards. We also don’t know what, if any, deals for Brown he was offered and didn’t pull the trigger on. There could be a great call behind the scenes that we should be celebrating. He didn’t move Kempe either or make a panic deal when Carter went down.

It’s a case of ‘very good start’ at the moment, but it’s just the start. You are trying to sell him short because he hurt your feeling years ago. If you let it go you’ll probably find you enjoy the season far more. We mostly expected to be in the discussion for a lottery pick. Now we all have hope for something special, so how can he have done anything but a great job. So far.

It's already reported that Blake isn't in a Honeymoon period and is in the hot seat If Kings don't make the playoffs as he should be.Don't hate me hate the business. The team has a chance to contend if Blake fills the top 4 defenseman hole and or top 6 winger.Depth is still a issue with the team.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
We're also not far removed from Blake being accused of dumpster diving with Cammalleri and Jokinen, and Stevens' lineup decisions being derided.

Like you said, everyone does it.
Nothing personal but yeah Blake was Dumpster Diving.Still hasn't filled the holes for the Kings to contend.As I just said above, Kings have depth issues.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I have to admit I am really digging the Squid + Jokinen swap. He helps anchor that bottom 6 and can play in all roles - something Squid was pretty much the opposite... ie a one trick pony.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
BigKing,

Respect your opinion as you know, but I think you are way wrong on this one.

The Kings have 6 goals off the rush in 3 games on this trip. Two from the first line, one from the 2nd line, two from the 3rd line and one from the 4th line. Sorry but zero chance that is possible playing Sutter/Lombardi hockey. That is a month's worth of rush goals last season. The personnel is better, the strategy is better, the morale clearly seems better, the players are put in spots where they can succeed and be creative. This team was so poorly coached and managed the previous three seasons it's like night and day. You can't win in 2017-2018 playing the type of game the Kings were trying to play the previous three seasons, this is a speed and skill league now, not a dump and chase, grind it out heavy game that those guys loved playing.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
On the other hand, he has more than half the points King had all year.
Fishy I can't believe I will admit we agree on the Kings for the first time in many many years lately hailing back from our days on Let's GO Kings lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00