Pre-Game Talk: GM#11:Feb7th,2013|Toronto @ Atlanta|Road trip continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soble

Jan 12, 2012
Toronto
I’ll pipe in, I’ve lived in both cities. Leaf fans asking “why does everyone hate us?†is a bit naïve. Growing up in the Peg, in the 80s and 90s there was HUGE resentment/jealously toward anything Toronto. You’d turn on HNIC and it would be a Leafs game EVERY week. You’d tune into Sportscentre (SportsDesk at the time) and the lead story would be “Leafs third-line centre left practice due to a small finger injury. Oh ya and by the way there was a big showdown between the Jets and ____â€. Admittedly TSN got much better at this through the years. TSN would show as many Leaf games as possible, every Leafs game was on TV in Toronto, while in Winnipeg we’d get 12-15 Jets games on TV per year, mixed between a couple HNIC, a couple TSN, and maybe 10 from the local station. Call it business, population, demand, whatever – it still annoyed fans of the Jets (and other Canadian teams) and made us feel like second class citizens.

I’ve remained a non-fan of Toronto teams/fans despite living here. We could go on about Leafs mis-management and their fans’ over-enthusiasm (except in the ACC’s lower bowl, which is like a morgue) but already been said. I am especially annoyed at Toronto’s unwillingness to support the CFL, but that is far off topic for this thread.

The return of the Jets is an awesome story, selling out 13,000 season tickets for 5 years in 5 minutes, with an 8,000 person full waiting list shortly after shows that the fans there are committed. The building is absolutely electric every night.

Buddy at work just did a survey of most annoying fans (3-2-1 voting, 41 voters spread out in Canada). No surprise:
1st Leafs 60pts
1st Habs 60pts
3rd Canucks 49pts
4th Flames 30pts
5th Senators 21pts
6th Oilers 13pts
7th Jets 9pts
8th Nordiques 4pts
(The Nordiques votes came from Montrealers, of course).

Just having some fun. :cheers:

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets

Leaf lines: jvr-bozak-kessel. Macarthur, kadri, frattin. kulemin-grabo-komarov. Mcclement-steckel-orr.

Leaf pairings: phaneuf-kostka. Liles-holzer. Franson-fraser

#tmltalk

Komarov with Grabo and Kulie - I like it!

I don't mind the lines; but MacArthur should not be near developing players. The guy has horrible chemistry.

I would prefer:

JVR - Kadri - Frattin
MacArthur - Grabo - Kessel
Kulemin - Bozak - Komarov
Orr - McClement - Brown

Dec 6, 2011
I’ll pipe in, I’ve lived in both cities. Leaf fans asking “why does everyone hate us?” is a bit naïve. Growing up in the Peg, in the 80s and 90s there was HUGE resentment/jealously toward anything Toronto. You’d turn on HNIC and it would be a Leafs game EVERY week. You’d tune into Sportscentre (SportsDesk at the time) and the lead story would be “Leafs third-line centre left practice due to a small finger injury. Oh ya and by the way there was a big showdown between the Jets and ____”. Admittedly TSN got much better at this through the years. TSN would show as many Leaf games as possible, every Leafs game was on TV in Toronto, while in Winnipeg we’d get 12-15 Jets games on TV per year, mixed between a couple HNIC, a couple TSN, and maybe 10 from the local station. Call it business, population, demand, whatever – it still annoyed fans of the Jets (and other Canadian teams) and made us feel like second class citizens.

I’ve remained a non-fan of Toronto teams/fans despite living here. We could go on about Leafs mis-management and their fans’ over-enthusiasm (except in the ACC’s lower bowl, which is like a morgue) but already been said. I am especially annoyed at Toronto’s unwillingness to support the CFL, but that is far off topic for this thread.

The return of the Jets is an awesome story, selling out 13,000 season tickets for 5 years in 5 minutes, with an 8,000 person full waiting list shortly after shows that the fans there are committed. The building is absolutely electric every night.

Buddy at work just did a survey of most annoying fans (3-2-1 voting, 41 voters spread out in Canada). No surprise:
1st Leafs 60pts
1st Habs 60pts
3rd Canucks 49pts
4th Flames 30pts
5th Senators 21pts
6th Oilers 13pts
7th Jets 9pts
8th Nordiques 4pts
(The Nordiques votes came from Montrealers, of course).

Just having some fun. :cheers:

Those results seem to directly correlate with the relative size of the fanbases, so this isn't particularly surprising. If 1 in every 100 hockey fans (for example) is annoying, then most of the annoying fans will be annoying while cheering for popular teams.

I get your point, though. But, doesn't it feel strange having such a one-sided emotional rivalry?

(EDIT: Also, not trying to antagonize. I appreciate the honest comment and understand the source of the emotion towards the Leafs now (earlier I had no idea), just curious as to whether Jets fans are actually hopign for a rivalry, or if it is just a love-to-hate situation regardless)

Last edited:

IBLEAF

In the sh-itter @ Scotia bank place
Nov 5, 2009
BARRY'S BAY
Do what to myself? There is absolutely nothing in this conversation to do anything to. Yes, JVR has more goals than anyone on the Jets team. Where did all those goals get you? One more point in one more game played. Not exactly anything to feel superior about.

Given your posts here you must TOUCH yourself alot!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad