Confirmed with Link: Glencross to Capitals for 2015 2nd+3rd rounders

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Something tells me you would have said the same thing this summer about their ability to score during the regular season given the makeup of the forward group going into this year. What are they doing it with magic?

It's fine, we disagree. It'll be that much more fun for you to point out how wrong I am in May/June when we're averaging 3+ goals a game.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
It will slow down if backstrom and ovechkin are stopped/ slowed down. You act like those two don't count as a part of our offense all you want you know that doesn't make any sense. Do you think you can spend the money to have the best goalscorer in the world and a top 5 center and still be flawless in every other aspect of the team? Our only weakness is the second line, lighten up.

Ovie scored 14 points in a series that we lost. 1 player is not enough in this team sport. Not having an entire 2nd line is a pretty big f'ing flaw.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It's fine, we disagree. It'll be that much more fun for you to point out how wrong I am in May/June when we're averaging 3+ goals a game.

I guess I am in the wait and see camp. This summer I would definitely have said I didn't think this team would be scoring at the clip they have been this season but they are. So I am going to actually give them a chance to keep it up in the playoffs. Saying there isn't a chance they keep it up makes little sense to me but whatever...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
8 and 19 are dominating the league in goals and points and we....want to split them up? Why??

Maybe because Nick is a big boy who can shoot but won't when he is skating with Ovi? Regardless, haven't we seen this same song and dance before?

No 2nd line, no 2nd series playoff wins.

Why do posters pretend like separating them has to be a permanent thing?

We need a goal BAM they are back together before you can type the word BAM. There is literally no risk in trying to build a 2nd line yet it gets so much resistance.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Maybe because Nick is a big boy who can shoot but won't when he is skating with Ovi? Regardless, haven't we seen this same song and dance before?

No 2nd line, no 2nd series playoff wins.

Why do posters pretend like separating them has to be a permanent thing?

We need a goal BAM they are back together before you can type the word BAM. There is literally no risk in trying to build a 2nd line yet it gets so much resistance.

I've always been behind splitting up 19/8... at least until we get a real second line. I think 8-92-90 and 22-19-16 is a hell of a lot more balanced than what we have now.

Throughout the game you can reunite 19/8 on offensive draws, down a goal, stuff like that.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Ovie scored 14 points in a series that we lost. 1 player is not enough in this team sport. Not having an entire 2nd line is a pretty big f'ing flaw.
our biggest flaw that series was our goaltending and our defense. both of which have been addressed.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
When Ron Wilson was being interviewed on the TSN "Pre-Deadline" show on Sunday night he remarked that he was never consulted about the players the General Managers traded for at the TDL. He basically said he was given the players and the task to make it work. I can see McPhee being like that but still a little surprised. The little that I know about the BMAC/Trotz relationship, I don't see Trotz being left in the dark but rather providing considerable input in to the roster. This is just the beginning of these two shaping this team.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
And we had arguably a better goaltender than we have now. And a far better forward group.

Lots of variables not under the control of just two players.

I said it in the other thread
Our 1st line > most other teams' 1st line
Our 2nd line < most other teams' 2nd line
Our 3rd line > most other teams' 3rd line
Our 4th line > most other teams' 4th line

Our D > or = most other teams D
Our G > or = most other teams G

And Glencross just made #2 closer and strengthened the 4th line in the process

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
And we had arguably a better goaltender than we have now.

How do you figure? The Caps went into those playoffs with Theodore and his .900 save% as their number 1. And while Varlamov was great against the Rangers he wasn't really all that against the Pens.

IMO as sad as it is to say Holtby is way more established playing well for this team than either of those guys were.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
How do you figure? The Caps went into those playoffs with Theodore and his .900 save% as their number 1. And while Varlamov was great against the Rangers he wasn't really all that against the Pens.

IMO as sad as it is to say Holtby is way more established playing well for this team than either of those guys were.

In my opinion, which can be wrong from time to time, I think Varlamov was and is a better goaltender than Holtby. I don't give much value to Varlamov's #s that series because as we all remember, his defense was garbage, (I think I remember that) Morrisonn and Jurcina were playing injured, and we were playing full throttle fun 'n gun.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
In my opinion, which can be wrong from time to time, I think Varlamov was and is a better goaltender than Holtby. I don't give much value to Varlamov's #s that series because as we all remember, his defense was garbage, (I think I remember that) Morrisonn and Jurcina were playing injured, and we were playing full throttle fun 'n gun.

So 6 games into his NHL career you thought he was better than Holtby is now?

I'm not saying Varlamov isn't now or will be going forward a better goalie but at that time he had proven nothing. Holtby at least has a little bit of a track record both in the regular season and playoffs.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Maybe we should at least wait to see Glencross in the lineup once before we make judgements on how good the forward group is or isn't. Maybe five or ten or fifteen or even twenty games would be better.

For sure Glencross pushes someone down. That's good. It makes the bottom lines more dangerous, even if the second line is a lateral move.

I suspect Gleason playing close to 20 minutes a night will come back to bite them. He's better than Hillen, but still not up to that kind of workload IMO. I do get a kick out of his patented spin-and-whack move that he used almost every rush up his side of the ice against Toronto.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

so you admit defense was the problem?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I said it in the other thread
Our 1st line > most other teams' 1st line
Our 2nd line < most other teams' 2nd line
Our 3rd line > most other teams' 3rd line
Our 4th line > most other teams' 4th line

Our D > or = most other teams D
Our G > or = most other teams G

And Glencross just made #2 closer and strengthened the 4th line in the process

This about sums it up.

Most teams are flawed in some respect or another. In a salary cap era you are going to have warts.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
Defense is too loosey-goosey (at times) for my liking. Gets trapped too easily. Too many break aways. Hope they fix it before the PO's.

The Beagle line was the a real problem for the Jackets - size matters. Kuzi was overpowered and muscled off the puck. GlenX played okay yet still better than Laich - hope both improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad