Confirmed with Link: Glencross to Capitals for 2015 2nd+3rd rounders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think drive was the issue for some of those guys. Certainly not Glencross or Brouwer. They both played hard. Brouwer repeatedly sold out to block shots or pick of passes, worked hard along the boards and in front of the net, and hustled pretty much every shift. Glencross skated hard, worked the corners, and was generally involved in the play. The problem is the lack of skill and hockey sense. Brouwer can't handle a puck to save his life, and Glencross was just plain dumb half the time. Both of them were absolute garbage on the breakout, making awful decisions with the puck.

Chimera has the drive, but he's not a particularly crafty player either. He has the benefit of being in sync with Ward, so they work well together, and his speed can create space that Brouwer and Glencross couldn't. However, there were times where Chimmer was clearly out of sync with Kuznetsov. I remember one rush last night where Kuzy didn't pass to Chimmer and then Chimmer just sat near the crease. I get that you're supposed to go near the net, but that wasn't the play Kuznetsov was going for, and it ended up leaving 92 no options with the puck. I like Chimmer, but his time may be expiring. :(

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't think GlenX played as hard as he could. He either lacked confidence or was in a haze most of the time.

The rest of the guys gave 100%. He's the lone exception based on what I saw and I was very dissappointed in that based on what I had seen and heard about him in the past.

The healthy scratches must have got into his head and instead of coming out with renewed determination (like Chimera and Burakovsky) he seemed to mope.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Huge shocker that a player that moped about his role in Calgary would mope about a less than expected role.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Huge shocker that a player that moped about his role in Calgary would mope about a less than expected role.

Bingo. As soon as Trotz demoted him his play took a nosedive. Not the other way around. He's been playing out the string before moving on in the offseason.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have to say I thought his first demotion was not warranted. He had looked as good as any winger not named Ovi, albeit in a short sample. Once demoted, he struggled.

He got quite a few quality scoring chances in the playoffs in a limited role. Sure he had that one big gaffe but he also scored a huge goal.

I thought he was a wise pickup, since at the time Bura seemed on the outs, and Hershey really had nothing to help when injuries hit in a 28 game cup run.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I have to say I thought his first demotion was not warranted. He had looked as good as any winger not named Ovi, albeit in a short sample. Once demoted, he struggled.

He got quite a few quality scoring chances in the playoffs in a limited role. Sure he had that one big gaffe but he also scored a huge goal.

I thought he was a wise pickup, since at the time Bura seemed on the outs, and Hershey really had nothing to help when injuries hit in a 28 game cup run.

Pretty much this. Trotz scapegoated the player in the regular season and it was downhill from there. Good pickup followed up by poor roster management in this case. Easy to see why he struggled after being dumped on. Oh well, he's gone, another wasted deadline deal.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Another awful deadline deal. 2+3 for a guy who whiffed on more scoring chances than Chris Davis in a slump.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
My first impression is that this is overpayment for a player that helps the middle of the lineup some, and it needs a big splash move up top to make the "all in" campaign look like something more than a continuation of McPhee's escalating tendency to mortgage the future with half-measures.

...and my opinion has not changed 2.5 months later.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Clutching that "I told you so" carrot tightly and for a long time... Lol.

No actually I forgot what I'd even said and looked it up when someone bumped this thread. Now apparently we're talking about this deal with some actual context.

I'm tempted to lock it if it's going to be a problem.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Glencross was a ******** half measure and it cost us the Cup imo...

Next time sack up.

My hatred for Glencross, the heartless ****er, is at Nylander/Jagr levels...

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
...and my opinion has not changed 2.5 months later.

There are too many people and too many posts to remember who said what and when and I think it's good if you got something right to go and find the thing and quote it and say so.

And yeah, moping. I would think it wouldn't take like a whole lot of moping to just lose enough of an edge to not be effective at this level. I'll buy the moping after scratches theory. But man he started out scoring goals and it looked alright at first.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
My main beef at the time was that the Caps are not enough of a threat to justify paying for rentals. Curiously, the Caps ended up playing better than I expected, but then GlenX's contributions went off a cliff.

At this point I'm just thankful that the magnitude of this particular failure is tolerable. Could've traded 1st+ for a guy like Vermette, something tells me he would've bombed with the Caps, too.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Tampa, Chicago and NYR traded firsts and seem to be doing OK...not gonna pin their success on the guys they picked up but sometimes an org needs to signal to itself, and to the world, "our time is now"...

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
it would have been nice to have those pics come draft day to possibly add as trade bait. But oh well. He made me think twice for about 2 weeks, but that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad