Confirmed with Link: Glen Gulutzan named head coach

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I dont have to. I got the privilege of watching him coaching the Stars live for two seasons.

Pretty damn sure, there wasnt much to cheer for.

But who knows...maybe he learned how to run a power play since

Usually the HC doesn't run powerplays, the AC's do. Which is exactly why Tre and Gul said his AC will be a special teams expert.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Happy wife happy life. Don't underestimate work-life balance and with nhl coaches on the road a lot, it will be huge for Glenn and his family to have the support they will in Calgary. Which means he shouldn't have much stressors at home which will be key as he concentrates on the flames.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Usually the HC doesn't run powerplays, the AC's do. Which is exactly why Tre and Gul said his AC will be a special teams expert.

OK hopefully the can find an AC that can run special teams.

moon*

I didn't mind the hiring before the press conference. He came across as a total 'yes man' though and I got the impression he was willing to say whatever he felt they wanted to hear.

Maybe I am totally wrong, but I'm not particularly convinced about him at the moment.

Have you seen a press conference where the coach didn't seem like a yes man or openly disagreed with the GM?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I didn't mind the hiring before the press conference. He came across as a total 'yes man' though and I got the impression he was willing to say whatever he felt they wanted to hear.

Maybe I am totally wrong, but I'm not particularly convinced about him at the moment.

You are not wrong. However, I interpreted it as Treliving and our new coach being in unison, and it makes sense. Treliving and Co. made a profile as for who they wanted. They went out and conducted a thorough search and found "their" guy. So in theory, everyone should be on the same page. Treliving wants a coach to be a certain way and Gully is supposed to be that guy. But without a doubt there's a PR aspect to it. He's a newer younger coach in the NHL, many in Calgary probably had never heard his name before yesterday, so there was that feel to the presser without question.

I like what I've seen, heard and read about him though. I really liked what Nieuwendyk had to say about him.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Only one thing had me worried, I read a Conroy quote that said "We wanted someone who fit with us, who we could have fun with". Uhh, we need a coach, not a new bro to join your secret club, maybe I read that wrong or something, just don't want the start of an old boys club.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Only one thing had me worried, I read a Conroy quote that said "We wanted someone who fit with us, who we could have fun with". Uhh, we need a coach, not a new bro to join your secret club, maybe I read that wrong or something, just don't want the start of an old boys club.
Have you ever had an effective work environment where you didn't get along with a coworker, an employee or a manager on a personal basis? It's simply not possible.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

An old boys club would be hiring Daymond Langkow or Jim Playfair. The old-timey way would be hiring some hard-ass coach who never talks to the GM. It's different nowadays. They want lots of integration.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think Treliving probably ever wanted Hartley to be perfectly honest. He wasn't his hire, it's obvious that Treliving wanted a very different coach at first opportunity. From a PR perspective, he couldn't have fired him when he got here. The city liked him and our team was playing well. I'm sure Bob and Brad talked lots, but he was never "his guy".

I do get it, it's not about hiring a buddy but more about adding someone who is "one of us" and someone who fits. The players will know this guy has the organization behind him and he's not going anywhere.

It's crazy how much the Flames have changed since Darryl was fired which really wasn't all that long ago. It's a completely different organization from top to bottom.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Have you ever had an effective work environment where you didn't get along with a coworker, an employee or a manager on a personal basis? It's simply not possible.

On the other hand, it's tough to work with a boss that favor his incompetent buddy

Not saying this is the case

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
:laugh: yes I get cohesion in the workplace. The thing I took a little issue with, is the word "fun". Fit in, sure. While GM's and coaches should have good relationships, I think they also need a certain level of respect, and a touch of clashing identities, we don't need yes men, on either side. But, that being said, maybe I just interpreted it the wrong way, I know Conny gets a little exuberant when he does interviews, so I'm not really worried.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
#Flames are beginning to interview asst coaches in BUF. Dave Cameron, Craig Berube and Dave Lowry among the candidates.

Tim Hunter was also mentioned by Francis.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty

I'm hearing ex Jets' AHL coach Keith McCambridge as assistant coach with Gulatzan in Calgary

JohnDingman

Sounds like a great players coach. I feel like he is better suited as an assistant then as a head coach but I guess we will wait and see. Hope he proves me wrong

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Michael Russo @Russostrib
Calgary makes sense twitter.com/andystrickland…
Andy Strickland @andystrickland
Former #Flyers Head Coach Craig Berube deciding between a Head job in #AHL or asst job in #NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00