Confirmed with Link: Glen Gulutzan named head coach

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I liked how he said basically he wants the team's identity to be that they play very well in all areas.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In the end, none of what he said really matters. I'm sure every coach wants their team to have the puck and wants them to work hard and play well and play smart in all areas of the ice. What matters is whether the team shows improvement this season.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
In the end, none of what he said really matters. I'm sure every coach wants their team to have the puck and wants them to work hard and play well and play smart in all areas of the ice. What matters is whether the team shows improvement this season.

Yeah, these pressers are really the bigger versions of "get more pucks to the net and continue to play our game" intermission interviews the players have to do.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, these pressers are really the bigger versions of "get more pucks to the net and continue to play our game" intermission interviews the players have to do.

I feel like it's mostly a "here's the guy you're going to have to listen to in pressers throughout the year."

I like him more than I thought I would.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I feel like it's mostly a "here's the guy you're going to have to listen to in pressers throughout the year."

I like him more than I thought I would.

So... Gulutzan has a soothing voice? :naughty:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Tre's built enough good faith to have me believing, so I'm happy. Although his MO seems to be "off the radar moves", we'll see how long that pays off. I like the fact that it's a younger, personable coach, for our young core.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Grouse grind felt like hopping rock to rock beside a river... uphill, but so many people. IMO it wasn't too bad, but my companion nearly passed out due to low blood sugar, I suspect. I probably should not have insisted to skip breakfast to beat the crowds... I also probably should have brought more than 1.5L of water for two people in the middle of summer (750mL each). :laugh:

Maybe they were testing to see if he can lead this years prospect hike. :laugh:

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
I like it. Wonder who the assistant will be. Read that Jared Bednar is a strong candidate right now. That would be a good choice. Just won the Calder cup.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm keep seeing something in between Dr Evil and skinny Elon Musk for Gulutzan...

May 27, 2012
Earth
Weird. Interim 2 year gap coach?

Why? They hired him with the intention of making him the head coach. Depending on what he does with the team, he could be a 1 year coach or 4 year coach.

We can't really say much since we haven't seen him coach the team yet.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Like what I heard from Gulutzan in the presser and the fan interview. Definitely saying the right things. Identified the strength of this team as being the offensive contributions from our Top 4 D. Spoke a bit about playing with greater tempo and having shot blocking as a last resort. Having a better penalty kill will do wonders for the Flames. They absolutely need to have a better start than last year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So far, I'm impressed by the guy. That being said, it's a long road until October for this team. Cannot wait for next Friday.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Joe Nieuwendyk hired him. So that's definitely a good sign. Seems like an easy guy to get along with. Our team seems like a bunch of 14 year olds so I think he will mesh with the team.

Aug 3, 2010
I'm chuckling at the thought of Jim Benning happily walking into his office this morning, after announcing Gulutzan's hiring by the Flames and how he's acquired a early third round pick as compensation, only to be told that it's not longer a policy in effect.

<shockedBenningface.jpg>

I know I expressed my preference for Reirden but Gulutzan was my third after Green. Not a fan of Dineen or Carlyle, of course. Either way, lip service has been paid by Treliving with regards to better advanced statistics and possession numbers and finding the right coach to push that strategy with Gulutzan at the helm. Now as a fan, I sit and wait and hope they deliver.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Not at all. Treliving talked about a coach that can stay with this team long term and grow along with them.

Plus I don't imagine it would have taken this long if they thought he was a stop gap for 2 years.

2 years is long term haha, the lifespan of coaches in the NHL aren't that long I believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad