Confirmed with Link: Glen Gulutzan named head coach

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
My only indictment is that he sounds too good.

I think he is a very smart progressive/systems coach. How to manage the possession battle and as he put it "working in connected 5 man units."

That sort of advanced and technical X's and O's type stuff that I think you see out of how the Pens and Hawks utilize Letang & Keith.

In these ways I think he is a big step up from Hartley.

How will he be in terms of emphasizing and following up the elite conditioning that Hartley and Ryan VanAsten stressed? Will the Flames still push the envelope on trying to turn everyone into Marty Gelinas?

How will he deal with bad apples and rough personal patches? I understand the argument he makes on having a relationship bank account with the players, but how will that actually work in practice?

He seems to have all the right theory on what to say. And regarding the way we play hockey, I'm pretty sure he and Tre are bang on. But he almost sounds too perfect all around and that to me screams a little of naivety.

All in all this may be a great hire, but I hope that we aren't another learning experiment on his resume and when he's hired once he's 50 in 2021 he'll have figured it all out.

Cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
2 years is long term haha, the lifespan of coaches in the NHL aren't that long I believe.

The lifespan is long as long as the team is successful. They're just the easiest/most immediate thing to change if the team screws up.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
The lifespan is long as long as the team is successful. They're just the easiest/most immediate thing to change if the team screws up.

Yah this is true to a point. Saw some interesting examples of both coaches and player swaps turning teams around. Anaheim made a player move that seemed to spark the team and Pittsburgh made a coaching change. Both had the desired effect (more so for Pittsburgh though) although Pitts swapped some personnel too. Both teams that had terrible starts.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Strange choice

The more they discuss it, the more I like this choice. I'm not willing to throw a dislike or love opinion out there quite yet; but I like what I'm hearing and I'm loving that this guy's an intelligent dude.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't have much of an opinion on him, I know nothing of Gulutzan. Sounds encouraging, whether or not he can command a room, we will see. I'm optimistic though.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't have much of an opinion on him, I know nothing of Gulutzan. Sounds encouraging, whether or not he can command a room, we will see. I'm optimistic though.

He failed miserably in Dallas and has done nothing more than assisting a loser in the last couple years. Somehow that got him a promotion to a HC job again. But we'll see.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Don't see how Dallas could be considered a miserable failure, though.

Their 4th and 5th highest scorers were Ryder and Ott respectively. Their best Dman was Goligoski, Daley and Robidas were the next two pillars. Benn was 22 and Loui Erikssom was their best player by a mile. Loui Eriksson.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Their 4th and 5th highest scorers were Ryder and Ott respectively. Their best Dman was Goligoski, Daley and Robidas were the next two pillars. Benn was 22 and Loui Erikssom was their best player by a mile. Loui Eriksson.

Pre Klingberg, Spezza, Seguin, Eakin.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Pre Klingberg, Spezza, Seguin, Eakin.

That wasn't a good team by any stretch, and he still managed to get them to a decent mark. Keeping in mind that this Calgary team is significantly more talented and we just finished 5th worst in the NHL.

May 27, 2012
Earth

Loui Eriksson did really good though.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
That wasn't a good team by any stretch, and he still managed to get them to a decent mark. Keeping in mind that this Calgary team is significantly more talented and we just finished 5th worst in the NHL.

The only thing Calgary really has on that Dallas team is a better top 3 D. The forward group is actually pretty similar; Monahan ~ Ribeiro (not personality-wise, obviously), Bennett + Gaudreau ~ Benn + Eriksson overall. Once you got past those guys and Backs/Ott (granted I think Backs is better than Ott was), the lack of depth on both teams was painfully apparent.

That said, what he did with that team was pretty respectable.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well I'm now sold on our new coach. Treliving is all about the process and putting in the work and going about it in a systematic method to get an end result. Gulutzan from what I can tell, will be an extension of that. When you look at what our roster is composed of, on paper Gully should be a good fit for a number of reasons. More importantly, I respect Treliving a great deal and like the hire after looking into it more.

I will miss Bob Hartley. I have a great deal of respect for him as a person and think he is of high character. I wish him well.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The only thing Calgary really has on that Dallas team is a better top 3 D. The forward group is actually pretty similar; Monahan ~ Ribeiro (not personality-wise, obviously), Bennett + Gaudreau ~ Benn + Eriksson overall. Once you got past those guys and Backs/Ott (granted I think Backs is better than Ott was), the lack of depth on both teams was painfully apparent.

That said, what he did with that team was pretty respectable.

3 better Dmen is a pretty big plus :laugh:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
When you don't do any research before spitting out nonsense :laugh::laugh:

I dont have to. I got the privilege of watching him coaching the Stars live for two seasons.

Pretty damn sure, there wasnt much to cheer for.

But who knows...maybe he learned how to run a power play since

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I didn't mind the hiring before the press conference. He came across as a total 'yes man' though and I got the impression he was willing to say whatever he felt they wanted to hear.

Maybe I am totally wrong, but I'm not particularly convinced about him at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00