Confirmed with Link: Gleason to Leafs -> Liles + Robertson to Canes.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Oh I just kinda feel JML was in the AHL because of need/fit with MR making it.

So in essence, someone who was playing AHL for us and then to be able to convert that into TG.

Looks like a great move so far.

Not arguing that. Also must remember the coach has a strange tendency to be very stubborn, often illogically so (see Kostka, Ranger, etc.).

End of the day, JML is not "some AHL d-man".

Oldracer

Jan 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Really glad Tim has "found" his game in TO. He was a favorite in Raleigh, and many of us disappointed that he couldn't get it back on track. And JML is working out just fine for Canes (left game last night with UBI) so trade seems to be win-win.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Really glad Tim has "found" his game in TO. He was a favorite in Raleigh, and many of us disappointed that he couldn't get it back on track. And JML is working out just fine for Canes (left game last night with UBI) so trade seems to be win-win.
Yeah, nothing wrong with a trade where both sides can be happy with who they picked up. Guys who get traded aren't necessarily bad players just not the ideal fit for where they currently are.

Glad Liles is getting icetime and definitely glad for what Gleason has brought to the team.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

Gleason plays exactly the game that Toronto needs. JML does the same for Carolina. Both guys are vets and good locker room guys. Trade was a no brainer for both franchises. Good to hear JML's found his way down south.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
We really needed someone like Gleason and had a crazy abundance of PMD. So happy we made this trade and it just seems to balance out our D-core a bit more.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Was really hoping to get him 2 years ago, until he resigned in Carolina for 4 years, then I squashed the dream. Really happy we ended up getting him at low value.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
You know, I dont buy into this "trade worked well for both teams" mantra, sorry. I dont really want to gloat and dont have need to do so, but it seems more and more as lopsided trade.

I mean, Liles is undersized D, below average defensively, with a bit of an edge in him and great rushing. His main asset is his offense and PP QB abilities. With that, Liles has only 2 points in 16 games, his only goal coming against his former team playing around 20:00 TOI.. :amazed: This is, actually, exactly why he found himself in AHL and then was traded - offensive D that does not produce offensive numbers. He lost his spot to rocky and Ranger played ahead of him, which says a lot. Also with ok start after the trade he cooled down significantly and looks clueless again in D zone. I like Liles, but let's be realistic here.

On the other hand, Gleason was a rock back there and Tampa recently found about that hard way. Teams take notice, rest assured. We played soft-ish this year and Gleason was much needed infusion of muscles to D corps. Trade could not come at better time for us with leafs on massive losing stick and playing badly, blown-out few times and sliding in standings fast, outside of PO and with all teams above and around with games in hand!!!
Then these nice guys in Carolina decided to help us out and gifted us Gleason. Leafs turned on a dot and ascended, beating up pretty good teams on the way there. Gleason somewhat surprisingly stabilizes our D, skates great, pinches smart, clears crease, fights, blocks tons of shots and [hilariously] outscores Liles so far.

So, summarizing, we traded 4M of dead cap space for more that useful D, who helped team immediately and contributed in so many ways, while Liles is doing pretty much nothing for CAR. I call it highway robbery. There. I said it.

:laugh:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I love the types of players that Nonis has added to this team since our loss last year to Boston. Bernier for a stable #1 goalie, Gleason as a tough, rugged defenseman, Raymond for cheap secondary scoring, Bodie for rugged depth, and Clarkson and Bolland up front for all around gritty play.

I really feel that the Leafs are a good defenseman and a little more bottom 6 depth away from being a top 3 team in the East. Maybe adding Colin Fraser from the Kings (currently on waivers) would add one of those pieces. Guy's won a Cup and has played a lot of 4th line minutes for LA.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
You know, I dont buy into this "trade worked well for both teams" mantra, sorry. I dont really want to gloat and dont have need to do so, but it seems more and more as lopsided trade.

I mean, Liles is undersized D, below average defensively, with a bit of an edge in him and great rushing. His main asset is his offense and PP QB abilities. With that, Liles has only 2 points in 16 games, his only goal coming against his former team playing around 20:00 TOI.. :amazed: This is, actually, exactly why he found himself in AHL and then was traded - offensive D that does not produce offensive numbers. He lost his spot to rocky and Ranger played ahead of him, which says a lot. Also with ok start after the trade he cooled down significantly and looks clueless again in D zone. I like Liles, but let's be realistic here.

On the other hand, Gleason was a rock back there and Tampa recently found about that hard way. Teams take notice, rest assured. We played soft-ish this year and Gleason was much needed infusion of muscles to D corps. Trade could not come at better time for us with leafs on massive losing stick and playing badly, blown-out few times and sliding in standings fast, outside of PO and with all teams above and around with games in hand!!!
Then these nice guys in Carolina decided to help us out and gifted us Gleason. Leafs turned on a dot and ascended, beating up pretty good teams on the way there. Gleason somewhat surprisingly stabilizes our D, skates great, pinches smart, clears crease, fights, blocks tons of shots and [hilariously] outscores Liles so far.

So, summarizing, we traded 4M of dead cap space for more that useful D, who helped team immediately and contributed in so many ways, while Liles is doing pretty much nothing for CAR. I call it highway robbery. There. I said it.

Team fit. Either take Canes fans word on how he is playing with their team or actually watch their games yourself. You have done neither and have tried to homer your way through this post.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto

Do you really think Liles was giving a fair shot at earning a spot? Barely any preseason games (I believe it was one game), and you call that fair?

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga

Well Carolina does save about 1 million in actual dollars in the last year of the deal and gets a player they have a positional need for vs a player they had no use for.

All in all, they get more for their money and save a million to boot. Not bad for a budget team.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I love the types of players that Nonis has added to this team since our loss last year to Boston. Bernier for a stable #1 goalie, Gleason as a tough, rugged defenseman, Raymond for cheap secondary scoring, Bodie for rugged depth, and Clarkson and Bolland up front for all around gritty play.

To be fair I don't think Nonis had much influence on bringing Troy to Toronto.

But he's done a very nice job in bringing pieces that can really help a playoff team take steps to the next level.

We're still several pieces away, but with our prospect pool continuing to grow and players starting to make positive strides down there, he'll have some flexibility at his disposal to continue to get creative with this roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad