Get to Know Your Fellow Canes Fans - PART II

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Name: Yes, allowed
Age: Modern, with a touch of Stone and Iron (we didn't really have a Bronze Age)
Sex: He-Man Master Of The Universe (not evenings and weekends)
Where You're From: Tampere where the colonization of Tampa really originated from
Where You Live Now: Shining happy Helsinki
Nationality: Martian Finnish
Hair Color: Bad
Eye Color: Visible
Mode of Transportation: Tram, Bike, Foot (downtown)
Job: Bum/Aristocrat
What brought you to HF Boards: Ville Leino
How you became a hockey fan: Skating
How you became a Canes fan: BUFFALOSABERSSUCK
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Fanbase is good even when the team sucks every ass
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Soft spot for the societal Koko Miami Vice project
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Ville Leino
Other Sports You Like: Karate, Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Competition Petanque, Soccer, Practical
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Cheerleading, Curling, Mölkky
College Attended/Attending: Hel Uni
Video Game Systems Owned: PC side of things, self built since Athlon 850 and Matrox G400 which wasn't half bad but the Mushkin PC133@152 aged real fast. Gimme a big arcade cabinet every time. That's where it's at. I did participate in one of the first truly free MMORPG projects long ago, first as a player, then more involved, but that was a long ago. Consoles suck, never got the hang of the miniature joystick
Favorite Game(s): Colony-Wars (not the one you're thinking of), Ultima III, Paradroid, Unreal, anything from Id
Music You Listen To: Right now? Back to 90s Ambient. Different story tomorrow. Will Play Drums For Food
Favorite Movie(s): Threads (1984), Star Wars IX, Citizen Kane (!), Man Bites Dog, Pusher, Gunhed
Least Favorite Person(s): William Gates III, Elon Musk, Vladimir Putin
Favorite Book (authors): old soviet sci-fi like Strugatski bros and Yefremov, Mika Waltari, Stanislav Lem, William Gibson, Charles Peirce
Favorite Comic(s): Krazy Kat, Sandman, Tintin, Asterix, Dirty Pair, ABC Warriors, Rogue Trooper, Judge Dredd, everything by Moebius, Sillage
Favorite Food(s): open ended
Favorite TV Show(s): Ämpäripää Kertoo, The Professionals, The Golden Monkey, Dallas, '80s to '90s news shows
Gang Affiliation(s):

rotsi.jpeg

Last edited:

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Team Finland got the Happiest Nation in the World award for the fifth time in a row.
Team Finland got the fourth World Championship in Cheerleading in a row.
Team Finnish Air Force lost the Douglas Bader Trophy for Best Demo in Farborough back to the Brits.
Coincidence? I see a conspiracy.

• Wow
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Just when I think I can wake up and have a normal morning, even if the Canes suck, and especially Aho and Turbo suck. And then a Prime Minister decides to stir up another controversy. Is there no rest for the wicked?

FRHvADEXwAAdM8D

I strongly recommend anyone considering moving to or visiting Finland to not do it, in the timeline between near future and ever. It'll just be too stressful.

(Note. it's the same jacket she used to go yank Sweden into joining NATO post haste. Which she, admirably, did.)

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I want to imagine Biden being so chirpy.

(She pulled 5. I'm not sure I have that in me, what with all the weighty knowledge and world insight I have gathered, you know.)

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Name: Yes, allowed
Age: Modern, with a touch of Stone and Iron (we didn't really have a Bronze Age)
Sex: He-Man Master Of The Universe (not evenings and weekends)
Where You're From: Tampere where the colonization of Tampa really originated from
Where You Live Now: Shining happy Helsinki
Nationality: Martian Finnish
Hair Color: Bad
Eye Color: Visible
Mode of Transportation: Tram, Bike, Foot (downtown)
Job: Bum/Aristocrat
What brought you to HF Boards: Ville Leino
How you became a hockey fan: Skating
How you became a Canes fan: BUFFALOSABERSSUCK
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Fanbase is good even when the team sucks every ass
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Soft spot for the societal Koko Miami Vice project
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Ville Leino
Other Sports You Like: Karate, Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Competition Petanque, Soccer, Practical
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Cheerleading, Curling, Mölkky
College Attended/Attending: Hel Uni
Video Game Systems Owned: PC side of things, self built since Athlon 850 and Matrox G400 which wasn't half bad but the Mushkin PC133@152 aged real fast. Gimme a big arcade cabinet every time. That's where it's at. I did participate in one of the first truly free MMORPG projects long ago, first as a player, then more involved, but that was a long ago. Consoles suck, never got the hang of the miniature joystick
Favorite Game(s): Colony-Wars (not the one you're thinking of), Ultima III, Paradroid, Unreal, anything from Id
Music You Listen To: Right now? Back to 90s Ambient. Different story tomorrow. Will Play Drums For Food
Favorite Movie(s): Threads (1984), Star Wars IX, Citizen Kane (!), Man Bites Dog, Pusher, Gunhed
Least Favorite Person(s): William Gates III, Elon Musk, Vladimir Putin
Favorite Book (authors): old soviet sci-fi like Strugatski bros and Yefremov, Mika Waltari, Stanislav Lem, William Gibson, Charles Peirce
Favorite Comic(s): Krazy Kat, Sandman, Tintin, Asterix, Dirty Pair, ABC Warriors, Rogue Trooper, Judge Dredd, everything by Moebius, Sillage
Favorite Food(s): open ended
Favorite TV Show(s): Ämpäripää Kertoo, The Professionals, The Golden Monkey, Dallas, '80s to '90s news shows
Gang Affiliation(s):

View attachment 532950
Finnish PM is hot.

Reactions: Negan4Coach

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Finnish PM is hot.
No, she is fit. Not hot, but fit.

Finland's new devoluted Province Assemblies? Done.
Covid? Der Spiegel rates Finland as top spot among 154 countries.
Afghanistan? Job well done.
Economy? Looking good, despite Russia.
Jobs? Better than forecast. Actually hitting their targets.

Not hot.

Good.

What we needed yesterday.

[Edit] I was hoping MV you said cold, not hot. Because cold is what we need. She already kicked Sweden's ass into joining Nato in our pace, very sorry. She's cold when need be. I've never voted for her party, it's too boring, but if they really move on with the times I might think twice. She's so pro defense. Who isn't but I'm showing my youthful age so I digress

Last edited:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I've posted here for a couple days so I figured I could fill this out as best as I can even though I'm really a Coyotes and Lightning fan, though as @Ginger Papa said, I'm more of a fan of the sport of hockey

Name: Tricia
Age: How dare you ask a woman her age! (I'll be 36 next month.)
Sex: Female (see above).
Where You're From: Tempe, Arizona
Where You Live Now: Gainesville, Florida
Nationality: American, eligible for a Republic of China passport if I ever want one (they're not very useful)
Hair Color: Natural hair color is dark brown, currently dyed blonde, will dye it red next month
Eye Color: Green
Mode of Transportation: 2018 Volkswagen GTI, Tron hockey inline skates
Job: Housewife
What brought you to HF Boards: The 2012 playoff photoshop thread. What a legendary thread!
How you became a hockey fan: I've always grown up around sports. While I did find game 4 of the 1996 Stanley Cup finals on TV as a kid once and found it interesting, it didn't draw me in at the time, so it took me a few more years. During the 2001-02 season, I was bored (this is a common theme in my life - I find new things when I'm bored) and found a Coyotes game on Fox Sports Arizona and fell in love.
How you became a Canes fan: Sort of applicable, but I feel like fellow "sun belt" teams should stick together. Except for the Kings, and now the Panthers. They can get bent.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: I shall alter this to be about being a Coyotes fan: annoying those who would want to see my team relocate by merely existing.
Favorite Canes Player(s): Antti Raanta
Favorite NON Canes Player(s): Clayton Keller, Erik Cernak, Marc-André Fleury
Other Sports You Like: Football, baseball, cricket, rugby union, motorsport
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Arizona Coyotes, Arizona Cardinals, Tampa Bay Lightning, Tampa Bay Rays, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
College Attended/Attending: Arizona State University (past), University of Florida (hopeful future)
Video Game Systems Owned: PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, Nintendo Wii
Favorite Game(s): Factorio, Stellaris, Cities: Skylines, Skyrim, Fallout 4, OpenTTD
Music You Listen To: I shall list some of my favorite composers and performers. Frederic Chopin, John Rutter, Richard Wagner, Steven Reineke, Krystian Zimerman, Karl Richter, Arthur Rubinstein.
Favorite Movie(s): Cool Runnings, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Frozen
Favorite Book(s): The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Favorite Food(s): Shaomai, jiaozi, most things southern Chinese. I like to cook.
Favorite TV Show(s): Parks and Recreation, Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Arizona Coyotes - Shane Doan, Tampa Bay Lightning - Erik Cernak, Vegas Golden Knights - Marc-André Fleury
Anything Else: I've played piano for 32 years. I like hockey. I'm not very good at putting any interesting information in these info boxes.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I assume that's the 2013 movie, not the 2010 movie?

(I've only seen the latter.)

I've had a piano for 3 years. Damn is it still easy to type wrong on that thing.

I was not aware that there was a movie titled Frozen that was released in 2010, so, yes, the 2013 one. Fake edit: I looked it up and apparently there are two: an American one (a thriller directed by Adam Green) and one from Hong Kong, directed by Derek Kwok Chi-Kin.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I've posted here for a couple days so I figured I could fill this out as best as I can even though I'm really a Coyotes and Lightning fan, though as @Ginger Papa said, I'm more of a fan of the sport of hockey

Nationality: American, eligible for a Republic of China passport if I ever want one (they're not very useful)
Hair Color: Natural hair color is dark brown, currently dyed blonde, will dye it red next month
What brought you to HF Boards: The 2012 playoff photoshop thread. What a legendary thread!
How you became a hockey fan: I've always grown up around sports. While I did find game 4 of the 1996 Stanley Cup finals on TV as a kid once and found it interesting, it didn't draw me in at the time, so it took me a few more years. During the 2001-02 season, I was bored (this is a common theme in my life - I find new things when I'm bored) and found a Coyotes game on Fox Sports Arizona and fell in love.
How you became a Canes fan: Sort of applicable, but I feel like fellow "sun belt" teams should stick together. Except for the Kings, and now the Panthers. They can get bent.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: I shall alter this to be about being a Coyotes fan: annoying those who would want to see my team relocate by merely existing.
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Arizona Coyotes, Arizona Cardinals, Tampa Bay Lightning, Tampa Bay Rays, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
College Attended/Attending: Arizona State University (past), University of Florida (hopeful future)
Favorite Game(s): Factorio, Stellaris, Cities: Skylines, Skyrim, Fallout 4, OpenTTD
Music You Listen To: I shall list some of my favorite composers and performers. Frederic Chopin, John Rutter, Richard Wagner, Steven Reineke, Krystian Zimerman, Karl Richter, Arthur Rubinstein.
Favorite Food(s): Shaomai, jiaozi, most things southern Chinese. I like to cook.
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Arizona Coyotes - Shane Doan, Tampa Bay Lightning - Erik Cernak, Vegas Golden Knights - Marc-André Fleury
Anything Else: I've played piano for 32 years. I like hockey. I'm not very good at putting any interesting information in these info boxes.
Welcome!

Reactions: Summer Rose

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Hockey *and* OpenTTD *and* piano *and* 餃子?

These are a few of my favorite things!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I just realized my original post in here was 12 years ago, so figured I'd update:

Name: duh...it's BBA
Sex: M
Where You're From: Originally Michigan. Came to NC via MI-->PA-->VT-->NY-->NC
Where You Live Now: Durham
Nationality: Mix, but mainly Italian and German
Hair Color: Brown, but getting more grey
Eye Color: Brown
Mode of Transportation: F150
Job: Retired Electrical Engineer
What brought you to HF Boards: Just looking for a place to discuss hockey back in 2004. Lurked for a couple of years before joining.
How you became a hockey fan: Grew up playing in MI on city outdoor rinks next to my house. My brother and I got our first hockey sticks at a garage sale so I played RH and he played LH simply because those were the sticks my Dad could get for $1. Still remember mine it was a green Northwood (or was it Northland?) stick.
How you became a Canes fan: When I moved to NC
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Originally, the weather. Like how low key it is here though.
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Aho and Slavin
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Matthews, Maker, and Point
Other Sports You Like:
NFL, but not so much anymore.
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Green Bay Packers, Chicago Cubs
Video Game Systems Owned: I don't
Favorite Game(s): None
Music You Listen To: Eclectic.
Favorite Movie(s): Memphis Belle, Die-Hard, My Cousin Vinny, Joe Dirt, Princess Bride, The Replacements, Love Actually,
Favorite Book(s): Too many to name
Favorite Food(s): Italian
Favorite TV Show(s): I don't watch much TV
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: None
Anything else: So far I've met a few on this board IRL. I think it's @Unsustainable @Anton Dubinchuk @DaveG @hurricure @Navin R Slavin

JustJonK

I never did one of these when I first signed onto the board, so here we go...

Name:
Just JonK, of course
Sex: I wish...
Where You're From: Nerk, Ahiya (aka Newark, Ohio)
Where You Live Now: the big ugly rodeo buckle of America's Bible Belt
Nationality: American
Hair Color: What's left of it, light brown going gray
Eye Color: green/brown/gold hazel
Mode of Transportation: 2019 MINI, replacing 2008 Mazda 3
Job: Software Tamer
What brought you to HF Boards: Missed the old Hurricanes board
How you became a hockey fan: Moved to MI in high school, lived a few houses down from a kid who played defense for a junior hockey team.
How you became a Canes fan: Moved to Raleigh in 1992, I think it was, and started attending a few games when the Hurricanes relocated.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Affordability and accessability of the arena, good atmosphere.
Favorite Canes Player(s): Chad LaRose, Nathan Gerbe, Bates Battaglia
Favorite NON Canes Player(s): There are players on other teams?
Other Sports You Like: Motorsports (road racing, particularly), table tennis
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: I don't.
College Attended/Attending: St. Clair County (MI) Community College, Eastern Michigan University, Wake Forest University, North Carolina A&T State University, NC State University.
Video Game Systems Owned: Nintendo Wii (very little-played)
Favorite Game(s): ????
Music You Listen To: Old-school hip-hop, classic rock, '80s alternative, a few others....
Favorite Movie(s): The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai, mostly comedies.
Favorite Book(s): Anything by Stanislaw Lem, Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series
Favorite Food(s): Pretty much anything. Italian, Eastern NC barbecue, some Chinese, nothing very spicy (lost my ability to handle spice a long time ago).
Favorite TV Show(s): None. TV is puerile. ;-)
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: An old Tulsa Oilers promo giveaway sweater.
Anything Else: Once played a former national table tennis champion in a handicap match. Played mixed doubles in a local tournament recently with the 1980 African women's table tennis champion.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I never did one of these when I first signed onto the board, so here we go...

Name:
Just JonK, of course
Sex: I wish...
Where You're From: Nerk, Ahiya (aka Newark, Ohio)
Where You Live Now: the big ugly rodeo buckle of America's Bible Belt
Hair Color: What's left of it, light brown going gray
Eye Color: green/brown/gold hazel
Mode of Transportation: 2019 MINI, replacing 2008 Mazda 3
Job: Software Tamer
What brought you to HF Boards: Missed the old Hurricanes board
How you became a hockey fan: Moved to MI in high school, lived a few houses down from a kid who played defense for a junior hockey team.
How you became a Canes fan: Moved to Raleigh in 1992, I think it was, and started attending a few games when the Hurricanes relocated.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Affordability and accessability of the arena, good atmosphere.
Favorite Canes Player(s): Chad LaRose, Nathan Gerbe, Bates Battaglia
Favorite NON Canes Player(s): There are players on other teams?
Other Sports You Like: Motorsports (road racing, particularly), table tennis
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: I don't.
College Attended/Attending: St. Clair County (MI) Community College, Eastern Michigan University, Wake Forest University, North Carolina A&T State University, NC State University.
Video Game Systems Owned: Nintendo Wii (very little-played)
Favorite Game(s): ????
Music You Listen To: Old-school hip-hop, classic rock, '80s alternative, a few others....
Favorite Movie(s): The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai, mostly comedies.
Favorite Book(s): Anything by Stanislaw Lem, Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series
Favorite Food(s): Pretty much anything. Italian, Eastern NC barbecue, some Chinese, nothing very spicy (lost my ability to handle spice a long time ago).
Favorite TV Show(s): None. TV is puerile. ;-)
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: An old Tulsa Oilers promo giveaway sweater.
Anything Else: Once played a former national table tennis champion in a handicap match. Played mixed doubles in a local tournament recently with the 1980 African women's table tennis champion.
Welcome!

Dundon Mifflin

Jul 14, 2022
Name: Andrew
Where You're From:
Eastern NC
Where You Live Now: A different part of Eastern NC
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Blue
Mode of Transportation: Chevy
Job: High School English Teacher
What brought you to HF Boards: I've been reading it the last couple of months and decided to join.
How you became a hockey fan: I always loosely followed it, but I'm quickly losing interest in basketball so I'm replacing it with hockey. Plus, my young daughter is into watching hockey and stays up to watch the games with me. That is easily my favorite part.
How you became a Canes fan: '02 Cup run
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: They win more than my Wolfpack
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Slavin
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): TBD
Other Sports You Like: Football, Baseball, Golf, and Lacrosse
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Wolfpack, Braves, Panthers (kinda)
College Attended/Attending: NC State
Video Game Systems Owned: Xbox360
Favorite Game(s): NCAA14
Music You Listen To: Anything but Country
Favorite Movie(s): Road House
Favorite Book(s): Any thriller. Vince Flynn and Brad Thor are my favorite authors
Favorite Food(s): I'm not picky
Favorite TV Show(s): Real Housewives series, obviously
Anything Else:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Name: Andrew
Where You're From:
Eastern NC
Where You Live Now: A different part of Eastern NC
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Blue
Mode of Transportation: Chevy
Job: High School English Teacher
What brought you to HF Boards: I've been reading it the last couple of months and decided to join.
How you became a hockey fan: I always loosely followed it, but I'm quickly losing interest in basketball so I'm replacing it with hockey. Plus, my young daughter is into watching hockey and stays up to watch the games with me. That is easily my favorite part.
How you became a Canes fan: '02 Cup run
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: They win more than my Wolfpack
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Slavin
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): TBD
Other Sports You Like: Football, Baseball, Golf, and Lacrosse
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Wolfpack, Braves, Panthers (kinda)
College Attended/Attending: NC State
Video Game Systems Owned: Xbox360
Favorite Game(s): NCAA14
Music You Listen To: Anything but Country
Favorite Movie(s): Road House
Favorite Book(s): Any thriller. Vince Flynn and Brad Thor are my favorite authors
Favorite Food(s): I'm not picky
Favorite TV Show(s): Real Housewives series, obviously
Anything Else:
Welcome!

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
This may not exactly be the right thread for this, but I didn't want to start a new one.

I'm a long-time Blues fan, recently moved to just outside Johnson City, TN. The closest NHL arena to me is Raleigh. 4.5 hours drive....I probably won't just pop in. (I guess I'm about equidistant to Nashville, but I can't stand the Preds.) But I would very much like to see a game in Raleigh some time.

I'm not sure if I have the band-width to follow two teams closely, but I've liked and respected the Canes (and their fan presence on HF helps). I've toyed with having an Eastern Conference team.

I may pop in from time to time this year, and will try to pay closer attention to how the Canes are doing. I need to learn the roster better. When you only face a team twice a season, its easy to have only a superficial knowledge of the team. I know Carolina likes to get quality players for future considerations. Seems reasonable.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and announce myself. I'll be lurking a bit.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
This may not exactly be the right thread for this, but I didn't want to start a new one.

I'm a long-time Blues fan, recently moved to just outside Johnson City, TN. The closest NHL arena to me is Raleigh. 4.5 hours drive....I probably won't just pop in. (I guess I'm about equidistant to Nashville, but I can't stand the Preds.) But I would very much like to see a game in Raleigh some time.

I'm not sure if I have the band-width to follow two teams closely, but I've liked and respected the Canes (and their fan presence on HF helps). I've toyed with having an Eastern Conference team.

I may pop in from time to time this year, and will try to pay closer attention to how the Canes are doing. I need to learn the roster better. When you only face a team twice a season, its easy to have only a superficial knowledge of the team. I know Carolina likes to get quality players for future considerations. Seems reasonable.

Your guys shit-kicked the Bruins in 2019, so you're alright by me.

You've also got Faulk playing for you now, so you're double alright by me.

Welcome aboard.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Welcome. Be prepared to be re-educated about the CORRECT form of BBQ when you are around or come to a tailgate at the arena.

Cheers!

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Welcome. Be prepared to be re-educated about the CORRECT form of BBQ when you are around or come to a tailgate at the arena.

Cheers!
I had a brief stop in Montana prior to this, but 7 years different spots in Texas before that. I learned how to smoke brisket there, and to favor vinegar-based BBQ sauce. I’ve seen signs around here advertising Memphis style. I would welcome learning the nuances of local style. First of all, what do you call it? Secondly, tailgate at hockey games?! Sounds wonderful. I’ve only seen that at special occasions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad