Get to Know Your Fellow Canes Fans - PART II

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hey, hag. I noticed another member here who is either from Potsdam or has family there. I used to travel through Potsdam going from Syracuse to college in Plattsburgh (depending on the route chosen). So there's at least a couple of us here who have been exposed to those cold, north winters.

I think you'll find more than a couple. From what I can tell, we've got quite a few HF Canes posters who came from and/or actively live in NY, MA, CT, Maine, Vermont, Upper Michigan, Chicago, Canada, as well as a few other frigid locations.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I think you'll find more than a couple. From what I can tell, we've got quite a few HF Canes posters who came from and/or actively live in NY, MA, CT, Maine, Vermont, Upper Michigan, Chicago, Canada, as well as a few other frigid locations.

Ah, nostalgia. How I miss those -20 deg days. Um, wait a minute . . .

Reactions: hag65

VibesAlive

Coastal Jerk
Jun 3, 2018
Salt Marsh NC
I never introduced myself properly before starting to post here. Glad to reconnect with some of the old board members from the other site, and get to know the folks here.

First, I'm mostly full of shit when it comes to hockey, am opinionated, but don't take things too seriously. I go off on rampages from time to time, but then I calm down, so if that happens, sorry in advance. I love the humor and all things funny. Life is too short.

I'm a wildlife biologist by profession, and work for the NC Wildlife Resources Commission. I oversee all of our migratory game bird programs. That means I am responsible for all of our activities that deal with birds that get shot at. I work a lot with the other state wildlife agencies, and the US and Canadian Wildlife Services through what we call the North American Flyway system. I mostly manage game bird populations through continental adaptive processes that consider natural mortality, sport harvest, productivity, and habitat availability, and their impacts on long-term population trends. But enough about that, as y'all probably don't care anyway.

I'm a long time Canes fan and STM. Besides some college football (alum twice over from University of Georgia) I only pay attention to the hockey. Love the game. My grandfather got me started in hockey taking me to ECHL games back in the day. He really didn't care for the hockey that much but he loved the Friday Night Fights, as he called the games. As a young kid, I have to say, I liked it to. Grown men beating the shit out of each other created some lasting memories. But, unlike him, I grew to love the game, not so much the fights. The ECHL was tough back then.

Anyway, I spend most of my time outdoors in my off time, and love to hunt and fish. I've found on the other site, not that many people do that. Maybe I'm an outlier here too.

Thanks for the warm welcomes I have already received.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I never introduced myself properly before starting to post here. Glad to reconnect with some of the old board members from the other site, and get to know the folks here.

First, I'm mostly full of shit when it comes to hockey, am opinionated, but don't take things too seriously. I go off on rampages from time to time, but then I calm down, so if that happens, sorry in advance. I love the humor and all things funny. Life is too short.

I'm a wildlife biologist by profession, and work for the NC Wildlife Resources Commission. I oversee all of our migratory game bird programs. That means I am responsible for all of our activities that deal with birds that get shot at. I work a lot with the other state wildlife agencies, and the US and Canadian Wildlife Services through what we call the North American Flyway system. I mostly manage game bird populations through continental adaptive processes that consider natural mortality, sport harvest, productivity, and habitat availability, and their impacts on long-term population trends. But enough about that, as y'all probably don't care anyway.

I'm a long time Canes fan and STM. Besides some college football (alum twice over from University of Georgia) I only pay attention to the hockey. Love the game. My grandfather got me started in hockey taking me to ECHL games back in the day. He really didn't care for the hockey that much but he loved the Friday Night Fights, as he called the games. As a young kid, I have to say, I liked it to. Grown men beating the shit out of each other created some lasting memories. But, unlike him, I grew to love the game, not so much the fights. The ECHL was tough back then.

Anyway, I spend most of my time outdoors in my off time, and love to hunt and fish. I've found on the other site, not that many people do that. Maybe I'm an outlier here too.

Thanks for the warm welcomes I have already received.

Hey Vibes. When I see a post of yours here I still think Coastal rather than Vibes, lol. I guess your profile pic trumps your screen name for me still.

I was a little surprised you didn't jump in the conversation when someone was asking about hunting dogs. Haven't you also had quite a bit of experience on that front?

VibesAlive

Coastal Jerk
Jun 3, 2018
Salt Marsh NC
Hey Vibes. When I see a post of yours here I still think Coastal rather than Vibes, lol. I guess your profile pic trumps your screen name for me still.

I was a little surprised you didn't jump in the conversation when someone was asking about hunting dogs. Haven't you also had quite a bit of experience on that front?
It's the beard, lol.

Well dadgum, sorry I missed that conversation. I have lot's of connections with hunting dogs. Mans best friend after all.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Anyone here have experience with raising/training/owning hunting dogs? It's been on my mind lately but no idea where to even begin

Not really sure, I'd probably consider flushing breeds, retrievers or pointers or others I don't know about. All depends and there's a very good chance I won't have the time/ability to handle it anyways, but was curious about them. I have a small family dog who is close to 15, in great health and I wouldn't be surprised if he lives another 5 years but that could obviously change any day now... Been thinking about options for a next dog and have been pheasant hunting a bunch this season with a buddy who has a decent lab so it got me thinking. That friend hasn't been much help answering my questions... Would want a dog who can fit the regular reasons to have a dog and then also go hunting/outdoors stuff with during the season. Whether it's birds, small game, waterfowl, isn't a big deal I can be flexible there as I like all kinds of hunting I've done. The more versatile the better probably, but I don't know how much time is required to train them or if there are any breeds that could be left alone at home for stretches of time while I'm at work, etc.

It's the beard, lol.

Well dadgum, sorry I missed that conversation. I have lot's of connections with hunting dogs. Mans best friend after all.

If you want to pick up the conversation I'm thinking you can click on the arrow to go back to one of ADs original posts and reply to it.

Last edited:

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
OK. Before this season started I identified myself as a Jets/Canes fan, in that order. Since Jets parted ways with Laine in a trade I considered idiotic (well, at the moment it looks like I was wrong, but I still don't think Dubois is the piece that elevates their game as much as Laine could), I stepped out from there and chose to look around for a while because I was too busy at work to actually have any energy left to follow hockey very closely. Given the following arguments are true:
-Columbus is trash and even though I kinda like the organization, it just doesn't feel like "my team"
-During the last couple of years, Canes have increased their quota of Finns to an acceptable level
-I really like Hakanpää, trading for him was a good move
-Canes organization and the fanbase is great - their sense of humor often matches mine, which is a good thing in my books (and probably bad in many others)
-Let's face it, I spend the majority of my time on HFB on this board (mostly because of memes, because in order to have some meaningful input on other topics I'd have to watch the games and it's time-consuming)
- @Unsustainable is a HFB legend

Following deductive logic, now that the situation at work is getting a bit easier and playoffs are approaching I think I don't have other options: I have to promote Canes as my #1 team.

Time will show whether I adopt Columbus as my 2nd team, but for now the #2 spot is up for grabs.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
OK. Before this season started I identified myself as a Jets/Canes fan, in that order. Since Jets parted ways with Laine in a trade I considered idiotic (well, at the moment it looks like I was wrong, but I still don't think Dubois is the piece that elevates their game as much as Laine could), I stepped out from there and chose to look around for a while because I was too busy at work to actually have any energy left to follow hockey very closely. Given the following arguments are true:
-Columbus is trash and even though I kinda like the organization, it just doesn't feel like "my team"
-During the last couple of years, Canes have increased their quota of Finns to an acceptable level
-Canes organization and the fanbase is great - their sense of humor often matches mine, which is a good thing in my books (and probably bad in many others)
-Let's face it, I spend the majority of my time on HFB on this board (mostly because of memes, because in order to have some meaningful input on other topics I'd have to watch the games and it's time-consuming)

Following deductive logic, now that the situation at work is getting a bit easier and playoffs are approaching I think I don't have other options: I have to promote Canes as my #1 team.

Time will show whether I adopt Columbus as my 2nd team, but for now the #2 spot is up for grabs.
Welcome!

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

TERVETUOLLA HELVETTIN.

Reactions: DaveG and Lempo

swissdude

May 18, 2019
As a Swiss, I obviously follow the teams with Swiss players in their roster and don't have too close a connection to the franchises and I rarely share the fans' animosities and rivalries towards opponents. So I do not begrudge the Hawks (Suter, Kurashev), Devils (Hischier, Siegentaler), Preds (Josi), Wild (Fiala) etc. any success. But I would say that the Canes are now at the top of my list, firstly because I like the style of the team and they have a likeable coach in Rod. As a side note I have to mention that I really appreciate that on the canes website in the postgame interviews with Nino also the part in Swiss German is available which I find very funny because at most 4 million people on this planet really understand what he answers lol

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
As a Swiss, I obviously follow the teams with Swiss players in their roster and don't have too close a connection to the franchises and I rarely share the fans' animosities and rivalries towards opponents. So I do not begrudge the Hawks (Suter, Kurashev), Devils (Hischier, Siegentaler), Preds (Josi), Wild (Fiala) etc. any success. But I would say that the Canes are now at the top of my list, firstly because I like the style of the team and they have a likeable coach in Rod. As a side note I have to mention that I really appreciate that on the canes website in the postgame interviews with Nino also the part in Swiss German is available which I find very funny because at most 4 million people on this planet really understand what he answers lol
Welcome!

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Since I've adopted the Canes as my second team, by virtue of living in South Carolina, and am spending more time hanging around here, I figured I'd introduce myself.

Name: Jeff
Sex: Male
Where You're From: Erie, PA
Where You Live Now: Mauldin, SC
Nationality: 'MURICA BABY!
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel
Mode of Transportation: Toyota
Job: Logisticus Project Manager
What brought you to HF Boards: I've been here 11 years - I honestly don't remember anymore.
How you became a hockey fan: Grew up in a hockey household, always rooting for the Wings.
How you became a Canes fan: In December 2016(?), my wife and I went to Raleigh to visit my sister-in-law and her partner, who were visiting her partner's family in Durham. We spent the weekend, and Saturday night went to PNC arena to see Canes - Sabres. I was hooked - enjoyed the environment and the fans.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: The fans. Sounds hokey, I know, but I've interacted with a bunch of y'all here, on other boards and in person and haven't come across an asshole yet.
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Dougie.
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Dylan Larkin
Other Sports You Like: Baseball (first love)
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Cleveland Indians, San Diego Padres
College Attended/Attending: PSU graduate
Video Game Systems Owned: I have a very old XBox 360 that I use as a DVD player, does that count?
Favorite Game(s): Umm...
Music You Listen To: I'll listen to just about anything. Huge Jason Isbell and Josh Ritter fan.
Favorite Movie(s): Ferris Bueller
Favorite Book(s): Too many to list. I read two - three books a week.
Favorite Food(s): Mexican and Italian.
Favorite TV Show(s): Again, don't watch a bunch of TV.
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Zetterberg and Yzerman
Anything Else:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Since I've adopted the Canes as my second team, by virtue of living in South Carolina, and am spending more time hanging around here, I figured I'd introduce myself.

What brought you to HF Boards: I've been here 11 years - I honestly don't remember anymore.
How you became a hockey fan: Grew up in a hockey household, always rooting for the Wings.
How you became a Canes fan: In December 2016(?), my wife and I went to Raleigh to visit my sister-in-law and her partner, who were visiting her partner's family in Durham. We spent the weekend, and Saturday night went to PNC arena to see Canes - Sabres. I was hooked - enjoyed the environment and the fans.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: The fans. Sounds hokey, I know, but I've interacted with a bunch of y'all here, on other boards and in person and haven't come across an asshole yet.
Video Game Systems Owned: I have a very old XBox 360 that I use as a DVD player, does that count?
Music You Listen To: I'll listen to just about anything. Huge Jason Isbell and Josh Ritter fan.
Anything Else:

SoupNazi: "I don't watch a lot of TV"

Also SoupNazi: "I'll name myself after a character from a tv show"

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
SoupNazi: "I don't watch a lot of TV"

Also SoupNazi: "I'll make myself after a character from a tv show"
Ha, yeah.

By "I don't watch a lot of TV" I mean that if you guys start discussing something currently on, I'm gonna be totally lost.

Reactions: DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Anything Else:
Welcome!

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Name: Riley
Where You're From: Ottawa Ontario
Where You Live Now: Ottawa Ontario half the year, NYC the other half
Nationality: Canadian
Eye Color: Green
Mode of Transportation: Car or cycle
Job: Electrician
What brought you to HF Boards: No clue honestly
How you became a hockey fan: Via parents taking me to games at a young age
How you became a Canes fan: Im a pretty neutral NHL fan who watches a ton of teams and Canes is one of them. Nothing special.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Well currently it’s the vibe on this board
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Slavin, Svech
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Stutzle, Coleman, Zibby, Pageau
Other Sports You Like: NFL, F1, WRC
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Giants, Nets, Mets
College Attended/Attending: Algonquin
Video Game Systems Owned: PS4
Favorite Game(s): Cod Cold War, F1, project cars 2
Music You Listen To: Harder rock. Fav bands are Bring me the Horizon, Starset, Shinedown, Linkin park, Motionless in White
Favorite Movie(s): The Gentleman
Favorite Book(s): Not for me
Favorite Food(s): Steak, Ribs & Wings
Favorite TV Show(s): Meh none
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe:

Sharks- #EK65
VGK- Fleury
Caps- Ovi
Pens- Malkin/ Crosby x2
Bolts: Coleman
Kings- Doughty
NJD- Schneider/Subban
NYR- Lundquvist
NYI-Pageau/ Tavares
Jets- Laine
OTT- Karlsson/Redden/Neil/Alfie/Chabot
Van- Boeser
MTL- Price
Leafs- Matthews
Sabers- Eichel
Oilers- McDavid
Bruins- Pasta
Blues- Tank

Other jerseys:
NFL-
NY Jets: Bell
NY Giants: Barkley (home and away)
Bills: White
Ravens: Jackson
49ers: Kittle
Bucs: Evans

NBA-
Nets: Ivring
Lakers: Howard
Anything Else:
Big road/gravel cyclist. Also big into competitive cod & love Datsuns.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Name: Riley
Where You're From: Ottawa Ontario
Where You Live Now: Ottawa Ontario half the year, NYC the other half
Nationality: Canadian
Eye Color: Green
Mode of Transportation: Car or cycle
Job: Electrician
What brought you to HF Boards: No clue honestly
How you became a hockey fan: Via parents taking me to games at a young age
How you became a Canes fan: Im a pretty neutral NHL fan who watches a ton of teams and Canes is one of them. Nothing special.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Well currently it’s the vibe on this board
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Slavin, Svech
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Stutzle, Coleman, Zibby, Pageau
Other Sports You Like: NFL, F1, WRC
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Giants, Nets, Mets
College Attended/Attending: Algonquin
Video Game Systems Owned: PS4
Favorite Game(s): Cod Cold War, F1, project cars 2
Music You Listen To: Harder rock. Fav bands are Bring me the Horizon, Starset, Shinedown, Linkin park, Motionless in White
Favorite Movie(s): The Gentleman
Favorite Book(s): Not for me
Favorite Food(s): Steak, Ribs & Wings
Favorite TV Show(s): Meh none
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe:

Sharks- #EK65
VGK- Fleury
Caps- Ovi
Pens- Malkin/ Crosby x2
Bolts: Coleman
Kings- Doughty
NJD- Schneider/Subban
NYR- Lundquvist
NYI-Pageau/ Tavares
Jets- Laine
OTT- Karlsson/Redden/Neil/Alfie/Chabot
Van- Boeser
MTL- Price
Leafs- Matthews
Sabers- Eichel
Oilers- McDavid
Bruins- Pasta
Blues- Tank

Other jerseys:
NFL-
NY Jets: Bell
NY Giants: Barkley (home and away)
Bills: White
Ravens: Jackson
49ers: Kittle
Bucs: Evans

NBA-
Nets: Ivring
Lakers: Howard
Anything Else:
Big road/gravel cyclist. Also big into competitive cod.
Welcome!

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1