GDT: Germany vs Czechs QF at WC

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm expecting a very close score and very hard fought game.

Grubauer (.889 in NHL and .915 here) may be slightly better than Vejmelka (.898 in NHL and 929 here).

Seider is better than anything we have on D AINEC.

Our forwards are deeper. Mind you, our NHL guys have underwhelmed (except Pasta) and we are being led by Cervenka, Krejci and Blumel on offence.

Our D is deeper after Seider (eg. he's better than Hronek but our next 5 are probably stronger than the next 5 German D.. maybe)

I've read (unconfirmed) that Stutzl is out.

Czechs have scored exactly 1 goal in their last 2 games and are now facing a good NHL goalie and a very disciplined team.

Good luck to both.. I'm guessing a 2-1 game. I'll pick Czechs out of bias and HOPE but think it's a 50-50 matchup and could see the well coached German's just not giving one inch of ice.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I'm expecting a very close score and very hard fought game.

Grubauer (.889 in NHL and .915 here) may be slightly better than Vejmelka (.898 in NHL and 929 here).

Seider is better than anything we have on D AINEC.

Our forwards are deeper. Mind you, our NHL guys have underwhelmed (except Pasta) and we are being led by Cervenka, Krejci and Blumel on offence.

Our D is deeper after Seider (eg. he's better than Hronek but our next 5 are probably stronger than the next 5 German D.. maybe)

I've read (unconfirmed) that Stutzl is out.

Czechs have scored exactly 1 goal in their last 2 games and are now facing a good NHL goalie and a very disciplined team.

Good luck to both.. I'm guessing a 2-1 game. I'll pick Czechs out of bias and HOPE but think it's a 50-50 matchup and could see the well coached German's just not giving one inch of ice.
I think that’s a very fair and accurate assessment of the tie. The only thing I disagree with is “good luck to both”. Nothing at all against the German team, but this is not a game I wish them good luck in 😀

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Last year pesan completely changed lineup before quarters. Jalonen has kept it very consistent.

No changes at all which I applaud.

Our D is a group of hard working guys that can't really put up offence. I like everything else and it's not like we have better D options. Wish they had gotten Kral and galvas personally.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Here are some interesting facts for the non Finnish people:

Both of the head coaches are Finnish head coaches:
-Toni Söderholm for GER
-Kari Jalonen for CZE

Kari Jalonen is actually Söderholm's mentor. Söderholm himself just said that in an interview. They have history together in team HIFK and Kari Jalonen helped out a bit when Söderholm was coaching Germany.

Another funny thing is that the stadium where this game will be played is HIFK's ice hockey stadium. It's some kind of home stadium for both of these coaches, especially for Söderholm who had a long career as a player in HIFK.

Toni Söderholm played as a player 463 games for HIFK, so more than 230 games in that same ice hockey stadium.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
There we go.. weird penalty to start and a weird PP with tonnes of possession but nothing... Krejci to Pastrnak!

Scoring first was key for us.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Krejci having himself an afternoon...

Loved how our lowest player was hronek.lol.

Cervenka just keeps going and going. Much prefer Hertl in front of goalie over stransky.

That goal was 4 one tap passes to back if net... Work I'd art. I never get to type that during Czech games!

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
Tbh the only thing seperating germans and the czechs are those two power play goals. Hopefully we can get one early in the 2nd

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Tbh the only thing seperating germans and the czechs are those two power play goals. Hopefully we can get one early in the 2nd
Agreed... The only difference is the PP and Krejci/Pasta.

We desperately need some secondary scoring from guys like Blumel, Vrana, Hertl and Hronek.

A 5 on 5 goal would be nice too

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Both PPs were excellent. The 5/5 game looks very close, no big difference between the teams. Germany is showing they are a really good team, well organized and with a few interesting individualities as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad